what is it??

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Technique
Can someone please help me rmember what these types of photographs are called.
They are usually taken of children in old clothing (sometimes western wear) and the photograph is made to look like it is old done in a sepia tone. Or sometimes they are done of adults in old war clothing, rifles etc. I know this is a simple stupid question but for the life of me I can't rmember what they are called. :scratch Is there a certain technique used in photoshop to create the look??
TIA!
Courtney
Courtney

Comments

• CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Vintage?
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    CoryUT wrote:
    Vintage?
    I think it might be called old time photos?? heres a link to what I'm talking about
    http://www.nostalgiasite.com/
    Is there any real technique or is it basically putting the right clothes on and turning the photo into sepia tone??
    Courtney
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I think it might be called old time photos?? heres a link to what I'm talking about
    http://www.nostalgiasite.com/
    Is there any real technique or is it basically putting the right clothes on and turning the photo into sepia tone??
    Some guys are doing it for real, including wet/colloid photography.
    Most of the times however it's purely a MU/PP trick. Sometimes you may wanna put an ND filter on to force a longer exposure (old-tYme chemicalls were really slow) and cause rather period-specific static/tense posing. You can also do some particular things in post (like white-out the eye's whites completely), but that's for the extra bonus:-)
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Can someone please help me rmember what these types of photographs are called.
    They are usually taken of children in old clothing (sometimes western wear) and the photograph is made to look like it is old done in a sepia tone. Or sometimes they are done of adults in old war clothing, rifles etc. I know this is a simple stupid question but for the life of me I can't rmember what they are called. headscratch.gif Is there a certain technique used in photoshop to create the look??
    TIA!
    Courtney

Called Vintage,nostalgia,OLD TYME, PERIOD photograhy.....hada guy locally that for over 20 yrs had his studio in what is called CowTown (~1875 Wichita,Ks) that offered the most common.....polaroids upto 11x14 heavy sepia toned shot on a 11x14 view camera, offered also was glass upto5x7 and tintypes upto 8x10 or computer generated and printed to 20x30.......of course the biggest hits were for can-can girls and for guys was the cowboy bandit look or the bat masterson look.........
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• JohnBiggsJohnBiggs Registered Users Posts: 841 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Lightroom has a few automatic processing that look real good. Not just sepia.
    Canon Gear: 5D MkII, 30D, 85 1.2 L, 70-200 2.8 IS L, 17-40mm f4 L, 50 1.4, 580EX, 2x 580EXII, Canon 1.4x TC, 300 f4 IS L, 100mm 2.8 Macro, 100-400 IS L
    Other Gear: Olympus E-PL1, Pan 20 1.7, Fuji 3D Camera, Lensbaby 2.0, Tamron 28-75 2.8, Alien Bees lighting, CyberSyncs, Domke, HONL, FlipIt.
    ~ Gear Pictures
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for your help!!:D
    Courtney
  • Ed911Ed911 Registered Users Posts: 1,306 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    One of the techniques used at the theme parks is called TinType, where you dress up and have your picture taken...the result is an image produced on a tin plate with your picture on it.

It's supposed to replicate old technology with a simlar look and feel...

Not sure this is what you wanted, but just threw it in for a maybe.

Here's a link: http://www.edinphoto.org.uk/1_early/1_early_photography_-_processes_-_tintype.htm
    Remember, no one may want you to take pictures, but they all want to see them.
    Educate yourself like you'll live forever and live like you'll die tomorrow.

Ed