Options

Some gallery template problems/bugs/questions...

jfriendjfriend Registered Users Posts: 8,097 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in SmugMug Support
I created several galleries today using templates, then attempted some bulk changes to them using templates and got some unexpected results. Here's what I observed:

1) Applying a template to a gallery wipes out the featured photo. It seems like it shouldn't do that. This means if you've dilligently set featured photos on a whole bunch of galleries, you lose all of that if you want to apply a set of changes to the galleries using a template. Since the "featured photo" is not visibly a part of the "Customize Gallery" screen where you create a template, there is a user expectation that it is NOT part of the template and shouldn't be affected by a change via template.

2) Bulk changes using templates don't change the sub-category assignment. I created a whole bunch of galleries using a template and then decided I wanted them assign them to a sub-category instead of just a category. So, I did the first one and then saved it's settings as a template. I tried to apply that template to all the other galleries in order to assign the sub-category to all of them and nothing happened. So, it appears that sub-category assignment does not work via bulk application of a template. How would one change the sub-category assignment of a whole bunch of galleries?

And ... a couple other observations that don't have to do with templates:

3) Sometimes organize by position in a category doesn't work. With a custom category displayed (and the galleries in it visible), I clicked on "Organize Galleries by Position". I changed the order and hit Save. The gallery order in my custom category didn't change at all. It appeared that nothing I could do would change the order of the galleries in my category. I thought the ordering feature was completely broken. As it turns out, I had previously (earlier in the day) clicked on "Sort Galleries by Most Recent" on my home page. When I set that back to "Sort Galleries by Position", I could then customize the order of the galleries in my category. The problem is that I had NO idea that changing this option on my home page would prohibit me from applying a custom order within a sub-category(I thought it was only effecting the home page) and thus I had no idea why my custom ordering in a category wasn't working. I would think this would generate support calls from account holders. I was about to email Sugmug myself that custom ordering was busted.

Possible solutions:

a) Make it so that the "Sort by Recent" setting only applies to the home page and can be set separately per category (thus is not a global setting). This was my perception of how it was going to work when I first clicked on it.

b) If a user tries to set a custom order on a category, but the global settings says "Sort by Recent", give them an error explanation so they will know why the sort order won't be displayed (thus saving the support issue).

4) How does one control the display order of sub-categories within a category? I had two sub-categories and I wanted the second one to be shown in the first position instead of the second position and I couldn't find anyway to do that.

Hope this is useful information...

--John
--John
HomepagePopular
JFriend's javascript customizationsSecrets for getting fast answers on Dgrin
Always include a link to your site when posting a question

Comments

• Options
    MakiMaki Registered Users Posts: 59 Big grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    jfriend wrote:
    I created several galleries today using templates, then attempted some bulk changes to them using templates and got some unexpected results. Here's what I observed:

1) Applying a template to a gallery wipes out the featured photo. It seems like it shouldn't do that. This means if you've dilligently set featured photos on a whole bunch of galleries, you lose all of that if you want to apply a set of changes to the galleries using a template. Since the "featured photo" is not visibly a part of the "Customize Gallery" screen where you create a template, there is a user expectation that it is NOT part of the template and shouldn't be affected by a change via template.
    I posted a similar instance in the support thread except I applied a base template to ALL galleries. Talk about a lot of work! It's easy to forget exactly how many galleries you can end up with... I'm still working on adding back the feature photo. Argh...
    eek2.gif