From the Edge | C&C Welcome

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's another from the Toroweap Adventure. It wasn't taken durring the "Sweet Light" times, but I rather like it. Compositionally, I wish the tree wasn't getting cut off on the left, but the horizon needed some straightening and I lost that part of the tree because of it.

615451425_L4pNF-XL.jpg

C&C encouraged! :D
Shot Specs - ISO 100, f9, 1/400sec
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 10, 2009
    It's a beautiful shot, Chris. Compositionally, and I admit I'm not the best judge, the photo feels a little bottom heavy to me. I would crop some off the bottom such that you have the same amount of rock at the lowest point (under the river) as you have visible sky above the mountains. That would give it a nice framing, me thinks.

Cheers,
    -joel
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Nice shot, Chris! The earthy tones are beautiful. clap.gif I agree with Joel about the composition...perhaps just a little bottom heavy...not bad at all though. I only mention it because Joel's astute eye caught it. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Thanks for the quick responses, Joel & Mahesh!

A quick fake crop (piece of paper held to the screen) says that I like that idea! I'll work with it a bit tonight when I get home to the .psd! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 11, 2009
    Recropped
    617011768_vjdux-XL.jpg

Here's the recropped version, I also added a slight gradient to the sky to give it a little more color.
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    The reworked version looks great, Chris. Good idea about the gradient on the sky too! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
    edited August 11, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    The reworked version looks great, Chris. Good idea about the gradient on the sky too! thumb.gif

Thanks, Mahesh! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I dont know if I like the crop, but I do like the color of that river!...(we got lucky, usually its brown)
    Aaron Nelson
    edited August 11, 2009
    I dont know if I like the crop, but I do like the color of that river!...(we got lucky, usually its brown)

Well, I have to admit... I doctored the river color a bit. SOOC it was very much more greenish/brown but it blended in too much with the surroundings. Plus after having done some work to help out the company's cartorgrapher lately, I feel that rivers should be blue to show that they're rivers! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Phil TompsonPhil Tompson Banned Posts: 46 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I like the reworked one, softens things up a bit. I do agree that the river is an awesome color. You get props from me.