NOTEBOOK - So what WAS the point???

bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
edited August 14, 2009 in People
Why did I tell you to leave your camera behind and go out and capture "images" with a notebook?

Two principle reasons:

First, to do the assignment properly you had to specifically look for photographic possibilities, and once you found them, you had to make careful, conscious decisions about how you were going to capture them. You had to think about what you did, and did not, want in the frame. You had to think about what you wanted your angle of view to be. You had to carefully select your focal length, f stop, and shutter speed - and you had to think about why you wanted that image in the first place. If you can carry the assignment over to your actual photography, you will be a better photographer - unless of course you do all those things every time you carry a camera. :rofl

And second, but perhaps more important is the idea that you did not shoot any of the "photographs" you took with your notebook. They are gone forever. Heather's fishing shot? Good luck! Sure, she may come close one of these days, but that shot, with that composition, that exposure, and that salmon swimming at her boot is gone forever, never to be recaptured.

My group of girls with their birthday tiaras? Gone forever.

So the lesson here is ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA. That doesn't mean that you have to haul around your monster DSLR and cripple yourself - throw a point and shoot in your pocket. Hell, my Blackberry has a 3.5 mgp camera, which means that I can get a 4x6, 300 dpi print out of it! Does it suffer from shutter lag, lack of manual controls, etc.? Sure. But all that means is that I have to adapt to the limitations of the equipment. But it's a camera. And if you don't want to miss the best photos you'll never take, always carry one. :barb

End of exercise.
bd@bdcolenphoto.com
"He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Why did I tell you to leave your camera behind and go out and capture "images" with a notebook?

Two principle reasons:

First, to do the assignment properly you had to specifically look for photographic possibilities, and once you found them, you had to make careful, conscious decisions about how you were going to capture them. You had to think about what you did, and did not, want in the frame. You had to think about what you wanted your angle of view to be. You had to carefully select your focal length, f stop, and shutter speed - and you had to think about why you wanted that image in the first place. If you can carry the assignment over to your actual photography, you will be a better photographer - unless of course you do all those things every time you carry a camera. rolleyes1.gif

And second, but perhaps more important is the idea that you did not shoot any of the "photographs" you took with your notebook. They are gone forever. Heather's fishing shot? Good luck! Sure, she may come close one of these days, but that shot, with that composition, that exposure, and that salmon swimming at her boot is gone forever, never to be recaptured.

My group of girls with their birthday tiaras? Gone forever.

So the lesson here is ALWAYS CARRY A CAMERA. That doesn't mean that you have to haul around your monster DSLR and cripple yourself - throw a point and shoot in your pocket. Hell, my Blackberry has a 3.5 mgp camera, which means that I can get a 4x6, 300 dpi print out of it! Does it suffer from shutter lag, lack of manual controls, etc.? Sure. But all that means is that I have to adapt to the limitations of the equipment. But it's a camera. And if you don't want to miss the best photos you'll never take, always carry one. wings.gif

End of exercise.

You must be an evil genius to teach us to always carry a camera by taking away our cameras! rolleyes1.gif

This was an excellent exercise B.D. Thanks!
    Travis
  • divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I am SO sorry that I wasn't able to follow through with this exercise. Life went BERSERK the past two weeks (not limited to, but including, broken dishwasher and broken washing machine - standing water... let me show you it...) and I just ran out of brain power.

Awesome exercise, however!!!!
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    divamum wrote:
    I am SO sorry that I wasn't able to follow through with this exercise. Life went BERSERK the past two weeks (not limited to, but including, broken dishwasher and broken washing machine - standing water... let me show you it...) and I just ran out of brain power.

Awesome exercise, however!!!!

So go ahead and do it now. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed