Senior shoot with my new 85mm 1.8

WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
edited August 13, 2009 in People
So thanks to all of you here and the advice I got when I posed a question of what new stuff to buy I am now out 4k! Better sell the old stuff quick before the cc bill comes! I bought a D700 as backup to the D3 and an 85mm 1.8 nikkor. Decided that the 1.4 just wouldn't be worth the extra 600.00 I also bought lots of other goodies on my trip to B&H in NYC. Here are my first, straight out of the box shots with Nicole...my latest senior. The last one is with the 70-200 but I found the 85mm very friendly to use and seems to be tack sharp. What do you all think??

615827023_meqz6-L.jpg

615825178_jLVGw-L.jpg

615828084_F8hDw-L.jpg

615827745_guVTa-L.jpg

615826681_sfxLr-L.jpg
Snady :thumb
my money well spent :D
Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!

Comments

• VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    NICE! VERY nice.Thanks for sharing, I love posts like this. I think they all look fantastic. In #1 the color is just beautiful.

I also just got some goodies. The d700 is my new big gun lol. I got the 85 mm 1.4, I need all the help I can get! Check out my post.."recent clients" I think most of those were with that lens. I think those two items have advanced my photos by leaps and bounds. This is my first full frame camera, what fun.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Colors and tone are really nice. Her expression leaves alot to be desired. She's very attractive, but you could literally seperate just the face in each frame and it's IDENTICAL. Make 'em laugh, be a smarta$$....something to lighten the mood and get some teeth! When they laugh from the belly, they tend to lean, bend, lower the head, move it from one side or the other. Just do "something" to get the images a bit more candid. Hold on.....WAIT A SECOND!! That's ONLY if that's what they want. This series is just very rigid. Only my opinion however, and that opinion applies only to the comp and character of your subject....not your technical approach. thumb.gif

...and a quick "what is that?" question. Last image, right elbow....flower shadow from OCF to her right?

I should also state your lighting in all of these is fantastic!
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    VayCayMom wrote:
    NICE! VERY nice.Thanks for sharing, I love posts like this. I think they all look fantastic. In #1 the color is just beautiful.

I also just got some goodies. The d700 is my new big gun lol. I got the 85 mm 1.4, I need all the help I can get! Check out my post.."recent clients" I think most of those were with that lens. I think those two items have advanced my photos by leaps and bounds. This is my first full frame camera, what fun.

Thanks VayCay! I love all my new toys.... they are well worth every penny... I do have to say though that my shoe and bag collection is non existent due to my love of techy geek toys and not any girly things.... $5.00 flip flops are working for now! And I don't listen to anybody that says that they camera doesn't matter... it does because it gives more confidence to the photographer and makes them strive for better!
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited August 10, 2009
    Idlewild wrote:
    Colors and tone are really nice. Her expression leaves alot to be desired. She's very attractive, but you could literally seperate just the face in each frame and it's IDENTICAL. Make 'em laugh, be a smarta$$....something to lighten the mood and get some teeth! When they laugh from the belly, they tend to lean, bend, lower the head, move it from one side or the other. Just do "something" to get the images a bit more candid. Hold on.....WAIT A SECOND!! That's ONLY if that's what they want. This series is just very rigid. Only my opinion however, and that opinion applies only to the comp and character of your subject....not your technical approach. thumb.gif

...and a quick "what is that?" question. Last image, right elbow....flower shadow from OCF to her right?

I should also state your lighting in all of these is fantastic!

Thanks for the comment Idlewild.... The expression thing.... these were my choices. I have many others in her gallery. She wasn't really that smiley with teeth cause she has a strange? smile? I can't explain it. But technically I thought these were some of the better ones! I am glad you appreciate that!
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Very, very nice.thumb.gif I'm liking the first and 4th ones the best.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • chaswes5chaswes5 Registered Users Posts: 10 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    I use my D700 with the 85mm as often as I can. It is like a marriage made in heaven.
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Over all very good. The fill flash is, a tad bright for my taste, in most of the shots. But that could be personal taste, and i'm not a expert either. That being said, I think # 5 is right on. # 2 seems like the flowers and such are a lighter green than they should be, and just don't look spot on. Just some CC

Roger Lund
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Congrats on the new lens. These shots are quite lovely!thumb.gif
    edited August 10, 2009
    RogerLund wrote:
    Over all very good. The fill flash is, a tad bright for my taste, in most of the shots. But that could be personal taste, and i'm not a expert either. That being said, I think # 5 is right on. # 2 seems like the flowers and such are a lighter green than they should be, and just don't look spot on. Just some CC

Roger Lund

Thanks for the c/c :D Interesting that you are the second poster that sees fill flashheadscratch.gif .... this is all existing light. No flash at all. Only a reflector in the last one. I do tend to like my pics a little brighter than most. It is personal taste when it comes to those things. I like bright and sunny where others like dark and moody. It was the PP that made those flowers look lighter green... but they were light anyway.
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Must be the reflector light then, and I shoot mostly natural light, so I am sure that makes me notice light more.

Roger Lund
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I like all of them but I agree that #1 and #4 are stand outs. I want to compliment you on the angle you have her positioned in #4 compared to others I have seen. Others shoot straight on and then you have feet and shoes shooting out of the top of the head. The 45ish degree angle worked very well on this shot. Little too much down the shirt for my taste but very nice shot.

I agree too about the expression but it works on her. She is very attractive and the smile seems to work well. Some folks look good with a big toothy grin while others the more solemn closed mouth smile is good. I like it.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    All are very nice. I know you client will be very happy.

New D700 and 85 1.8. Now I have NAS...you pushed me over the edge...

NAS = Nikon Acquisition Syndrom...must buy new gear, must buy new toys...

Wife has big bat...no new toys for a while...Laughing.gif...
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • TrevlanTrevlan Registered Users Posts: 649 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Sandy, the shots look great. Wait until you are really comfortable and sexy with the 1.8. It's makes your flash 4x more powerfull. Once you learn to control the near and far sharpness, you can shoot some incredibly sharp images. These were shot with my 1.8 all natural light on my measly D40. Imagine on your D700...

583174310_KgCMr-L.jpg

583176390_5UhGF-L.jpg

584500296_qGBab-L.jpg

Learn to use this thing, you'll love it.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html
    Frank Martinez
    Nikon Shooter
    It's all about the moment...
    edited August 11, 2009
    Ed911 wrote:
    All are very nice. I know you client will be very happy.

New D700 and 85 1.8. Now I have NAS...you pushed me over the edge...

NAS = Nikon Acquisition Syndrom...must buy new gear, must buy new toys...

Wife has big bat...no new toys for a while...Laughing.gif...

Awww.... poor Ed. See I am smart...my husband doesn't ever look at the credit cards..... so I buy and pay and he never knows:D Though...I sacrifice buying other stuff like clothes and shoes and groceries to keep the budget...gotta have those techy toys!! And...just to make you more jealous...My D700 is just a backup...haven't even taken it out of the box yet.... still to much in love with my D3. I will pray that you get your new toys soon!
    edited August 11, 2009
    Trevlan wrote:
    Sandy, the shots look great. Wait until you are really comfortable and sexy with the 1.8. It's makes your flash 4x more powerfull. Once you learn to control the near and far sharpness, you can shoot some incredibly sharp images. These were shot with my 1.8 all natural light on my measly D40. Imagine on your D700...

583174310_KgCMr-L.jpg

583176390_5UhGF-L.jpg

584500296_qGBab-L.jpg

Learn to use this thing, you'll love it.

http://www.dofmaster.com/dofjs.html

thanks Frank...I'm loving it on the D3...haven't tried with the d700. Those were all natural night. My flash hasn't seen my hotshoe in like a gazillion years it seems. It has made me learn to find the light. With the volume I am doing lately I certainly am getting practice! I want that calculator for my blackberry... why isn't that an option?? oh and btw...how come all your lady friends have big boobs??rolleyes1.gif
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    thanks Frank...I'm loving it on the D3...haven't tried with the d700. Those were all natural night. My flash hasn't seen my hotshoe in like a gazillion years it seems. It has made me learn to find the light. With the volume I am doing lately I certainly am getting practice! I want that calculator for my blackberry... why isn't that an option?? oh and btw...how come all your lady friends have big boobs??rolleyes1.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Sandy, these are yet another beautiful set. I LOVE that you have such a distinctive style, whether it's in studio or outside. I love the way you're "finding the light"

(and Frank, those are some beautimous shots you got there, too!)
    edited August 13, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Sandy, these are yet another beautiful set. I LOVE that you have such a distinctive style, whether it's in studio or outside. I love the way you're "finding the light"

(and Frank, those are some beautimous shots you got there, too!)

Thanks Diva... I hope that I am just finding a style and not getting boring. I am always looking for new poses or things to do to change it up but in the end it seems...I like what I like.... I just hope that most of the people who come to me know that that is what they are getting.... I am also hoping that all photogs are walking around in a daze looking at catchlights in everybody's eyes and how the light hit hair etc and it isn't just me looking like a spaced out ditz! Still trying to get to the same level as some others around here :D
  • DieselDiesel Registered Users Posts: 9 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Great Shots! My favorites, 4th and 5th! Thanks for sharing...!!