40D shutter issue

Sean FSean F Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
edited August 15, 2009 in Cameras
I have a Canon 40D with just under 10,000 actuations and have noticed a shutter lag recently. When the shutter button is pressed there is a split second lag before the shutter goes. Sometimes it is longer and sometimes it is fine. At first I thought it was a focusing issue or IS issue with my 70-200 lens but it is happening with all my lenses now.

I'm wondering if it is the shutter going buy hopefully something less serious as its not even 2 years old yet. Any suggestions?

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 12, 2009
    A few things to try:

Remove both the primary battery (BP-511A) and the "backup" battery from the camera, turn the camera on for 30 seconds, turn the camera off and then re-insert both.

Clean the AF sensor. Make sure you start with a fully charged battery. Go into cleaning mode to get the mirror up. The AF sensor is under a plastic "mask" at the bottom of the mirror box. Use a blower to see if anything is stuck in the sensor area. Hold the camera so that if something is dislodged it will fall out.

Switch Custom Function III - 1, to position "1" instead of default "0". This should reduce hunting by the AF (but you may have to half-depress the shutter button more times to acquire focus in difficult situations).
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • norrisstudiosnorrisstudios Registered Users Posts: 2 Beginner grinner
    edited August 13, 2009
    I have the 40D and my camera was doing the same thing. The problem is that the shutter button gets dust in it. The shutter lag will only get worse unless you clean it or have it cleaned for you. I recommend the later. I cleaned mine and it became a real nightmare and I have some electronics experience. However, since I've cleaned it the camera works like new. If you are daring enough to clean it yourself, there is a video on you tube that will give you a vague understanding of what you need to do. I don't have the link but you should be able to find it if you search 40d shutter button.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    I have the 40D and my camera was doing the same thing. The problem is that the shutter button gets dust in it. The shutter lag will only get worse unless you clean it or have it cleaned for you. I recommend the later. I cleaned mine and it became a real nightmare and I have some electronics experience. However, since I've cleaned it the camera works like new. If you are daring enough to clean it yourself, there is a video on you tube that will give you a vague understanding of what you need to do. I don't have the link but you should be able to find it if you search 40d shutter button.

Norrisstudios, I realize that you've been a member for a while, but this is your first post in Cameras so, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for the informative post.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Sean FSean F Registered Users Posts: 7 Beginner grinner
    edited August 15, 2009
    Thanks for the replies, I tried the suggestions and it looks like it is the shutter button. Now to find a place to take it so I'm not without a camera for 6-8 weeks!