panoramic questions for the pano pros!

tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
edited August 11, 2009 in Technique
I just love the panoramics that I see both here and on other websites, especially the spherical ones. my 2 questions follow!

How do they do the bottom picture for these? Does someone just hover there with the camera pointed at the ground???

Also, is there such thing as a pano head that doesn't cost 600 bucks?, but does a good job?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    tijoseph wrote:
    I just love the panoramics that I see both here and on other websites, especially the spherical ones. my 2 questions follow!

How do they do the bottom picture for these? Does someone just hover there with the camera pointed at the ground???

Also, is there such thing as a pano head that doesn't cost 600 bucks?, but does a good job?

I don't do spherical panoramics but I gather most systems employ some image manipulation and cloning (or masking) to eliminate the tripod/stand.

I use the Panosaurus head, purchased used, and I did have to tweak it a bit to make it work smoothly but it does seem to work nicely for camera/lens up to 4-5 pounds or so. Not designed for telephoto lenses, especially with the camera in the portrait configuration, but I did try it using a mini speed-clamp to add some extra control over sagging and that worked OK.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • tijosephtijoseph Registered Users Posts: 187 Major grins
    edited August 11, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    I don't do spherical panoramics but I gather most systems employ some image manipulation and cloning (or masking) to eliminate the tripod/stand.

I use the Panosaurus head, purchased used, and I did have to tweak it a bit to make it work smoothly but it does seem to work nicely for camera/lens up to 4-5 pounds or so. Not designed for telephoto lenses, especially with the camera in the portrait configuration, but I did try it using a mini speed-clamp to add some extra control over sagging and that worked OK.

Do you think it would work for 5d mark 11 ?

Does it only do horizontal panoramas?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,068 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    tijoseph wrote:
    Do you think it would work for 5d mark 11 ?

Does it only do horizontal panoramas?

I have used my 5D MKII with the EF 24-85mm, and it is OK (but just barely). I would not recommend it for use with a large and heavy lens. (The EF 70-200mm, f2.8 in either model would be too much IMO, for instance.) I haven't tried it but I think the 5D MKII and EF 17-40mm, f4L USM should be OK.

Primary construction material of the Panosaurus is 1/2" MDF and some of that has been machined. You do need to be careful to avoid damage by not overloading or overstressing the rig.

It will do panoramas with the camera in either the portrait or the landscape orientation, but the panning mechanism is designed for horizontal panoramas (as with most panorama heads).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 11, 2009
    Pano heads are great, I use the RRS heads and rails.

You can actually shoot a lot of panos hand held ( I call them drive by panos ) if you do not have close by foreground subjects, and if your lens focal lengths aren't too short. I know this sounds heretical, but a lot of folks do it this way some times.

This was shot just that way - hand held in Manual mode and manual focus, with AWB turned off, - 5 frames in portrait mode, pivoting around the lens nodal point - kind of

614447509_JRhMP-XL.jpg

I don't shoot the 360 degree versions, so no suggestions there, sorry!

Here's a 9 frame pano with a 200mm lens, that was on a tripod to help stabilize it, but no a pano head at all, just point and shoot

604708025_HhB4b-XL.jpg
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin