Somes Sound panorama

cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Landscapes
Last week while on vacation in Acadia, the boys and I ventured to the west side of the island. Most of the hiking I've done over the last 30 years has been on the eastern side of the island, although I did remember a trail on the western side that gave awesome views of Somes Sound (this body of water almost splits the island in half). I found the trail and we hiked up Acadia and St. Sauvier mountains. I've always wanted to try a panorama and this looked like a good spot. These were taken from the East Face trail of St. Sauvier Mt. Very steep hiking in the woods, but then you are treated to these lovely vistas. Both panoramas are composed of about 7 shots each. #2 which I took first, was shot horizontally - I then remembered that I was supposed to shoot vertically (I can see why, since I lost so much when I lined them up in Photoshop) so I tried again and ended up with #1. These were handheld. Next time I will try to get more foreground and less sky in the photos. Overall I was pretty happy.

Stephanie

616110923_JGofV-X2.jpg

616105085_ofDjh-X2.jpg

Comments

• ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Nice locations, I'd like to get out to Acadia sometime. I like the latter photo especially, the first has a bit too much sky and seems a tad flat to me. I've just started to consider doing some panoramas so I'm curious as to your postprocessing process and what sort of tripod you are using.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Beautiful panoramas. I love Acadia NP. I've only been there once during the fall. I'd like to visit it again during other seasons. Thanks for the reminder! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • SteveFSteveF Registered Users Posts: 466 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Thanks for posting these! I'll be there in the fall and it is neat to see and hear about the place.

I like the framing provided by #1 with the fg.
  • cmkultradomecmkultradome Registered Users Posts: 516 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Reverb wrote:
    Nice locations, I'd like to get out to Acadia sometime. I like the latter photo especially, the first has a bit too much sky and seems a tad flat to me. I've just started to consider doing some panoramas so I'm curious as to your postprocessing process and what sort of tripod you are using.

Alex - this was the first time I tried a panorama. It was handheld because the only tripod I have is a cheap clunky thing that I use to take self timer family photos. I'll be going back to Acadia in October and am thinking about renting a relatively good tripod to get a feel for one. I have so many photographic equipment items on my "wish list" that a good tripod never seems to make it to the top. As far as post processing (I don't really have a lot of experience with this), I merged the 7 photos in Photoshop and then cropped the uneven edges. I had to clone out some "spots" in the sky (I didn't see them on the original images so I'm not sure if they are an artifact from the merging). I made an extra layer and used a mask to brighten the foreground but leave the sky darker. These photos were taken at 1PM not the best time for landscape photography (probably why they look so flat) but when traveling with teenage boys on vacation, I go when they want to go.
    Beautiful panoramas. I love Acadia NP. I've only been there once during the fall. I'd like to visit it again during other seasons. Thanks for the reminder! thumb.gif
    Thanks Mahesh - I've only been up in the summer, so I am really looking forward to going up this autumn.
    Thanks for posting these! I'll be there in the fall and it is neat to see and hear about the place.
    Thanks Steve- I saw your name on the Dgrin shootout list. I'll be attending also, look forward to meeting you. I was looking at your website and I just love your wildlife photos, especially the loons. My parents have loons on their pond near Acadia, I just don't have the lens (or ability) to get a good shot of them. The only time I've ever been extremely close to them is when I'm in the kayak and don't have my camera.

Stephanie