Senior Session- Mariah

anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
edited August 12, 2009 in People
Been a while since I have done any portraits but here are a few from Saturday's session with Mariah.

C&C always appreciated :deal

616748425_RzHKS-XL-1.jpg

616749181_jSkfk-L-1.jpg

616749426_GVGmK-XL-3.jpg

616749983_zcVKC-L-2.jpg

616750297_v6oaw-L-1.jpg

616750572_tADPB-XL-1.jpg
"The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion

Comments

• rhondavidrhondavid Registered Users Posts: 433 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Very pretty girl. Love that name!!! Nice series of pictures. The color is all wrong in the second one and the first one the exposure seems wrong as well. May want to do some additional PP to correct those issues. The other ones look very nice with good balance of fill flash and natural lighting.

Good job.
    David

D40
    18 - 55 kit lens
    55- 200 VR kit lens
    Lots of desires
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    rhondavid wrote:
    Very pretty girl. Love that name!!! Nice series of pictures. The color is all wrong in the second one and the first one the exposure seems wrong as well. May want to do some additional PP to correct those issues. The other ones look very nice with good balance of fill flash and natural lighting.

Good job.

Yes she is a very pretty girl and a very smart one too.

The color is not wrong in the 2nd one. I processed the shot that way on purpose by desaturating some of the colors. She will see this same shot in 3 versions. deal.gif

Thanks for commenting though. iloveyou.gif

Aaron Newman

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    2 also looked funny to me. I could tell you desaturated it, but it jumped out at me, and hit me in the face with a dead fish. Just kidding. I like the warmer tones though.

5, she looks a bit uncomfrotable. Not sure I like that one.

I like the car shot too.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Nice pictures. #2 didn't bother me, though I'm don't do desaturated images, so my asthetics may be off-base. They were all nicely done. I think her face gets a little pink in the last one from the chair reflections.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • RogerLundRogerLund Registered Users Posts: 64 Big grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    The shirt color in the first shots, and the harsh lighting, or Exposure you picked hurt my eyes.

I like the car shot, but I still see a harsh light shirt combo.

The last shot I like a lot.

Just wondering what the Histogram looked like on the first shots?

Just my 2 cents.
    Canon 5D, Canon XT, Canon 50mm EF 1.8, Canon 50mm EF 1.4, Canon 85mm EF 1.8, Canon 100mm EF 2.8 Marco, Canon 100-300mm EF 5.6 L, 17-40mm EF F4 L
    -
    Roger Lund
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Aaron, I like most of these. The young lady is so natural and comfortable looking within herself.

1. The white shirt is too bright and distracts from her. I think it's fixible. I'm not thrilled about that tree support to her right either. But her smile is so sweet here. A keeper with the lighting fix.

2. Interesting enough to keep. I like some Dragan-type of treatments.

3. Very nice, she looks great and the setting is just right. I like how the road fits into the frame.

4. Also very pleasant. The white could be toned down ever so slightly.

5. She looks a little too small here. Not bad, but the others are better.

6. Gotta like this one. Nice lighting and smile.Probably the best.

M
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Aaron,
    good job all around!

Here are a few things I noticed:
    * somebody recently mentioned the disadvantages of the white clothes; your series is a bright example "why";
    * #1: would be less static and more interesting if she was actually using the swing, not just sitting on it; imagine "wind in the face" effect you've missed...
    * #2: desaturation doesn't work for me here :-( I like the pose/expression though;
    * #3: I think it's too wide; tighter crop that would only include the windshield, the model and the road would make a bolder statement;
    * #4: "the white" issue; good shot otherwise;
    * #5: I don't think the combination of the pose and vtnage point works; I find that sitting people rarely benefit from a low shooting point; YMMV
    * #6: the only shot where the white blouse would play well - and you changed it to black! pink chair (and frankly, the patterned skirt) steals the tunder; bg is wrinkled; dark part of the bg looks a bit unprofessional; and finally I think you were too close and using too wide a lens here;

Those are nits; the series look good! thumb.gif

HTH
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
    edited August 12, 2009
    Aaron, I like most of these. The young lady is so natural and comfortable looking within herself.

1. The white shirt is too bright and distracts from her. I think it's fixible. I'm not thrilled about that tree support to her right either. But her smile is so sweet here. A keeper with the lighting fix.

2. Interesting enough to keep. I like some Dragan-type of treatments.

3. Very nice, she looks great and the setting is just right. I like how the road fits into the frame.

4. Also very pleasant. The white could be toned down ever so slightly.

5. She looks a little too small here. Not bad, but the others are better.

6. Gotta like this one. Nice lighting and smile.Probably the best.

M

Thank you for the detailed feedback. iloveyou.gif

Attire- didn't have much say in attire or location- was kind of a last minute shoot which they picked the location. She did not have a change of clothes with her.

I will work on the whites. deal.gif

Aaron Newman

edited August 12, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Aaron,
    good job all around!

Here are a few things I noticed:
    * somebody recently mentioned the disadvantages of the white clothes; your series is a bright example "why";
    * #1: would be less static and more interesting if she was actually using the swing, not just sitting on it; imagine "wind in the face" effect you've missed...
    * #2: desaturation doesn't work for me here :-( I like the pose/expression though;
    * #3: I think it's too wide; tighter crop that would only include the windshield, the model and the road would make a bolder statement;
    * #4: "the white" issue; good shot otherwise;
    * #5: I don't think the combination of the pose and vtnage point works; I find that sitting people rarely benefit from a low shooting point; YMMV
    * #6: the only shot where the white blouse would play well - and you changed it to black! pink chair (and frankly, the patterned skirt) steals the tunder; bg is wrinkled; dark part of the bg looks a bit unprofessional; and finally I think you were too close and using too wide a lens here;

Those are nits; the series look good! thumb.gif

HTH

Appreciate the feedback Nik. See above as far as attire. Same with the black. I was setting up the background and she was set on the black. ne_nau.gif

The white doesn't bother me for shoots but I do see how this shirt is a bit bright so I will work to tone it down.

I do have some other swing shots- these are just the first few I edited.

Agree on the background- bought it the same day so did not have time to let it stretch out. I can probably do some healing work on the wrinkles though. Lighting for that was single light w/ softbox to lack of space- in their living room.

Thanks for the feedback though- I will keep all this in mind as I edit the rest of the shots and rework these.

Aaron Newman

• jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    -A couple general observations as I think Nik covered particulars pretty well:

-You have several square crops...and the most common crop for senior portraits is a 5x7 crop which also fits the "wallet" sizes that will constitute the majority of the prints. You should consider framing the shots with that crop in mind rather than square or 8x10.

-The first three...and to a lesser degree the fourth...all feature her shoulders square on to the camera. Moving the subject...or the camera...so that the shoulders are at more of an angle will result in more flattering portraits.

-In all but the last and the car shot, the flash work is too strong and results in flatly lit images.

-Her facial expression is identical in all of the photos except #2. Some variety there would be a plus.

Hope that helps!:D