Options

Canadian Rockies in September?

daveRendaveRen Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
edited September 28, 2009 in Location, Location, Location!
I am going to have 7 to 10 days in the Canadian Rockies coming from Victoria, BC to travel around in a truck/camper.

I know the area a bit but was wondering if you folks had a few "must shoot" spots, especially ones out of the way a bit. Unfortunately I can't hike like I used to, but 4 to 5 km would be doable. I don't mind a bit of gravel road, especially if there is good bush camping.

It would be nice to shoot something different (other than Moraine Lake, Lake Louise, etc.) Maybe I would stay on the BC side.

Am I likely going to see bad weather if I leave it until late September? (though new snow would be cool.)

Taking my new Nikon D90, 16-85mm, 35mm and my old Olympus E-1 with polarizer filters. Can't wait!

Thanks, ....... Dave
http://dave.rd123.ca
.... a road less traveled

Comments

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
  • Options
    spechtalspechtal Registered Users Posts: 344 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    If you're interested in the BC side. There are lots of sites in Yoho around Field. There's the Natural Bridge, Takakkaw Falls, The Spiral Tunnels (railroad), and Emerald Lake.
    Have fun!
    Angela
  • Options
    daveRendaveRen Registered Users Posts: 28 Big grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    great pics!
    Thanks all for the tips....... and some great photos to look at ...BONUS!

Waterton Lakes and Field, thats a good idea.

Ann, your trip must have been great fun, it would be great to be involved in something like that. How did you get it together?

New snow on the 18th of September?
    Sitting in Victoria at 25deg.C. in sun now, I'm not sure I will be ready for snow......:uhoh
    http://dave.rd123.ca
    .... a road less traveled
  • Options
    Ann McRaeAnn McRae Registered Users Posts: 4,584 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    daveRen wrote:
    Thanks all for the tips....... and some great photos to look at ...BONUS!

Waterton Lakes and Field, thats a good idea.

Ann, your trip must have been great fun, it would be great to be involved in something like that. How did you get it together?

New snow on the 18th of September?
    Sitting in Victoria at 25deg.C. in sun now, I'm not sure I will be ready for snow......:uhoh

Dave our trip was amazing! We all were participating in the DGrin shootout that year (there is one again this fall, btw) and so I just posted a thread in the Big Picture, suggesting a preshoot. My daughter was aghast that I was meeting friends I met on the internet, but it was one of the best times of my life!

ann
  • Options
    EloquentPixelsEloquentPixels Registered Users Posts: 10 Beginner grinner
    edited September 28, 2009
    I did a Jasper, Banff, Yoho, Glacier drive a couple of weeks ago.

There is some snow already around the icefields although not right at the road level. Part of the moraine on the right side of the Athabasca glacier collapsed while I was there exposing an incredible deep blue ice. It was pouring outside when I saw it, so the shots I got of it don't exactly match my memory.

Go up Revelstoke if you're driving that way. Nice 360 views all around.
    Takakkaw Falls is worth the side trip.
    If you end up in Jasper, the Maligne canyon is pretty nice. The "hike" beside it is mostly paved.
    Get a long lens if you can for the wildlife.