Tough light overcome with off camera flash.

Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
edited August 11, 2009 in People
I'm stoked with the way this came out. This woman, won an art show. The gallery put her winning image on the banner up on the building behind her for the summer. The only time of day we could shoot this was late afternoon. I taped a flash to the light pole (as high as I could reach off a ladder) in front of the banner, and another flash camera right with a shoot through umbrella. Let me know what you think.

616527067_bEeaA-XL.jpg

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Pretty good I think. Flare is the worst part about it. Maybe clone out the flare on the left. I think maybe the woman's right side of face could use a little more light as well. But overall a nice shot. I like the sun.
  • nikmolsonnikmolson Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    very cool, agreed about taking out the bit of flare on the left though
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I like the flare. But you could get rid of the part on the left.

Nicely balanced flashwork!clap.gif
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    For your setting and conditions a pretty good shot. Don't mind the flare, it was very popular in senior photography this year. Don't like the slight up her nose view. Your angle had to be lower but maybe you should have dropped her chin down slightly but this might have accented a double chin. Double jeoparady!
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I'm inclined to say woohoo...nice shot. As far as changing it...the lens flare to the bottom left...try taking it out. The flare from the sun...around the sun burst...it's okay...actually I don't think it bothers me.

Her face is a great capture...nice shadows...just a really good image.

Thanks for sharing.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed
  • Camara Photography, LLCCamara Photography, LLC Registered Users Posts: 82 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hackbone wrote:
    For your setting and conditions a pretty good shot. Don't mind the flare, it was very popular in senior photography this year. Don't like the slight up her nose view. Your angle had to be lower but maybe you should have dropped her chin down slightly but this might have accented a double chin. Double jeoparady!

Thanks everyone. I agree with the "up the nose..." now that you mention it. I know that the sun flare on the left is slightly distracting, but for some reason I seem to like it.
    Below is another pic from the same shoot. It's, IMO, less interesting...

617073928_haKJr-XL.jpg
  • InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    No no! Keep the flare! I think we are just saying clone out or do something about the flare on the left. The stuff on the right is AWESOME! Really makes the shot.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    No no! Keep the flare! I think we are just saying clone out or do something about the flare on the left. The stuff on the right is AWESOME! Really makes the shot.

15524779-Ti.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    I think you did very nice. thumb.gif
    In this kind of situation it is wise to take a few frames with the different camera position (all you need to do is to move yourself just a fraction of an inch left and right). It will not greatly affect anything in the frame, but you will end up with different "flare/sunstar" scenarios, and then will be able to create a nicely looking composite.
    Second flash on a banner was a great move, btw! clap.gif
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Very nice. Thanks for sharing. The flare wasn't distracting to me in the picture, but I don't think it adds to the image.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Second one is nice too. I like your lighting.
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed