Aladdin's Cave (a thank you, and an anniversary of sorts)

divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
edited August 22, 2009 in People
Four years ago, I decided the pns wasn't enough to shoot kids onstage for my daughter's drama camp production, and pulled out the 35mm dSLR. As I started shooting with it for what had been the first time in many years, I realised how much I missed taking pictures with a "real" camera, and began the process of researching dSLR's, joining dgrin somewhere along the way.

But I didn't really begin to read and post here in earnest until last August, when I decided to shoot the production of Alice in Wonderland the camp was doing. Therefore, I consider this my first anniversary. Thanks, dgrin! Because of this place, I've not only learned more about photographic technique than I ever thought I'd be able to grasp, but have made friends and received a degree of encouragement that I still can't believe. I can only again offer my sincerest and most heartfelt thanks to a wonderful bunch of people for taking me under their collective wings and stimulating me, guiding me, and challenging me to jump into this photographic thing with ever more passion and fervour. Y'all are the best.

In any case, this year was Aladdin, the same production as in A's first year, only this time she landed the coveted role of Genie (which she has wanted to do ever since that first year). The "cave" was all too literal, sadly - despite the camp being run in a school with a PHENOMENAL performance space, they were not allowed to use the lighting unless they paid what I gather was an unreasonably large facilities fee, so they decided to do without. Sigh. They compromised on 4 tall living room lamps and a half-strength version of the overhead fluourescent working lights. Yuuuukkkkk. I swear, if Travis is the guy who always gets the mid-day shoots, then I'm the gal that's always shooting in total darkness! (Would you believe iso 1600, f2 and sometimes barely scraping 1/15?! :huh Srsly.)

Which leads me to my eternal gratitude to Missschwiss, who VERY kindly gave me the ballhead which allowed me to use my monopod today. And boy did I need it! Hardly great art, but despite the noise I have to give every sensor-crammed pixel of the xsi credit for making a valiant effort (ohpleaseohpleaseohplease can the next canon prosumer model have the 5dII's ISO capabilities...? PLEASE????!!!)

I'll be shooting tomorrow's show too, but a few from today in the meantime. C&C always welcome.

Xsi at ISO1600, 100f2 and 200f2.8 lenses. Tomorrow I may take the 50 1.8 as well.

(quotes will likely only make sense if you've seen the Disney movie, upon which this version is based)

1 ...SUCH a crick in the neck....
619311312_2CqRd-M.jpg

2 Yes, I come to the market ... alll the time... er....
619311456_aHe5A-M.jpg

An attempt at some artsy processing to try for something a little more interesting (and salvages the WB and noise issues!)
3 C'mon, Al, what's it gonna be?
619311530_onnrN-M.jpg

4. You ain't never had a friend like me....
619311414_5wBB4-M.jpg

Comments

• heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Congratulations and Happy Anneversary!

You really have come miles and miles. Thinking back to the first day I ever noticed you...http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=106446
    You REALLY have come a looong way.
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 13, 2009
    Congratulations and Happy Anneversary!

You really have come miles and miles. Thinking back to the first day I ever noticed you...http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=106446
    You REALLY have come a looong way.

Heather, that's the 2nd time today you've choked me up - first Mercy's blankie, and now this. iloveyou.gif (and in a bizarre piece of sychronicity, would you believe that the picture you linked is the one she asked to use for her "lobby card" that they made? Funny! I guess I have grown just a bit since then rolleyes1.gif As has she!!)
    edited August 19, 2009
    Just to put a button on this... I uploaded a gallery for the cast and participants, which can be found here (C&C always welcome, of course)

Not all of the shots were chosen for photographic merit (instead being for specific kids/scenes/content), but a few came out quite well; I had fun processing them (and thanks Elaine, for mentioning those presets you used for your beach set - one of those was GREAT when used over a greyscale conversion and really gave it some high contrast pop). And thank goodness for Noisware's community edition, which took quite a few shots from "eeek!" to "a bit noisy, but useable".

Thanks again, dgrin, for training me up so that I CAN do this. Perfect? Not a chance. But soooooooOOoooo much better than it used to be, especially since I'm now achieving these results by design instead of accident. You guys continue to rock my world, and I love y'all for it! iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif
  • ElaineElaine Registered Users Posts: 3,532 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    What a year you've had, Diva! Congrats on all you've learned and accomplished. You've been an inspiration to watch and your contributions here have been valuable for many! Bravo!

#2 - Whew! What an expression!
    #4 - Love it!
    Elaine

Comments and constructive critique always welcome!

Elaine Heasley Photography
  • KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Wow, I went to Heather's link and it's amazing to know that you were mortal once :D

When I started on here a few months ago, I just assumed that you were one of the experts. That's a ton of growth in a year! Keep it up; I can't wait to see where you'll be next year! bowdown.gif

For the record, on the Friend Like Me shot, I enjoy that little ball of light in the corner even though others suggested that it be removed for the DSS challenge. It really helps keep the theatrical feel to the image for me. :)
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
    edited August 20, 2009
    Thanks Elaine!
    Kinkajou wrote:
    Wow, I went to Heather's link and it's amazing to know that you were mortal once :D

When I started on here a few months ago, I just assumed that you were one of the experts. That's a ton of growth in a year! Keep it up; I can't wait to see where you'll be next year! bowdown.gif

For the record, on the Friend Like Me shot, I enjoy that little ball of light in the corner even though others suggested that it be removed for the DSS challenge. It really helps keep the theatrical feel to the image for me. :)

BWAAAAAHHHHHAAA :lol4 Me...? EXPERT?! Boy, I'm a better actress (or writer) than I realised.... rolleyes1.gif Seriously, just about everything I've achieved is thanks to the patience of the REAL experts in this here place patiently putting up with my blether and endless barrage of questions, always - ALWAYS - guiding me to the answers I need to press ahead. Truly, this just could NOT have happened without the folks here who have all taken so much time to help me along.

And yeah, on Friend Like Me I recropped for the challenge entry to fix some other things in it, and that then had to go. I like it both ways, I think.
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    Happy Anniversary Diva! you have come a long way baby?mwink.gif I think this place rocks....a great place to learn from all kinds and not just one...everyone has their own strength and are willing to share. Hope you are getting to enjoy a glass of wine and toast to your successes in photography over the past year. And I look forward to another year of seeing your daughter grow!
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    OK, I'm going to have fun at divamum's expense!!!! So, M, you've been warned!!!

Happy Birthday!!iloveyou.gifclap.gifbarb :ivar

You're talking about Heather making you cry. Ummm .... OK - now it's my turn. I have to agree with her. I looked at the two shots in the thread she linked and I'm thinking there's no way you produced those images of 'A' and the shots of the production.

You've come a long, long way. And, here's the measure of just how far ..... #4 in this thread ... I don't know how or why, but when I saw that I got emotional, eyes leaking and the whole thing. That image, for me, has got to be one of your portfolio shots!!!

And, if that didn't get you, how about this .... I gotta agree with Kinkajou. You once were mortal. Now you are one of the experts! bowdown.gifbowdown.gif Time in service has nothing to do with it. It's the product you produce and the regularity with which you produce it.deal.gifdeal.gif So, deal with it!

OK, now for a touch of comic relief (see I do know something of the literary arts deal.gif) - it's about time you think about shooting your first wedding. mwink.gif
    edited August 21, 2009
    Awww, Scott, thanks so much. I swear, I'm gonna do a Sally Field if I don't stop, so I'll leave it at that... iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

OK, now for a touch of comic relief (see I do know something of the literary arts deal.gif) - it's about time you think about shooting your first wedding. mwink.gif

rolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gifrolleyes1.gif

Ok, I'll make a deal with you - I'll start considering weddings if:

- I never have to do any formals
    - I never have to interface with the bride (-zilla or otherwise) about details, finances or a list of required shots
    - I can just be a fly on the wall and shoot however and whatever I want to tell the story of the day

How's that?! :lolrolleyes1.gif :lol4
  • Scott_QuierScott_Quier Registered Users Posts: 6,524 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    Awww, Scott, thanks so much. I swear, I'm gonna do a Sally Field if I don't stop, so I'll leave it at that... iloveyou.gifiloveyou.gifiloveyou.gif

Ok, I'll make a deal with you - I'll start considering weddings if:

- I never have to do any formals
    - I never have to interface with the bride (-zilla or otherwise) about details, finances or a list of required shots
    - I can just be a fly on the wall and shoot however and whatever I want to tell the story of the day

How's that?! :lolrolleyes1.gif :lol4
    That's called "a second shooter" - I'm making headway on this!!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Congrats Divamum....not only on these photos, but in your speedy improvement and anniversary.clap.gif

Many of us (me too) have stories identical to yours.thumb.gif
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 21, 2009
    Happy anniversary. It gives me hope....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 21, 2009

Thanks Jeff and Andrew. Yep, it is a wonderful obsession to have discovered - I'm loving it! (PS, Jeff, love the shot of the progeny with her new car! That's actually the car I would choose for mine if she was driving at the moment - they're small and fun, but *great* safety record so I hear... Thankfully, that's a milestone I DON'T need to cross for a few years yet - I'm struggling enouch with the concept of middle school starting next week lol3.gif)
  • NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
    edited August 21, 2009

I often take pictures at my friends/families weddings, just as a gift, as I have no desire to "deal with the bride" as I was one once and remember how much I expected and then the disappointment of what he didn't get. So, I thought I would show what a "semi" second shooter photo looks like, after 4 years of practice.

(And yes, you have come a long way! I can only hope that I have the same results as well!)

Congrats on your anniversary!

Now, for the picture:599037268_WBBpk-M.jpg
    And before anyone asks, I always ask the main photographer first prior to taking any photos.
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    divamum wrote:

Thanks Jeff and Andrew. Yep, it is a wonderful obsession to have discovered - I'm loving it! (PS, Jeff, love the shot of the progeny with her new car! That's actually the car I would choose for mine if she was driving at the moment - they're small and fun, but *great* safety record so I hear... Thankfully, that's a milestone I DON'T need to cross for a few years yet - I'm struggling enouch with the concept of middle school starting next week lol3.gif)

I hear ya!

We seem to be crossing many "bridges" lately.....

My son just recently moved out of here and into his first home....our oldest daughter has forsaken the college dorm and we moved her into her first apartment...and then THAT photo of our caboose with her first car, and taken on her second day of her senior year in high school. Things are quickly changing here. What we have called "normalcy" for all these years is dissolving into something completely alien. It may be that the wife and I will have to grow old one day?:D

Lifes short....shoot fast!thumb.gif
  • sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 22, 2009
    I remember your posts from a year ago! That was just around the time I was starting to participate (it's my anniversary, too). I got my D300 at the end of last July and decided to get my rear in gear and get serious about being a photographer. Watching you grow, encouraging each other, critiquing each other, has helped me grow, as well. You are an important part of my Dgrin experience!

And #4 is magical!

Caroline