My friends son - bw or color?

00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
edited August 13, 2009 in People
This is a quick shot i took at my friends house over the weekend of his Son. They wanted me to take his 18mo old portraits (didn't know there was a such a needed session), anyway, this is the sample I was going to give them.. which one looks better? I'm not partial either way ..

C&C welcome as always...

70-300 @ 122m - f4.2 @ 1/320 iso200

Will_1edited.jpg

Will_1edited_bw-conversion.jpg

I did one with selective color on just his very deep blue eyes.. but not sure on that one.

thanks for looking
devin
Devin

Comments

• lisaplisap Registered Users Posts: 294 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    I prefer the colour of the two. His red hair and that bright green shirt just screams happiness & fun :)

The B&W could maybe use more contrast??

(PS: My 5yr just came in and he says he likes the coloured version as well.)
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    The color one is good but maybe a bit over saturated, or maybe the shirt really was that color green! It is the green shirt that makes me wince a bit. The BW doesn't do the little guy justice.
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I agree with the above... the color one seems a bit over saturated. I love the BW but I also do think it needs some contrast boost! Very handsome guy
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I'd go with the color for sure... what a cute little guy!!! If you are looking for CC... the only thing i can think if is that he feels a little dull around the eyes... In my short expierence i've learned that to get a good eye enhancement SoOC I can achieve this by getting the light source behind me.. or get the child to look up towards the sky if you are out side.
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • 00SS00SS Registered Users Posts: 730 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    thanks all for the comments, his shirt really was that color.. but i'm going to go back and see about enhancing they eye area and maybe tone down the shirt a bit.

many thanks for input, you guys rock thumb.gif
    Devin