Opinions on 85mm 1.8

chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
edited August 18, 2009 in Cameras
Hi, I know this has been discussed in the past, I was hoping to get some fresh advice. I was thinking of buying the canon 85 f/1.8. My interest lies mainly with nature and landscape photography, however I have a one year old who is growing up fast and basically any portrait work I do involves pics of her. I shoot FF (5D II) and currently use either my 50 f/1.4 or 24-105 f/4 to take photos of her. Since she's on the go all the time, I almost always shoot natural light, indoors or outdoors. The 50mm 1.4, while very sharp in low light, I feel is too wide with the FF, and the 24-105 is too slow when the lighting is not great. I was wondering if any of you who have a similar lens line up which includes the 85mm 1.8 feel that there is definitely a niche for it for the set up I describe (as in, you feel that in a similar situation you would feel very strongly about putting the 85 on your camera as opposed to the other two). It's reasonably priced, and I don't do any portrait work other than family photos. Just looking for some advice.
Thanks

Comments

• divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    The 85mm is great. That said, I recently swapped it out for its sibling, the 100f2, because I needed the extra reach. As several reviews suggested is the case, I'm finding the 100 sharper at f2 than the 85 was at 1.8 and am very, VERY happy with it. It's quickly becoming one of my very favorite lenses.

I think either of them is a good, affordable addition to a lineup.
  • Tee WhyTee Why Registered Users Posts: 2,390 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    It's a well regarded portrait lens. If you like the 50mm f1.4 but want a shallower field of view, then I think this is the lens you are looking for.
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    Yes, the EF 85mm, f1.8 USM would be a good choice for child photography.

I highly recommend that you also use flash as well to give some versatility and variability to the images. When you use flash and it doesn't look like you used flash, or if it looks like it was appropriate to have used it, then it is used properly.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • AiredrifterAiredrifter Registered Users Posts: 253 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    ziggy53 wrote:
    ...When you use flash and it doesn't look like you used flash, or if it looks like it was appropriate to have used it, then it is used properly.

Oh, I wish it was simple to achieve such! :)
  • chrismoorechrismoore Registered Users Posts: 1,083 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard that the sweet spot for the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 lenses is around f/2-3. Do those who own either agree? or do you mostly shoot with it wide open?
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Thanks for the advice. I've heard that the sweet spot for the 50 1.4 and 85 1.8 lenses is around f/2-3. Do those who own either agree? or do you mostly shoot with it wide open?

Both of those lenses will benefit from stopping down a bit, but they are both sharpest in the f5.6 or so apertures. Wide open can be useful for a softer effect.

With a rapidly moving toddler I would suggest starting around f4 just because the DOF is so narrow at larger apertures. Sleeping young subjects are much easier to shoot at large apertures but it's still tricky and requires good technique.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • Manfr3dManfr3d Registered Users Posts: 2,008 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I use the 85mm f/1.8 on the 5D II and am very happy with it (even wide open).
    I tested it against the much more expensive 85mm f/1.2 L II and
    think that while the later is opticaly better the 1.8 is very close and cannot
    be beat for the price. Just get one (with hood!) you won't regret it.

Here is a review of the 1.8 on the 5D II: http://www.photozone.de/canon_eos_ff/419-canon_85_18_5d
    “To consult the rules of composition before making a picture is a little like consulting the law of gravitation before going for a walk.”
    ― Edward Weston
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    If your currently using a 24-105, I'd strongly suggest that you set that lens to 85mm and leave it there, then chase your subject around at that setting. You might find that even on the FF 5d2 (which I use also), the lens is a little long for indoor "candid" shots, unless your rooms are large.

As to the lens itself; it took me (4) 85mm f1.8 lenses till I got a very sharp copy. My current copy is very sharp at f/1.8. When I purchase a fast lens, I need to shoot it wide open most of the time (why else would you buy a fast lens), so just make sure your copy is sharp wide open. Don't settle for so-so, sharp copies are out there.
    Randy
    edited August 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    If your currently using a 24-105, I'd strongly suggest that you set that lens to 85mm and leave it there, then chase your subject around at that setting. You might find that even on the FF 5d2 (which I use also), the lens is a little long for indoor "candid" shots, unless your rooms are large.

As to the lens itself; it took me (4) 85mm f1.8 lenses till I got a very sharp copy. My current copy is very sharp at f/1.8. When I purchase a fast lens, I need to shoot it wide open most of the time (why else would you buy a fast lens), so just make sure your copy is sharp wide open. Don't settle for so-so, sharp copies are out there.

I just got it and will try it out shortly. Did you just take test shots and send back the lens until you were satisfied?
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    I just got it and will try it out shortly. Did you just take test shots and send back the lens until you were satisfied?

I purchase lenses locally for this reason. I'll take a lens home, do all the testing that convince me one way or the other, then exchange it the next day if the lens doesn't pass my IQ testing.

You should be able to request a different copy from a reputable online retailer like B&H or the like. It just takes longer than my patience allows :D

Note: Everything is subjective...

What may be acceptably sharp to one photog may not be to another. Just test the lens with whatever method you prefer, and if your critically happy, your golden thumb.gif

Also remember; If your using the 5d2, you can set the lens "micro" adjustment. This will probably correct any minor focus issues with this particular lens & body combo.

Post-up some shots with the new lens - enjoy thumb.gif
    Randy
    edited August 17, 2009
    rwells wrote:
    I purchase lenses locally for this reason. I'll take a lens home, do all the testing that convince me one way or the other, then exchange it the next day if the lens doesn't pass my IQ testing.

You should be able to request a different copy from a reputable online retailer like B&H or the like. It just takes longer than my patience allows :D

Note: Everything is subjective...

What may be acceptably sharp to one photog may not be to another. Just test the lens with whatever method you prefer, and if your critically happy, your golden thumb.gif

Also remember; If your using the 5d2, you can set the lens "micro" adjustment. This will probably correct any minor focus issues with this particular lens & body combo.

Post-up some shots with the new lens - enjoy thumb.gif

Cool, thanks. Got it from adorama so if its a dud I could send it back. I'm just breaking in the 5dII as well, didn't know about the micro adjustments but found some online resources that should help. Thanks again!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    chrismoore wrote:
    Cool, thanks. Got it from adorama so if its a dud I could send it back. I'm just breaking in the 5dII as well, didn't know about the micro adjustments but found some online resources that should help. Thanks again!
    The EF 85mm f/1.8 - Like Ziggy say, get's progressively sharper from 1.8 to about f/5.6 and then levels out through about f/11. I've not used my above f/11 so I can't talk to that. My copy did benefit from one or two steps of AF Microadjustment - not much compared to a couple of my zooms.

As for AF Microadjustment - you might find some useful information in my thread (see link in my siggy).
    edited August 18, 2009
    The EF 85mm f/1.8 - Like Ziggy say, get's progressively sharper from 1.8 to about f/5.6 and then levels out through about f/11. I've not used my above f/11 so I can't talk to that. My copy did benefit from one or two steps of AF Microadjustment - not much compared to a couple of my zooms.

As for AF Microadjustment - you might find some useful information in my thread (see link in my siggy).

I had not seen that tutorial on setting AF, but a very good approach. Thanks for the tip.