Bright Eyes and a smile

Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
Poor beggar girl in streets of Pakistan.

616880667_QL83e-L.jpg

I had polarizor on my 17-40L
Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery

Comments

• MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Wonderful, yet heartwrenching, portrait.

Thanks for sharing.
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    B-E-A-U-T-I-F-U-L! iloveyou.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Stunning.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Thanks for sharing. Beautiful image of a beautiful child. You seem to have established a natural, relaxed connection with your subject.
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Hehehe actually i was talking with her very very casually, just like Pakistanis usually talk in home with close relatives no formality at all eek7.gif
    So she comfortably posed for me with that smile.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    Oh my gosh! What a sweet child!!! iloveyou.gif Those eyes are incredible.
    edited August 11, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Oh my gosh! What a sweet child!!! iloveyou.gif Those eyes are incredible.

Thank you Linda ! Kids have such a bright eyes

My Gallery
  • metmet Registered Users Posts: 405 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Awesome. thumb.gif
  • davidryandavidryan Registered Users Posts: 306 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Awais your photos are always so stunning-- you're very talented.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    A New, Truly Shocking Challenge
    Mitchell wrote:
    Wonderful, yet heartwrenching, portrait.

Thanks for sharing.
    Okay - I'm going to be a trouble maker here. (And my intent, Mitchell, is NOT to attack you. :D:D
    But what on earth is "heart wrenching" about this photograph? (Forget the description; just think about what's in the pixels):

What Awais has presented here is a truly lovely shot of a beautiful brown-eyed child, a child with sparkling white teeth, reasonably clean hair, and apparently clean clothing; a child who appears to be well fed. That's heart breaking?

It is a lovely photo, one we'd all be proud to attach our names to. But for it to be a photograph of a poor beggar child, for it to be heart wrenching, it needs context. If the intent was to show a beggar, we either needed to see her begging - perhaps her out-stretched hand reaching up to the photographer - or we need a wider shot that at least shows her surroundings.

Again, I stress that I do not intend this as an attack on Mitchell for making the comment - we see this kind of comment here all the time. What I'm really urging us to do as photographers, and viewers of photography, is judge the photographs by what we see, not by what someone tells us to see.

Hey, here's a NEW, TRULY SHOCKING CHALLENGE:

LET'S ALL SEE IF, FOR THE NEXT THREE DAYS, WE CAN POST PHOTOS WITH NO CAPTIONS

. That means no "Belinda and Tony's engagement session." No "My Baby." No "Hot model I spent time with." No "Dick Smith, Blue Hill, ME, gunsmith." None of it. For subject line just use your name and number of photos, as in "Two from B. D." - "Six from Diva Mom."

Everyone should comment on the photos as they normally would, only you'll have to judge what you see, not what you've been told to see. And then in three days, let's talk about how this did or didn't change our responses.

Anyone game? ne_nau.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    snip…

Hey, here's a NEW, TRULY SHOCKING CHALLENGE:

LET'S ALL SEE IF, FOR THE NEXT THREE DAYS, WE CAN POST PHOTOS WITH NO CAPTIONS

…snip

Splendid idea! thumb.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
    edited August 14, 2009
    Ok people, lets start No Caption thread, but allow old photos too ! mwink.gif

My Gallery
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Ok people, lets start No Caption thread, but allow old photos too ! mwink.gif
    Old photos are fine - and I hope you realize I really liked the photo of the young girl...:D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Old photos are fine - and I hope you realize I really liked the photo of the young girl...:D

Yeah thanks a lot BD :ivarmade my day

My Gallery
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    So, are we finished with the three days of no captions? I think it was a great success and enjoyed looking at everybody's one, two , three and more photos with no explanations at all. When we have to supply our own interpretations based on the photos alone, our reading is sometimes very different from what a caption might hope to imply!

I do have other photos that absolutely need captions - news and documentary photos with back stories. Is that a bad thing? Does the published context make a difference, as opposed to posting on a gallery?

Do I need to supply the back story for any of the non-captioned photos that I posted?

B.D.? Hope your class is going well. Wish I could be there!

Thanks!

Tina

www.tinamanley.com