Taking it too far?

BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
edited June 28, 2005 in Finishing School
The following shot of Haystack Rock on Canon Beach was taken in a series with the intent to use CS2's HDR conversion to display its large dynamic range, principally to bring out the details in the rock. Unfortunately, I blew the composition, but I still thought it was a good image to play with in Photoshop.

Well, for reasons I won't go into, it was no easy task to convert all the RAW files for import to HDR, so I decided just to pick one image and see what I could do with ACR 3.1 and shadow/highlights to bring out the rock detail. I chose to work with one of the underexposed images in favor of avoiding any blown highlights. In retrospect, I could have used one with a bit more exposure, but what's done is done. Anyway, here is the original RAW image as shot:

11909504-S.jpg619972.jpg 26260421-M.jpg
Fujifilm Finepix s20Pro at IS0 200, 1/800, f/8

Here is the image after ACR 3.1 conversion:
26260423-M.jpg

With the above image in Photoshop, I did the following:

1) Noise reduction in Noise Ninja to clean up the rock and its reflection.

2) Crop and rotate.

3) Shadow/Highlights with shadows set to 93/30/79 and midtone contrast +19.

4) Convert to CMYK.

5) Aggressive sharpening of the black channel to increase detail.

4) Luminance curve to improve overall contrast.

5) Steepened black curve by dragging the dark end to the left.

6) Brought down the magenta curve a bit to accentuate the greens in the rock.

7) Resize to 4×6 print size at 302 ppi.

8) Convert to LAB for sharpening.

9) USM (500/1.5/30) on duplicate background layer and used separate dark and light hallow layers (basically Rutt's advanced method) to adjust intensity.

After all that, here's the final image:

26260451-L.jpg

After all that, my question is: have I taken it too far? Or is this a pleasing, realistic-looking image (composition and boring sky aside)? When I was finished with it, I was pretty prowd of myself. But, now, sometimes I look at it and feel it's now a little flat and inneffective. I'd love to get your opinions.

Thanks,
Ben
619972.jpg

Comments

• cletuscletus Registered Users Posts: 1,930 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Hey ben,

I think it looks good!

It may seem a bit flat, but I think that's due to the light you had to deal with. A bright overcast sky is going to tend to flatten everything out. You've got some good dark details in there, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nice work thumb.gif
  • BenA2BenA2 Registered Users Posts: 364 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Thanks
    cletus wrote:
    Hey ben,

I think it looks good!

It may seem a bit flat, but I think that's due to the light you had to deal with. A bright overcast sky is going to tend to flatten everything out. You've got some good dark details in there, so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Nice work thumb.gif
    Thanks, Eric. I appreciate that.

-Ben
  • lynnmalynnma Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 5,208 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    Nice ps job Ben.. quite a lot to do!! Good result. Gonna have to print that lot out :D
  • ginger_55ginger_55 Registered Users Posts: 8,416 Major grins
    edited June 27, 2005
    uh, well, good ps, ben. really. i do like the original sky, so ominous. can you play some more?

:hide

me, not me, I mean, an imposter..........

Identity theft, that is it, identity theft, here.
    After all is said and done, it is the sweet tea.
    edited June 28, 2005
    Thanks Lynn!
    lynnma wrote:
    Nice ps job Ben.. quite a lot to do!! Good result. Gonna have to print that lot out :D
    Thanks Lynn!
    edited June 28, 2005
    Thanks
    ginger_55 wrote:
    uh, well, good ps, ben. really. i do like the original sky, so ominous. can you play some more?
    I appreciate the compliment Ginger.

Actually, since I wasn't going for a "great shot" here--just looking to see what kind of detail I could get out of an underexposed shot--I didn't want to focus too much on the sky. Actually, I've reproduced the sky very true to the actual scene. It looked more ominous in the original shot because of the under exposure.

I try to avoid using masks in my PS work, which is what would have been required to keep so much contrast in the sky. I played with the sky a little bit with curves. But without a mask, everything I did to add some pop to the sky tended to flatten the water and beach.

Thanks,
    Ben