File size & ordering

safaricat70safaricat70 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
edited August 11, 2009 in SmugMug Pro Sales Support
I'm new to the Pro world (but not to SM) and I have a dilema

All the pictures in my existing galleries have been uploaded as low-res 600x900, in order to deter people from screen printing/downloading them 'illegally' (I also have the 'no right-click' feature turned on as well... call me paranoid.) Here's where the problem starts.

I want to make the photos in those galleries purchasable, but because they're low-res, anything larger than a 5x7 is grayed out. I have a 5-day print delay on the galleries, which would allow me to upload a hi-res photo as a replacement to be printed. But if they can't select an 8x10 then how can I offer that as an option?

The last thing I want to do is re-upload all my photos as hi-res because 1. it's way too time consuming and 2. I know that not all my photos will be purchased and it would seem like a waste of time.

So, is there anyway around this? I have toes & fingers crossed that there is!

Thanks!
Steph

Comments

• AndyAndy Registered Users Posts: 50,016 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009

So, is there anyway around this?
    No, I'm sorry there is not.
  • safaricat70safaricat70 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Andy wrote:
    No, I'm sorry there is not.

SONOFA...

drat. thanks :)
  • jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    There are more solutions here than just uploading full resolutions photos from the start. That is what I do because I find it easiest (many of my uploads just run over night), but if you are determined to upload something smaller, then here's what you could do:

In this chart, you can see what the min size you must upload is to enable a given size print order. For example, if you wanted to enable 16x20 print orders, you'd need to upload at least 1024x1280. Then, you turn proof delay on so that if someone actually orders a print of this image, you can then upload the full resolution image in order to give them the best print.

Further, for image protection, you can just set the galleries to allow a max size of Large and your viewers can NEVER see anything larger than 800px on a side. If you really want to deter theft of even that size, then design a nice semi-transparent watermark that will protect the web viewable sizes, but won't be on the ordered print. The point here is that you don't need to restrict your upload size in order to protect your images from theft. You can upload larger and then just configure the gallery for the maximum viewable size and/or use a watermark. Smugmug designed it this way on purpose so you can have your cake and eat it to - you can upload high resolution images that will make high quality prints, but limit what can be shown on the web to limit theft. You can read more about image protection here. Or, you can upload just large enough to enable the desired print size and then re-upload full resolution images when something is actually ordered by using proof delay.
    --John
    HomepagePopular
    JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
    Always include a link to your site when posting a question
  • safaricat70safaricat70 Registered Users Posts: 62 Big grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    jfriend wrote:
    There are more solutions here than just uploading full resolutions photos from the start. That is what I do because I find it easiest (many of my uploads just run over night), but if you are determined to upload something smaller, then here's what you could do:

In this chart, you can see what the min size you must upload is to enable a given size print order. For example, if you wanted to enable 16x20 print orders, you'd need to upload at least 1024x1280. Then, you turn proof delay on so that if someone actually orders a print of this image, you can then upload the full resolution image in order to give them the best print.

Further, for image protection, you can just set the galleries to allow a max size of Large and your viewers can NEVER see anything larger than 800px on a side. If you really want to deter theft of even that size, then design a nice semi-transparent watermark that will protect the web viewable sizes, but won't be on the ordered print. The point here is that you don't need to restrict your upload size in order to protect your images from theft. You can upload larger and then just configure the gallery for the maximum viewable size and/or use a watermark. Smugmug designed it this way on purpose so you can have your cake and eat it to - you can upload high resolution images that will make high quality prints, but limit what can be shown on the web to limit theft. You can read more about image protection here. Or, you can upload just large enough to enable the desired print size and then re-upload full resolution images when something is actually ordered by using proof delay.

Many many thanks Jfriend! Obviously I'm going to have to re-upload my existing galleries, but going forward you've provided some good tips to ensure I'm uploading the best size. Thanks again :)
  • MT StringerMT Stringer Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I have been resizing my pics to 1500 pixels on the longest side. That will allow customers to choose up to 16x20 and larger. Then when the order comes in, replace the image with the full resolution image, or if it is for a small print, just check the crop and send it to the printer.
    Hope this helps.
    Mike
    Please visit my website: www.mtstringer.smugmug.com
    My Portfolio
    MaxPreps Profile

Canon EOS 1D MK III and 7d; Canon 100 f/2.0; Canon 17-40 f/4; Canon 24-70 f/2.8; Canon 70-200 f/2.8L IS; Canon 300 f/2.8L IS; Canon 1.4x and Sigma 2x; Sigma EF 500 DG Super and Canon 580 EX II.