77mm Filters (UV and/or CP)

2»

Comments

• craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    TexPhotog wrote:
    So basically, get a good UV filter to keep on the lens and thread the CP whenever needed???

I try not to have more than one filter on the lens at a time because it can result in vignetting. I normally have a multi-coated UV filter on each lens, and remove it if I want to put another filter on (CP, IR, or whatever).
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • cmasoncmason Registered Users Posts: 2,506 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    Agree: When I use the CP, I take off my UV filter. I also take off my UV filter at night, as I found them to be fairly sensitive to specular highlights (bright pin points of light). With a filter, I see ghost specular highlights, even with the best filters.
  • craig_dcraig_d Registered Users Posts: 911 Major grins
    edited January 13, 2010
    cmason wrote:
    Agree: When I use the CP, I take off my UV filter. I also take off my UV filter at night, as I found them to be fairly sensitive to specular highlights (bright pin points of light). With a filter, I see ghost specular highlights, even with the best filters.

You're certainly more likely to see ghosting in low-light circumstances, because the specular highlights are much, much brighter than the dark background, and your exposures are longer than they would be in daylight. The same problem occurs with bright lights in the frame.

Multi-coating doesn't completely eliminate ghosting, it just reduces it to the level that you usually can't see it, but dark scenes with long exposures are a worst-case scenario.
    http://craigd.smugmug.com

Got bored with digital and went back to film.
  • AldazarAldazar Registered Users Posts: 67 Big grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    My 2 cents: I'd leave a UV filter on all the time on a nice lens, and if for some reason you're really worried about glare or ghosting or other effects, take it off, shoot, put it back on.

I wouldn't leave a CP filter on because as mentioned above, you lose at least a stop of light and also, a good CP filter is very expensive and should be treated as such, taken out of the case and used only when appropriate.

When you're using the CP though, I wouldn't stack with the UV filter though.
  • TexPhotogTexPhotog Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited January 14, 2010
    thumb.gif
    I love getting awesome advice!!!

Now I can go back to my friend and "wow" him with my amazing knowledge... hehehe...
    Miguel
    www.kabestudios.com
    I use a little bit of everything gear wise...
    Nikon/Canon/Sony/GoPro/Insta360º/Mavic 2 Pro