OK, let's see if PS can improve this shot

jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
edited June 28, 2005 in Finishing School
I took this photo on a trip to Hungary last year; the sky is really unfortunate, and the whole photo lacks contrast, but I like the cityscape a lot. Do you think you guys can show me what I could do with judicious application of PS's tools (and thus help me decide to plunk down a couple hundred $ to buy it?)?

(Also, just FYI, I did take this same image with different camera settings, and got a good image; just so you don't think I'm a lousy photographer in addition to being a Photoshop tyro.)

Thanks!!

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
http://shuanglong.smugmug.com

Comments

• Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    Ten seconds and one click to shadow/highlight did this
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • digismiledigismile Registered Users Posts: 955 Major grins
    edited June 26, 2005
    It's just money jlg84! :D

At a cost per second, it might seem a bit high, but worth every penny.

If you buy PS, you won't regret it.

Brad
  • jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Wow!
    This is great! Based on this alone, it seems worth the expense. Is there a good (=easy) book to go along with PS to help someone get up the learning curve quickly?

Canon 5D Mark II / Canon 50D / 15mm f/2.8 Fisheye / 24-70mm f/2.8L / 16-35mm f/2.8L II / 70-200mm f/2.8L IS / 50mm f/1.4 / Speedlight 580 EX-II / Canon G9
  • Tim KirkwoodTim Kirkwood Registered Users Posts: 900 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    jlg84 wrote:
    This is great! Based on this alone, it seems worth the expense. Is there a good (=easy) book to go along with PS to help someone get up the learning curve quickly?

There are TONS of books. I dont have any of them so I cant suggest one but I know I have seen lots and lots of them. Its really not to hard once you play around for a bit and we all can help you around here.

Tim
    www.KirkwoodPhotography.com

Speak with sweet words, for you never know when you may have to eat them....
  • RohirrimRohirrim Registered Users Posts: 1,889 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Kelby's Photoshop for Photographers is a good one to get started with.

Adobes Photoshop Classroom in a Book is very good for getting a basic understanding of the tools and menus.

Blatner and Frasers Real World Photoshop is much more thorough and will give you a better understanding of what you are doing, but I think it could be a little overwhelming as a first book.

Frasers Real World Camera Raw is excellent for understanding the RAW plug in.

Have fun
  • jlg84jlg84 Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 28, 2005
    Photoshop on the way!
    I placed my order for Photoshop yesterday, and should get it in a few days. You can all look forward to LOTS of questions from me on how to use it to its fullest!!