Options

EZPrints charges less than smugmug?

marlinspikemarlinspike Registered Users Posts: 2,095 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
EZPrints charges 85 cents for a 5x7 now, so why does smugmug still charge 99 cents? It seems just about everything other than 4x6 is now cheaper from ezprints than smugmug.
Richard

Comments

• Options
    KhaosKhaos Registered Users Posts: 2,435 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Making profit is the goal of any business?
  • Options
    GREAPERGREAPER Registered Users Posts: 3,113 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Of course...?

How could smugmug use them as a supplier and charge less? I dont think they are here to subsidize my prints. Even charging the same price would have them opperating at a loss. Of course they charge more.
  • Options
    tmlphototmlphoto Registered Users Posts: 1,444 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    I think Marlin may have a point here. If I'm not mistaken, Smugmug must contract with EZprints for a "wholesale" print price that allows them a profit even if their retail price is the same as EZprints "retail" price. If EZprints has lowered their "retail" price then its possibel a lower "wholesale" price could be negotiated and some of the difference passed on....Or maybe I have no idea what I'm talking about headscratch.gif .
    Thomas :D

TML Photography
    tmlphoto.com
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    EZPrints charges 85 cents for a 5x7 now, so why does smugmug still charge 99 cents? It seems just about everything other than 4x6 is now cheaper from ezprints than smugmug.
    Richard

and why not? smugmug offers about 1000 features that ezprints doesn't.
  • Options
    edited June 26, 2005
    Well, because IIRC (which to be fair doesn't mean much), smugmug used to match the print prices to ezprints, then ezprints dropped the prices and smugmug didn't. Plus, if smugmug does have a wholesale contract with ezprints, then they charge on top of that, then they take a commission, and charge $100/year for the pro, which a recent post indicated will be moving to $200/year...well then it gets way to expensive for me and I'm going to have to come up with some other way.
    Richard
  • Options
    BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    This has already been discussed here...
    http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=10091&highlight=ezprints

What it comes down to is that smugmug (even though they probably pay a wholesale price to EZprints) needs to add a markup for profit and to cover the additional costs of their superior customer service and ordering options. If you have a problem with your EZprints ordered through smugmug, you're basically going to get a free new set of "corrected" prints, whether the problem was yours, smugmug's, or EZprints'. If things go wrong with an EZprints direct order... well good luck with that.

Rember smugmug also provides additional/different ordering features compared to EZprints (i.e. cropping, color correction, etc.)

Lastly, if you're a pro, smugmug offers that same customer service to your clients--which saves you money if they have any problems.

You get what you pay for, and many of us feel it's worth paying smugmug for their service. For others, that may not be as important.

Hope that helps,
    Ben
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Yeah, I'm going to do some market analysis, and if enough people have paypal accounts, I'm just going to downgrade to a power account when it's time to renew (of course the prices on those were rising too, though I don't think it was by as much) and start handling my own orders (which were few last year, but I think I made a name for myself). I was fine with the commission rate, though that was kinda pushing it for me (10% would have been comfortable for me). This I think may have taken me over the edge, especially since I never saw anywhere mentioning that smugmug adds on top.
    Richard
  • Options
    BaldyBaldy Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 2,853 moderator
    edited June 27, 2005
    smugmug used to match the print prices to ezprints
    Actually, they've always been cheaper. Their other partners -- Webshots, Printroom, etc. -- all seem to be more expensive than them too.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hmm, I just realized without a pro account I won't be able to watermark or protect the photos....I may just have to go to a totally different set up...just use someone to host thumbnails and list prices, have people e-mail me and then I take care of the printing and shipping, of course that makes it less convenient for the purchaser, and I'd have to download all my files that are on smugmug, get a new website name....well I've got some time before the account needs renewing...I suppose I'll see what happens.
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    While I was showering I just thought of something...
    smugmug people, do you care if I offer my customers a discount if they buy direct through me?

And with that, instead of going to bed so I can wake up in 5.5hours for work, I go to adjust my banner on the top of my smugmug site.
    Richard
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    You pay for what you get
    Richard
    This whole thread surprises me. You choose Smugmug of your own free will. If you don't like their prices or policies, you are free to find a different solution more to your liking.

Smugmug offers many different services than EZPrints does, including a shopping cart for you or your viewers to use, customer service when prints don't come out right, hosting of your prints for others to view, pro-pricing, storage, ton's of photo management features, zero-touch fullfillment when people order prints (you have to do nothing), etc...

If you don't want or need them to do those services, then by all means stop using Smugmug and do the work yourself. But, if you want those services, then Smugmug has the right to set their prices however they feel is appropriate for their audience and for the services/benefits they offer to that audience. You can decide whether that's a good deal for you or not. You are NOT entitled to get the same print prices from EZPrints as SmugMug when there is so much difference in the services offered.

If you want to save a few bucks and do all the work yourself, then that is your choice.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    Well, I very much like smugmug, but I also very much like to cut overhead, and I really think they would still be quite profitable just charging a percentage, rather than charging a percentage and adding costs to the prints. Personally, I mainly am disappointed because 1 - I didn't realize this when I first signed up and 2 - I'd like to pass on the savings. Anywho, I think I've got a solution. My banner looks like crap, but this is just for now with a little tweaking it will be good.
  • Options
    jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Looks fine to me
    Well, I very much like smugmug, but I also very much like to cut overhead, and I really think they would still be quite profitable just charging a percentage, rather than charging a percentage and adding costs to the prints. Personally, I mainly am disappointed because 1 - I didn't realize this when I first signed up and 2 - I'd like to pass on the savings. Anywho, I think I've got a solution. My banner looks like crap, but this is just for now with a little tweaking it will be good.
    What you're doing seems perfectly fine. If you want to do all the work of ordering, fullfillment, money processing, shipping and support for free in order to save your customers 10%, that's probably fine with everyone. For friends and family, I just enable download of originals and let them do that work themselves if they want to.

--John
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • Options
    AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Well, because IIRC (which to be fair doesn't mean much), smugmug used to match the print prices to ezprints, then ezprints dropped the prices and smugmug didn't. Plus, if smugmug does have a wholesale contract with ezprints, then they charge on top of that, then they take a commission, and charge $100/year for the pro, which a recent post indicated will be moving to $200/year...well then it gets way to expensive for me and I'm going to have to come up with some other way.
    Richard

sounds like you don't appreciate all of those 1000 things that smugmug does and ezprints doesn't.

cheers
  • Options
    edited June 27, 2005
    andy wrote:
    sounds like you don't appreciate all of those 1000 things that smugmug does and ezprints doesn't.

cheers
    I admittedly don't use smugmug to it's fullest potential.
    Richard