End of an Era..

heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in People
All you crusty old photographers are gonna love this one :wink :

My little Miss Mercy became attached to her blanket when we moved back to Alaska when she was 1 year old. The poor dear was so traumatized by the move, she cried and clung to her blanket for months. And ever since, she has needed it to sleep or when she skinned her knee. But today, 5 years later, we are at the end of that. Of her own volition, she told me that the blanket is getting too old and the holes bother her. She decided to throw it away. With a lump in my throat I asked her if we could first take some photos of her with her special blanket... and then throw it away.

Getting rid of the blanket is good, and sad... and glad... all at the same time. It marks the end of her babyhood. And the start of her being a bigger girl.

So here they are: a special blanket documented.

618323772_sfuh4-L.jpg

618322752_UQr7W-M.jpg

618329479_zXisc-L.jpg

Its silly, but it almost feels like a graduation or something.:rolleyes

Comments

• sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    You are going to cherish these forever.

Caroline
  • whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    A little tear in my eye........only because I can relate. My 3 year-old LOVES his blanket. I'll think of this post (and these great pics) the next time I think of nagging him about him wanting to take that thing to the library/grocery store/to the chicken coop.....etc, etc.

Thanks for sharing this great story and these greats pictures (esp #3). clap.gifclap.gif
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • VayCayMomVayCayMom Registered Users Posts: 1,870 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    sniff...sniff... I don't want her to throw it away, wahhhhh
    Trudy
    www.CottageInk.smugmug.com

NIKON D700
  • AgnieszkaAgnieszka Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 3,263 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Very cute set. Definitely one for the album ... awwww!!! iloveyou.giflustiloveyou.gif
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Oh sheesh... I KNOW you kept that blanky to give her when she's grown!!!!eek7.gif

Our oldest, my son, had a blanky when he was a tyke. My wife's grandmother had made it. Once he became so attatched to it she had to make a smaller one with the same yarn since he wanted to drag it around everywhere we went. Traveling size!!!rolleyes1.gif He used to pitch some kind of fit if my DW grabbed it up and ran it through the wash....but of course he always had his "spare". They are boxed away somewhere for future bribery and blushes.

My oldest daughter used to say a prayer to bless our meals that included the phrase "please bless this meal to the nursery of our hearts", rather than "nourishment" of our hearts". My wife and I always shared a wink whenever THAT came out.....and our hearts were a little broken when she began to correct her mistake. The end of an era.

So yeah....I can see how you feel like it's "a graduation or soething". And it IS....in a certain way! Funny how watching our kids reach these milestones in their lives can feel great...and hurt a little...at the same time. We used to squeeze and squish our youngest and tell her we were gonna keep her little forever and that we werent gonna let her grow up. I only wish that were true......she is a high school senior this year and will be off to college next year.

Such is life....at the speed of light.

BTW.....THESE are the types of photos that just have to be printed and stored in a shoebox somewhere to yellow and fade...and be re-discovered in 20 years. Get them printed and off that hard drive....PRONTO!!!!:D

Thanks for sharing...and dredging up the memories.thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Oh Stop, Jeff. I had my resolve all up and everything. I suppose you are right... what is one more thing in storage? Even if it is a nasty / stained / threadbare blanket.

I hadn't even thought about prayer time yet... She has for years prayed (and she had to touch each person or object while she prayed) that her "mom would sleep good and her dad would sleep good and her doll would sleep good and her blanket would sleep good... and her dog.." and so on for like 5 minutes listing every favorite person and thing in her sphere. Sometimes she will forgt she mentioned someone/thing and start over. It is quite the process. Wonder what she'll do tonight with no blanket to pray for? eek7.gif

'Scuse me... I gotta go dumpster dive.
    jeffreaux2 wrote:
    Oh sheesh... I KNOW you kept that blanky to give her when she's grown!!!!eek7.gif

Our oldest, my son, had a blanky when he was a tyke. My wife's grandmother had made it. Once he became so attatched to it she had to make a smaller one with the same yarn since he wanted to drag it around everywhere we went. Traveling size!!!rolleyes1.gif He used to pitch some kind of fit if my DW grabbed it up and ran it through the wash....but of course he always had his "spare". They are boxed away somewhere for future bribery and blushes.

My oldest daughter used to say a prayer to bless our meals that included the phrase "please bless this meal to the nursery of our hearts", rather than "nourishment" of our hearts". My wife and I always shared a wink whenever THAT came out.....and our hearts were a little broken when she began to correct her mistake. The end of an era.

So yeah....I can see how you feel like it's "a graduation or soething". And it IS....in a certain way! Funny how watching our kids reach these milestones in their lives can feel great...and hurt a little...at the same time. We used to squeeze and squish our youngest and tell her we were gonna keep her little forever and that we werent gonna let her grow up. I only wish that were true......she is a high school senior this year and will be off to college next year.

Such is life....at the speed of light.

BTW.....THESE are the types of photos that just have to be printed and stored in a shoebox somewhere to yellow and fade...and be re-discovered in 20 years. Get them printed and off that hard drive....PRONTO!!!!:D

Thanks for sharing...and dredging up the memories.thumb.gif
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Please PLEASE tell me you got it out of the garbage and kept it?? Not the same but...when I was 5 my mother took my blankie away...I never got over it so now...at 46 years old...I sleep with a baby blankie wrapped around my head everynight:cry She will thank you someday for keeping it.... make you the most sentimental mommy in the world! The pictures are great.... your daughter is a beauty iloveyou.gif
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
    edited August 12, 2009

Well...as a parent I'm sure you have had to do other things that are much less....uh...attractive...than dumpster diving. Suck - it - up !!! ...and do what must be done....for the good of the universe...world peace...harmony....and all that. Whatever it takes.

Good grief you got ice road truckers and those crazy deadliest catch guys up there. There's no wimps in Alaska!

...and...
    It's worth it!clap.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Wonderful photos, and yes to all the similar stories. My 10 year old has a blanket that she takes on sleepovers and camp that is her little slice of home. The original blanket that she grew out of is in storage.

Having your mad photo skills is a real blessing to remembering this major milestone.

On to the next phase, and next graduation!

-a
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 12, 2009
    Holy He** I'm leaking over here!!! That is so sweet! I can only imagine what will happen here when my dear daughter gives up her baby.
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Oh Stop, Jeff. I had my resolve all up and everything. I suppose you are right... what is one more thing in storage? Even if it is a nasty / stained / threadbare blanket.

I hadn't even thought about prayer time yet... She has for years prayed (and she had to touch each person or object while she prayed) that her "mom would sleep good and her dad would sleep good and her doll would sleep good and her blanket would sleep good... and her dog.." and so on for like 5 minutes listing every favorite person and thing in her sphere. Sometimes she will forgt she mentioned someone/thing and start over. It is quite the process. Wonder what she'll do tonight with no blanket to pray for? eek7.gif

These are lovely, Heather - I especially like the last one, but...(Come on, you knew there'd be a but rolleyes1.gif ) ...I'd like to have seen a final shot in which she dropped the blanket into the trash, buried it, or did whatever she did with it.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 21, 2009
    Fortunately the end of such an era also marks the beginning of a new one.

Here is out latest "beginning". Thats my baby with her first car. Just a snapshot on the day we gave it to her.

626166756_hADQY-M.jpg
  • MitchellMitchell Registered Users Posts: 3,503 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    This is sooooo sad!! I know you were crying through this!!!

That last shot is excellent.

My kids 14,12, and 4 all still have their special sleep aid (blanket, etc...).
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Mitchell wrote:
    My kids 14,12, and 4 all still have their special sleep aid (blanket, etc...).

My daughter just got married this month with a piece of her ratty old blanket pinned to the inside of her wedding dress - something old :D

I love the photos.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • mrlassitermrlassiter Registered Users Posts: 72 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    my two year old's favorite sleep aid lately has been daddy's shoulder, gonna hate when he grows outta that one. But, alas!, there are twins to take his place, .... sniff, sniff...

-mrlassiter
    edited August 21, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    These are lovely, Heather - I especially like the last one, but...(Come on, you knew there'd be a but rolleyes1.gif ) ...I'd like to have seen a final shot in which she dropped the blanket into the trash, buried it, or did whatever she did with it.

...and one with it's temporary long term storage situation after the inevitable rescue, wash, fold and presentation packagin after you're done, but just before you put the lid on the box.

-mrlassiter
    edited August 21, 2009
    one more thing, my mother made quilts for my own kids, with scraps from my blankie, which she had also made. It had sailboats on it... I mean SAILBOATS ferchrissakes!!iloveyou.gif

-mrlassiter
  • ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    These are so precious, hope you found the blanky in your dumpster diving to save for later!
  • MissBMissB Registered Users Posts: 463 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    oh my goodness.. i love these!!!! I think you should stash it in a hope chest... hehe.
    Baby number 4: BUNDLEBOO
    Newest baby: R.Gonzalez PHOTOGRAPHY or HERE
    My rambling addiction: Crunchy Monkeys
    facebook fan page: R.Gonzalez photography
    :ivar
  • UmmmHowsThatUmmmHowsThat Registered Users Posts: 93 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Wonderful pictures! I never had a blanket or anything of the stuffed type to lug around with, but I do have an aunt that's handy with scrapbooking rolleyes1.gif

And Jeff, nice Cyber Green New Beetle for your daughter!
    -Bryan

• happysmileyladyhappysmileylady Registered Users Posts: 195 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    That last one is FABULOUS! I love it! It should be framed in her room and I will bet you she will take it to college with her. Beautiful!
  • JulieLawsonPhotographyJulieLawsonPhotography Registered Users Posts: 787 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    Oh I couldn't throw it away...ever. :cry

I would save it in a hope chest or something. My Emmy has a blanket right now that in all serious needs to be put away before there is nothing left of it. It was hand made for my oldest 14 yrs ago but she never took a liking to it so it was put away. My 4 yr old loves it and has to have it to sleep. It looks gross and is falling apart.....I'm trying to talk her into getting a new one. ne_nau.gif

But back to your pictures....Love the series and images that will be cherished forever. thumb.gif
  • heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    ~
    Thanks to everyone for the comments~

Important Blanket Update: (rolleyes1.gif )
    The blanket was rescued, bleached and then folded and put into an undisclosed dark location.
    Miss Mercy has chosen another blanket for snuggling, but her affection for it isn't nearly as strong. I am coping well, but am blown away by how big she is getting.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    A collective sigh of relief!!!
    Thanks for sharing the milestone.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site