Options

Potential DSS #31 Entry: ?Too Much?

thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Being in the medical field, I thought about entering this image for challenge 31, but don't want to if people are too "freaked out" by it. What are your thoughts?

Title: Surgical Closure

Image deleted...maybe too much shock factor. :D

Thanks for all the feedback, gang! Much appreciated. :thumb Now I have to think of another idea...no small task :D
Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com

Comments

• Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I am feeling slightly ewwwified by it. It really is an interesting thing to see though, challenge wise I'm not sure. The central composition is my biggest nit with it.
  • Options
    miskatonic_universitymiskatonic_university Registered Users Posts: 35 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Isn't that a breach of privacy in some way?
  • Options
    dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I don't think it's too much but it seems there are a lot of other people out there who are easily grossed out. If you really want to win the contest, I think it would be safest going with something that people would like.

I'm curious to know what I'm looking at here. Were you allowed to take one of your dSLRs to photograph this?
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Well....it certainly fits the theme. headscratch.gif And, in terms of shock value it scores a 100. rolleyes1.gif

I'll tell you honestly, I am one of those who can't look at a photo like that for very long even though it's very well executed from a technical standpoint. But that's me. The judges may feel differently so it winds up being a gamble on your part. ne_nau.gif

miskatonic, unless someone can identify whose insides you're looking at there's no breach of privacy involved in that shot. :D
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thanks all. Correct, Linda. There are no distinguishing marks here to identify who this person is.

I think I'll have to go back to the drawing board and think of something "better" to enter. :D

Mahesh
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    I think I'll have to go back to the drawing board and think of something "better" to enter. :D

:hide :lurk
  • Options
    JAGJAG Super Moderators Posts: 9,088 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    hhmmm...my first reaction was to divert my eyesrolleyes1.gif Then once I got over the :puke factor I started to thinkheadscratch.gif ....are you closing up an insision from a laperoscopy?? (forgive my spelling I am not a doc).

Anyway....rethinking is always good.mwink.gif
  • Options
    edited August 13, 2009
    JAG wrote:
    hhmmm...my first reaction was to divert my eyesrolleyes1.gif Then once I got over the :puke factor I started to thinkheadscratch.gif ....are you closing up an insision from a laperoscopy?? (forgive my spelling I am not a doc).

Anyway....rethinking is always good.mwink.gif

No, not a laparoscopy. This was a straight forward hernia repair. :D

Mahesh
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I think you should go with that entry... infact any and all entries you do here in DSS should look like this....

:D
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I think you should go with that entry... infact any and all entries you do here in DSS should look like this....

I like it, and not for its "shock" value. It fits and challenges the theme. It's an interesting picture. I like the texture of the skin, the contrasts of the multiple layers (fat/muscle/underlying tissue). It shows something new -- people who haven't seen a surgical opening/closing probably have no idea of the structure of the tissue that lies over our organs.

Now, I'm a novice, and haven't seen much in the way of challenges yet, so I can't advise on the grounds of what's likely to win. I also can't give input on what's appropriate -- I think the culture of a place should be respected, and blood & body might be out of bounds for this particular forum (they exclude nudity, too). But, I like the picture, and I like how it pushes out of the rut for "opening/closing" as a theme.
  • Options
    NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    As a nurse, even I went ewww. And I have seen much worse. There is a bit of a shock factor. However, even if it doesn't have identifying properties, you still must have written permission from the patient to take the picture. Just something to think about.
  • Options
    TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009

you know,.... I think that everyone picks up on my on little world of humor, and i forget that my posts can be read differently than expected...

thapamd:

I was being sarcastic in that you should enter this... you would sure get attention and maybe win for being so bold... but I dont think so, I would guess most people would not want to look at this for more than the time it took to figure out what the heck it was they were looking at....

so take my odd posting with a grain of salt.(a large chunk in fact)

It had nothing to do with technique, it was all about the subject...
    Aaron Nelson
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    Netter wrote:
    As a nurse, even I went ewww. And I have seen much worse. There is a bit of a shock factor. However, even if it doesn't have identifying properties, you still must have written permission from the patient to take the picture. Just something to think about.

Thanks. You are correct. Written permission was given.

Mahesh
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    you know,.... I think that everyone picks up on my on little world of humor, and i forget that my posts can be read differently than expected...

thapamd:

I was being sarcastic in that you should enter this... you would sure get attention and maybe win for being so bold... but I dont think so, I would guess most people would not want to look at this for more than the time it took to figure out what the heck it was they were looking at....

so take my odd posting with a grain of salt.(a large chunk in fact)

It had nothing to do with technique, it was all about the subject...

No need to explain, Aaron...I got the sarcasm :D

Mahesh
  • Options
    NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Thanks. You are correct. Written permission was given.

I figured.thumb.gif
  • Options
    ghinsonghinson Registered Users Posts: 933 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I was thinking this was probably a family member's surgery...
    uosuıɥ ƃǝɹƃ
    ackdoc.com
  • Options
    sunflowerstudiosunflowerstudio Registered Users Posts: 145 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    ghinson wrote:
    I was thinking this was probably a family member's surgery...

Clearly, people have a much lower eeww factor than I do :-)
  • Options
    sherstonesherstone Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,356 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I want to add another comment regarding this subject of ewww factor.
    I have seen many entries into these challenges that were very dark and on the line of gory some with blood some without but suggestive. Even one of my very own entries for the LPS hands challenge was risking offending several people. Where I think this image may be different is that we all know that this is "real" not setup or fake or made to look real. The real factor kicks in and we may squirm a bit looking at it.

Personally I still find it a very interesting image because it shows the layers of the human body (skin, fat etc...), but I still have that ewwified feeling looking at it. Hence why I am not a doctor or surgeon mwink.gif
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    sherstone wrote:
    Where I think this image may be different is that we all know that this is "real" not setup or fake or made to look real. The real factor kicks in and we may squirm a bit looking at it.

I definitely agree with you on that. When I first saw the pic, I felt it in my gut lol. Fake blood, not so much.

@thapamd - oh no! You deleted it lol. I was going to say a critique about it, but I'd seen it some time ago and cannot now reference it. Eww factor-wise, I've seen worse in the Good Idea/Bad Idea posters in the military. Like, it's not a good idea to play with a bomb or your face could look like this - those type of pictures -_-
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Now I am beginning to wonder about myself... It didn't bother me at all. No blood, nothing that grossed me out. I actually found it interesting. I must be weird. rolleyes1.gif ( no surprise)
  • Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Looks like you took it down.. I would have loved to see it...

I agree with Sean.. and often a certain level of shock can be good in art, especially if it is shot tastefully and balanced..

Good luck on whatever you decide to enter..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    dniednie Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,351 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Looks like you took it down.. I would have loved to see it...

I agree with Sean.. and often a certain level of shock can be good in art, especially if it is shot tastefully and balanced..

Good luck on whatever you decide to enter..thumb.gif

Kat

Mahesh, I hope you don't mind me putting the link here...

don't look if you don't want to see it folks
    It is here Katrina....
    http://starvingphotographer.smugmug.com/gallery/9260837_hwysg/1/#618553287_xmrAN-A-LB
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    dnie wrote:
    Mahesh, I hope you don't mind me putting the link here...

don't look if you don't want to see it folks
    It is here Katrina....
    http://starvingphotographer.smugmug.com/gallery/9260837_hwysg/1/#618553287_xmrAN-A-LB

Thanks Donna.. I will go take a look...:patch
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Well Mahesh,

That is not bad.. I think it is rather interesting.. I am surprised too at the lack of blood.. I don't see it as gory or anything and the capture is educational. The eww factor fades within moments, at least for me....

However, I would say keep shooting due to the blowout on the upper right because it is too distracting..headscratch.gif

I do love the silver tools though...thumb.gif

Best Of Luck,

Kat