Tacoma Waterfront, new camera, new lens

TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
edited August 14, 2009 in Landscapes
New LOVE. What's a man to do? Well, a test run that's what! Went down to the waterfront for half an hour.

This is an upgrade from d200 to d700. Yay! Now I'm really, really broke, but at least I can take photos :ivar

618609432_XAM7J-M.jpg

618615190_7pv7S-XL.jpg

618616309_CLhFe-M.jpg

I'm pretty stoked. I can't wait to get out (two long climbing trips planned). I've never owned a big lens. Sweet. :D Although I did figure out Nikon's NEF does not edit in Adobe CS2. Bummer.
More photos: www.alpinestateofmind.com
Ski Mountaineering stories: www.cascadecrusades.org
Jason Hummel photography on:
FACEBOOK

Comments

• dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    I love that feeling of having a brand new camera and taking it out for a spin. You made a great choice going with the D700.

As far as these images go, I think you did a great job. I look forward to seeing what else you produce with your new toy.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Sweet! I know the feeling of having a new camera and wanting to shoot any and everything around you. At least you had some nice light. That 3rd shot is crazy good! :Dclap.gif

Congrats on that high-ISO king, the d700! thumb.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • TharhawkTharhawk Registered Users Posts: 286 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thanks guys.

Man oh man, this camera is a dream and so much smarter with exposures.
    FACEBOOK
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    You nailed the light on #3, great job... enjoy the new toy
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Hey Jason, that's one of my ferries! Nice light. Have fun with your new camera, Tacoma has a rich playground for shooting.

M
    edited August 13, 2009
    dseidman and thapamd I've seen your sites many times before (love them), but never yours Chris and Miguel. I need to learn how to clean my own site up. It is a mess by comparison. You guys have done a spectacular jobs, not to mention awesome photography! I can get lost in daydreams looking at those.
    FACEBOOK
  • Miguel DelinquentoMiguel Delinquento Registered Users Posts: 904 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Jason, thanks.
    I hired a professional graphic artist for overall branding and design development. He has created sites for other photographers who I admire greatly. He also happened to have a Smugmug account so he was familar with the necessary coding approach.
    I'm PM you with contact info--he's local.

M
    edited August 13, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:
    dseidman and thapamd I've seen your sites many times before (love them), but never yours Chris and Miguel. I need to learn how to clean my own site up. It is a mess by comparison. You guys have done a spectacular jobs, not to mention awesome photography! I can get lost in daydreams looking at those.

Thanks, Jason! After years of doing this photography thing, I've managed to find a few keepers. :D

Mahesh
  • rontront Registered Users Posts: 1,473 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Thanks, Jason! After years of doing this photography thing, I've managed to find a few keepers. :D

A fewthumb.gif.

Ron
    "The question is not what you look at, but what you see". Henry David Thoreau

http://ront.smugmug.com/
    Nikon D600, Nikon 85 f/1.8G, Nikon 24-120mm f/4, Nikon 70-300, Nikon SB-700, Canon S95
    edited August 13, 2009
    ront wrote:
    A fewthumb.gif.

Ron
    rolleyes1.gif

Mahesh
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Tharhawk wrote:

Don't ask me for advice on that, I have so many crappy photos on my gallery, but I don't have the time/energy to sort through them, I just take new ones that I don't have time to sort through either :D

Anyway - congrats on the new purchase! You're going to love that camera. Nice series too, fantastic light on the third.
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Tharhawk, I have to ask, since you have made the transition (from d200 to d700) that I am thinking of making, what put you over the edge? I *really* want to make the leap, but since I don't really do this for a living, I can't quite convince myself (or the wife for that matter :D ) to do it.

Do you miss the extra reach that DX gave you? Have you yet found a good "walking around" lens? I have the 18-200 VR on my D200 right now, and despite its faults, it does pretty well.

I really do envy you on this one. Take a high ISO shot in low light and think of the rest of us... :cry

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
    edited August 14, 2009
    MrBook2 wrote:
    Tharhawk, I have to ask, since you have made the transition (from d200 to d700) that I am thinking of making, what put you over the edge? I *really* want to make the leap, but since I don't really do this for a living, I can't quite convince myself (or the wife for that matter :D ) to do it.

Do you miss the extra reach that DX gave you? Have you yet found a good "walking around" lens? I have the 18-200 VR on my D200 right now, and despite its faults, it does pretty well.

I really do envy you on this one. Take a high ISO shot in low light and think of the rest of us... :cry
    I would love to say I had good reasons. One main one is that I have time now to get outside and after 100's of mountains, I really want to get the best photos I can. I worry that my knees are getting old and my desire to push myself waning. Plus photography is something that makes me feel better about taking it easy. Where as it allows me the satisfaction of exploring and going into the mountains without the risk I've put myself through to ski steep very challenging and enjoyable lines, but very committing ones with such risk I'd like to minimize, even though I know I will probably always ski them...to some extent.

For instance:

28Picabo.JPG

27SickSteep.JPG

17Steep.JPG
    FACEBOOK
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    So it was just general overall improvement of image quality that drew you to the D700? It wasn't that you specifically needed higher ISO or wider angle?

Nice mountain shots. I look forward to seeing more now that you have the D700 in hand!

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
    edited August 14, 2009
    MrBook2 wrote:
    So it was just general overall improvement of image quality that drew you to the D700? It wasn't that you specifically needed higher ISO or wider angle?

Nice mountain shots. I look forward to seeing more now that you have the D700 in hand!

Yeah, now that I have it, definitely. Both are way better with this camera. And I do love the wider angle and look very forward to night shots in the mountains. The d200 was not very good with those.
    FACEBOOK