A Journey through the Middle East (Egypt, Jordan, Syria and Israel)

ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
edited August 13, 2009 in Landscapes
Hi everyone,

I got back recently from a month trek through the middle east and thought I'd share a few photos (the full gallery is www.alexdimson.com/mideast).

These photos are the first I have done with lightroom so I would especially be curious to hear your thoughts about the postprocessing methodology but I'd love to hear any other thoughts as well. Thanks!

1) Desert Hike (Syria)
610434222_7UsCV-L-1.jpg

2) Mosque at Sunset (Jordan)
610315188_g2JGN-L-1.jpg

3) Leaving the Dome of the Rock (Israel)
610463664_qtNh2-L-1.jpg

4) Sinai Sunrise (Egypt)
610306307_PX59P-L-1.jpg

5) Wadi Rum Desert (Jordan)
611411370_VnCox-L.jpg

Comments

• coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Awesome! A great set of a region that I don't see a lot of photographs from. My favorite is #2, love the foreground and background silhouettes and the location of the sun.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    Wow! These and the images of the entire gallery are nothing short of GORGEOUS! From the people shots, to the ruins, to the beach scenes...all fabulous. I urge those of you looking at this post to please visit the link Alex provides...I promise you won't be disappointed. clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif

So Alex, you just started using Lightroom, huh? I've been doing it for a few years...Is there any advice YOU can give ME, perhaps? :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 10, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Wow! These and the images of the entire gallery are nothing short of GORGEOUS! From the people shots, to the ruins, to the beach scenes...all fabulous. I urge those of you looking at this post to please visit the link Alex provides...I promise you won't be disappointed. clap.gifthumb.gifclap.gif

So Alex, you just started using Lightroom, huh? I've been doing it for a few years...Is there any advice YOU can give ME, perhaps? :D

Just checked out the gallery and you're right, there's a lot of just fabulous stuff in there. Wow, what a trip!
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Reverb wrote:
    5) Wadi Rum Desert (Jordan)
    611411370_VnCox-L.jpg

Wonderful images and not over cookedthumb.gifthumb

Was it difficult to get to the Wadi Rum Desert?
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Beautiful images. #4 is my favorite; I love the layers and the soft tones.clap.gif
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Like that second shot.
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,238 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    Reverb, those shots bring back memories of 1979 when I visited those same 4 countries plus Greece on the way back. Thanks for showing us your favorite views from your trip.

This thread is ripe for expanding (adding stories behind the pics, and more shots) into a Journeys forum thread - just a suggestion.
    My Smugmug
    "You miss 100% of the shots you don't take" - Wayne Gretzky
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Amazing Amazing !!!
    waiting for more
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • ReverbReverb Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Wonderful images and not over cookedthumb.gifthumb

Was it difficult to get to the Wadi Rum Desert?

Thanks so much for the compliment Marc. It means a lot having taken a look at your website.

Getting to Wadi Rum wasn't hard at all. I came from Aqaba in South Jordan and there are numerous ways (bus/service taxi etc.) to get to the visitor centre and back (1.5 hour drive if I recall). The visitor centre runs jeep/camel tours for quite cheap and there are ways to get a tour in Aqaba as well. I was just dissapointed that I only had a few hours at midday at the site and so wasn't able to get too far into the desert. It actually is probably the place I would most like to revisit. I think it could be a mystical place at night. They are ways to camp with the bedouins which actually could be very interested and less touristy then it sounds. Highly recommended and my photos especially do not do that location justice.
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Reverb wrote:
    It actually is probably the place I would most like to revisit. I think it could be a mystical place at night.

Thank you for the info. I agree it would be a great place to spend some time. It has always reminded me of Monument Valley in Arizona.
    edited August 12, 2009
    That is actually a great suggestion. I'll try to do that once I've overcome a bit of a work crunch.

Thanks for all the compliments!
    David_S85 wrote:
    Reverb, those shots bring back memories of 1979 when I visited those same 4 countries plus Greece on the way back. Thanks for showing us your favorite views from your trip.

This thread is ripe for expanding (adding stories behind the pics, and more shots) into a Journeys forum thread - just a suggestion.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Holy moly what a fantastic set from a beautiful place! I do hope you get to go back and camp with the bedouins... what stories you could share and show us :D
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 13, 2009
    A great collection of photos! Love the diversity. Post more! clap.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
    edited August 13, 2009
    OK by request and because I think it will probably be a week or two before I get to post anything in the journeys forum I'll throw a fee more up there:

1)

1) The Temple of Hatepshut
    610293639_xx7My-L-1.jpg

2) Waiting for the Call to Prayer

610283597_ALmSV-L.jpg

3) Ancient Guardian
    610455269_GiXGz-L.jpg

4) Bustling Market

610408944_pJ4PW-L.jpg

5) Towers of Yemliko
    610442238_8bvzp-L.jpg
  • David_S85David_S85 Administrators Posts: 13,238 moderator