Rain in the Distance | C&C Encouraged

CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Here's another from our Grand Canyon excursion. Almost the same spot as my first post, but on the second night. We didn't get much of a sunset that evening because of the storm that rolled in so this one was taken early evening and you can see the rain starting to fall off in the distance.

615456596_U5F7j-XL-2.jpg

Probably my last from the trip for a little bit, 'cause I'm really struggling with getting my sunrise photos to look presentable but have at this one! All C&C appreciated! :thumb
Chris
SmugMug QA
My Photos

Comments

• LoulouPixLoulouPix Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Great pic Chris as we get the sense of the storm coming in and a good view of the desert/canyon.
    I think I would have cropped the bottom with the rocks to keep about 80% of the height (it initially displayed like this on my laptop and I was a little disappointed when I see there were rocks)
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    A unique photo of popular spot !

Great job
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Another beautiful image, Chris. I really like the rain in the distance. This is somewhere I'd like to boil some water and drink hot chocolate while watching the light fade away. Fantastic! clap.gif
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • CWSkopecCWSkopec Registered Users Posts: 1,325 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    LoulouPix wrote:
    Great pic Chris as we get the sense of the storm coming in and a good view of the desert/canyon.
    I think I would have cropped the bottom with the rocks to keep about 80% of the height (it initially displayed like this on my laptop and I was a little disappointed when I see there were rocks)

Thank you Lou!

I have to admit that my gut reaction was "Oh no, I don't want to lose any of my rocks!!"

But playing with it a little, I did crop off some of that foreground and I think it's a stronger image. Or at least I like how the foreground rocks "frame" the canyon a bit better.

How this one?

619126448_ZP7Sh-XL.jpg
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 13, 2009
    A unique photo of popular spot !

Great job

Thank you Awais! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
    edited August 13, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Another beautiful image, Chris. I really like the rain in the distance. This is somewhere I'd like to boil some water and drink hot chocolate while watching the light fade away. Fantastic! clap.gif

Thank you Mahesh! :D

It was a bit warm for hot choclate (110+ degrees out eek7.gif )... maybe I can intrest you in a cold drink of your choice instead?
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • LoulouPixLoulouPix Registered Users Posts: 30 Big grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Thank you Lou!

I have to admit that my gut reaction was "Oh no, I don't want to lose any of my rocks!!"

But playing with it a little, I did crop off some of that foreground and I think it's a stronger image. Or at least I like how the foreground rocks "frame" the canyon a bit better.

How this one?
    Chris,
    this is the direction I would have taken but I might have been more extreme with the frame and do this:
    619177245_xmBs5-L.jpg
    In my opinion it highlights the landscape and remove some distraction, and I even keep a rocky frame ;)

Hope you don't mind my butchering with Paint :D
    edited August 13, 2009
    LoulouPix wrote:
    Hope you don't mind my butchering with Paint :D

Not at all, thanks for showing me your vision.

I'm going to have to look it over some more and play around with it before I say "Yay or Nay" but I do like the almost "pano-ish" crop aspect. Thanks for the idea! thumb.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • Doug SolisDoug Solis Registered Users Posts: 1,190 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Chris, I love this composition and I like your second crop better than the first. The foreground definitely draws the eyes and partly because they are lighter than the remainder of the scene. I really like these type of Near/Far images as they are more of a story telling photo so the foreground rocks IMO should have as much presence as you have in the 2nd crop. Wonder how this would look if they were darkened?

The only other comment I have is the storm clouds have a definite blue hue to them, maybe it is just my monitor??

Nice job.
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Great shot! Agree that the second of the three crops is the best. The rain in the distance really adds to the photo, and the overcast-ish light really brings out a lot of detail on the interior of the canyon.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Great capture Chris. Nobody else got this...well doneclap.gifclap.gif
  • brvheartbrvheart Registered Users Posts: 434 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Chris - outstanding!!

I do have to say that while I like the second crop, I also must be the odd ball as I love the first shot as well even with rocks it seems to give me the feeling that I am standing on a ledge taking the beauty in as if I was really there.
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 13, 2009
    Lovely shot, Chris. I think I prefer your second crop. Nice colors as well.

I wouldn't exactly say no one else shot that frame though, Dan.....Just that Chris did it better! clap.gifclap.gifthumb.gif
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 14, 2009
    Doug Solis wrote:
    Wonder how this would look if they were darkened?

The only other comment I have is the storm clouds have a definite blue hue to them, maybe it is just my monitor??

Thanks for your comments, Doug. I'll play around and see what happens when I darken those foreground rocks. And there is a definite blue cast to the storm clouds. It was there in the captured image and I multiplied it and boosted the saturation a bit. I like it as is, but perhaps I should tone down the multiplying/boosting a bit to get it back to being a little more natural!

brvheart wrote:
    Chris - outstanding!!

I do have to say that while I like the second crop, I also must be the odd ball as I love the first shot as well even with rocks it seems to give me the feeling that I am standing on a ledge taking the beauty in as if I was really there.

Thank you!
    A friend and I were looking back and forth between the two crops near the end of the work day yesterday and he was having trouble picking his favorite, so no need to feel like an oddball! :D

He liked the first crop because he liked seeing the rocks along the ledge, yet liked the second crop because it brought more emphasis on the canyon itself.

Ron, Dan & Jim - Thank you all for the compliments! thumb.gif

Jim, looks like we were standing in nearly the same spot and I imagine you were probably at it first! Sorry to play copycat! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Chris,

Great shot and light. I think I also prefer crop #2. I think you need the rocks in the front to anchor the shot but #2 gives you a greater view of the canyon.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Chris, WOW! I love the weather off in the distance and am glad you caught that.

Gotta say I agree with everyone else that your second version with the crop is perfect. I love the fg rocks but not having them in there at all doesn't create a nice frame that pushes your eye down the canyon. And having them uncropped is a little bit over-dominating.

Great job thumb.gif
    edited August 14, 2009
    Tom & Schmoo,
    thanks so much for the wonderful compliments!

And let me just thanks to everyone again, this week's been hectic and stressful, all your compliments and helpful suggestions have been a great way to get me in the right mood to enjoy the weekend!! :Dwings.gif
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    CWSkopec wrote:
    Jim, looks like we were standing in nearly the same spot and I imagine you were probably at it first! Sorry to play copycat! :D

We were both there, and I have no idea who shot first. The scene was compelling - I like yours better, mine was created from three landscape jpgs merged vertically as a pano.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 15, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    We were both there, and I have no idea who shot first. The scene was compelling - I like yours better, mine was created from three landscape jpgs merged vertically as a pano.

I'm jealous of the res you've got in your shot and would happily hang it nice and large if it were mine! thumb.gif

And as an odd side note, I think I totally forgot to shot photos for a pano! ne_nau.gif
    It's odd because I normally do at least a few whenever I'm out. I mean I once shot a pano of my living room just to see how it would turn out (it was an absolute stitching nightmare for CS3 and my poor old machine, by the way). And yet I either forgot all together or did such a bad job of trying it hand held that I couldn't recognize them as a pano attempt once I got home!

Oh well... looks like I'll have to return and try again!! :D
    Chris
    SmugMug QA
    My Photos
  • leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Super!clap.gif
    Growing with Dgrin