Options

Kasey's Graduation.

DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
edited June 27, 2005 in People
Recently (if you don't remember the thread I posted asking for tips and suggestions), my girlfriend Kasey graduated. I wasn't able to get the quality of shots I wish I could have, as I'm new to photographing people (she was probably one of the first persons I've ever actually photographed.) So For someone who hasn't done it before, I think these images are pretty good.

This following image was a learning experience after I got home and viewed it. I used a ceiling bounce with my AF 500FTZ flash, but had it on TTL. Next time I will set it to manual and set the flash to 1/8 or 1/16, and see how it looks, or perhaps use a diffuser as well to cut down on the light even more.
graduation010pc.jpg

This next image was okay. I couldn't get the flesh tones correctly with the camera. Any suggestions on maybe a filter I should use next time? Here's the metafile information. (I did a bit of post processing to bring out the shadows and balance the image).
Exposure time 1/250 s
F-number 6.7
Exposure program Normal program
ISO speed ratings 400
Date/time original 6/17/2005 7:02:39 PM
Date/time digitized 6/17/2005 7:02:39 PM
Component config YCbCr
Exposure bias value 0.000000
Metering mode Spot
Flash Flash did not fire [off]
Focal length 133 mm
User comment
Colorspace sRGB
Pixel X dimension 3008
Pixel Y dimension 2008
Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
Scene type Photographed image
Custom Rendered Normal process
Exposure mode Auto exposure
Focal length in 35mm film 199 mm
Scene capture type Standard
Contrast Normal
Saturation Normal
Sharpness Normal
Subject distance range Distant view

graduation025su.jpg

This next image was actually extremely dark, and I had to do quite a bit of post processing. I think it's the best out of the series, but it might need a little work. Any suggestions?
graduation031nu.jpg
Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.

Comments

• Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hi Tyler,
    I'm not the portrait type, but here are a few observations. It looks like you have a willing model to work with so that's a great start. Lighting control seems to be your nemesis. For the first and second shots, you've blown out the highlights. I don't know if the detail is salvageable in PP, but something to look at.

For photo #1, there is a lot going on in the background. A tighter crop may be helpful to bring her more into prominence. The color balance seems a bit yellowish, but that could be from the ambient lighting. The TTL metering kicked your butt. Seems it exposed for the garment which should be darker. If this was shot in RAW, you may be able to do an exposure adjustment to help things out. It's a nice capture of your girlfriend, but the other elements in the shot make it tough to work with. The hand in front of her needs to go away or be toned down, it very distracting.

For Photo #2, the capture of your girlfriend and her friend is real nice. I like it. Again, the lighting is a problem here. It looks like a strong sidelight created a bit too much contrast for the camera. A light fill flash might have helped in this situation. The colors are going to be a bit warm due to the time of day you are shooting in. Don't fight it and try and go with the warm glowne_nau.gif. The guy behind your girlfriend is a bit distracting, but not much you can do there. Its a nice shot and I think a tighter crop may take out the distractions. Not sure how well this would work.

For shot #3, this is the best shot. You've bullseyed her though so maybe a different crop to change the composition. The focus is a bit soft on the eyes and face so some sharpening for that area might help. From reading here, the eyes should be sharp. The arm is distracting. Right now, it is disembodied. A different crop could either remove most of it or add enough to reconnect it to the body.

Tyler, these are just MHO. Since I don't shoot portraits, I'm not the most qualified here to critique these. You may wish to pick one and put it in the critique forum for a more detailed analysis from those that shoot these types of shots. These appear to me almost candid like which means that the control over the backgrounds is limited. From what I remember from our conversation, she doesn't like being in front of the camera, but she is photogenic and you should try a more controlled portrait setting. Again, being aware of your background can help bring out the foreground.

Chris

Sorry for the top post, just thought it made more sense here.

Recently (if you don't remember the thread I posted asking for tips and suggestions), my girlfriend Kasey graduated. I wasn't able to get the quality of shots I wish I could have, as I'm new to photographing people (she was probably one of the first persons I've ever actually photographed.) So For someone who hasn't done it before, I think these images are pretty good.

This following image was a learning experience after I got home and viewed it. I used a ceiling bounce with my AF 500FTZ flash, but had it on TTL. Next time I will set it to manual and set the flash to 1/8 or 1/16, and see how it looks, or perhaps use a diffuser as well to cut down on the light even more.
    graduation010pc.jpg

This next image was okay. I couldn't get the flesh tones correctly with the camera. Any suggestions on maybe a filter I should use next time? Here's the metafile information. (I did a bit of post processing to bring out the shadows and balance the image).
    Exposure time 1/250 s
    F-number 6.7
    Exposure program Normal program
    ISO speed ratings 400
    Date/time original 6/17/2005 7:02:39 PM
    Date/time digitized 6/17/2005 7:02:39 PM
    Component config YCbCr
    Exposure bias value 0.000000
    Metering mode Spot
    Flash Flash did not fire [off]
    Focal length 133 mm
    User comment
    Colorspace sRGB
    Pixel X dimension 3008
    Pixel Y dimension 2008
    Sensing method One-chip color area sensor
    Scene type Photographed image
    Custom Rendered Normal process
    Exposure mode Auto exposure
    Focal length in 35mm film 199 mm
    Scene capture type Standard
    Contrast Normal
    Saturation Normal
    Sharpness Normal
    Subject distance range Distant view

graduation025su.jpg

This next image was actually extremely dark, and I had to do quite a bit of post processing. I think it's the best out of the series, but it might need a little work. Any suggestions?
    graduation031nu.jpg

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister

• Options
    DRT-MaverickDRT-Maverick Registered Users Posts: 476 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    I'm not the portrait type, but here are a few observations. It looks like you have a willing model to work with so that's a great start. Lighting control seems to be your nemesis. For the first and second shots, you've blown out the highlights. I don't know if the detail is salvageable in PP, but something to look at.

For photo #1, there is a lot going on in the background. A tighter crop may be helpful to bring her more into prominence. The color balance seems a bit yellowish, but that could be from the ambient lighting. The TTL metering kicked your butt. Seems it exposed for the garment which should be darker. If this was shot in RAW, you may be able to do an exposure adjustment to help things out. It's a nice capture of your girlfriend, but the other elements in the shot make it tough to work with. The hand in front of her needs to go away or be toned down, it very distracting.

For Photo #2, the capture of your girlfriend and her friend is real nice. I like it. Again, the lighting is a problem here. It looks like a strong sidelight created a bit too much contrast for the camera. A light fill flash might have helped in this situation. The colors are going to be a bit warm due to the time of day you are shooting in. Don't fight it and try and go with the warm glowne_nau.gif. The guy behind your girlfriend is a bit distracting, but not much you can do there. Its a nice shot and I think a tighter crop may take out the distractions. Not sure how well this would work.

For shot #3, this is the best shot. You've bullseyed her though so maybe a different crop to change the composition. The focus is a bit soft on the eyes and face so some sharpening for that area might help. From reading here, the eyes should be sharp. The arm is distracting. Right now, it is disembodied. A different crop could either remove most of it or add enough to reconnect it to the body.

Tyler, these are just MHO. Since I don't shoot portraits, I'm not the most qualified here to critique these. You may wish to pick one and put it in the critique forum for a more detailed analysis from those that shoot these types of shots. These appear to me almost candid like which means that the control over the backgrounds is limited. From what I remember from our conversation, she doesn't like being in front of the camera, but she is photogenic and you should try a more controlled portrait setting. Again, being aware of your background can help bring out the foreground.

Chris

Sorry for the top post, just thought it made more sense here.
    She actually wants me to take her photos, though she says she hates having them taken she'd prefer I take some for her. I just want to get good at it before I actually start really getting into the portrait/modelling photography.

I'm going to try on those images, my next post will use your ideas and suggestions. I heard you can really correct tones and such with the curves tool - whether that's accurate or not is something I will find out, after I learn how to use the curves tool.

Thanks for the comments! If anyone else has comments or suggestions, please tell me! I really want to get better at photographing people. Thanks!
    Pentax K20D 14.6mp Body : Pentax *ist D 6.1mp Body : Pentax ZX10 Body : 180mm Sigma Macro EX lens : 18-55mm Pentax SMC DA Lens : 28-200mm Sigma Lens : 50-500mm Sigma APO DG EX lens : Pentax AF-500FTZ flash : Sigma EX 2x Teleconverter.
  • Options
    HiggmeisterHiggmeister Registered Users Posts: 909 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hi Tyler, about using curves,
    They do give you much more control than levels, but they are also harder to use. I've been experimenting with curves for some of the more difficult shots. When you open a layers curve, you get a straight line on a grid. First thing I usually do is place points on all the places where the line intersects a cross point and then add one in between each point I already placed. This gives you 9 points to work with whereas levels gives you three points to work with. With problem highlights, you may have to add more points for control near the top of the line. Play with it and see what happens when you move different points.
    I try to think of it as a grey scale from white on top to black on the bottom, grey being in the middle. I usually have to move several points to keep the effect clean.
    I imagine I'm doing thinks the hard way, but I haven't done any reading on easier ways. Maybe someone else can pipe in here and help us both out.

Good Luck and happy PP'ing,
    Chris

A picture is but words to the eyes.
    Comments are always welcome.

www.pbase.com/Higgmeister