Question about people

AnotherWannabeAnotherWannabe Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
edited August 14, 2009 in People
Can you just shoot strangers and use their pictures without their consent? I'm never quite sure what to do about this.

Comments

• InsuredDisasterInsuredDisaster Registered Users Posts: 1,132 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Commercially, I'd say no. If you were uploading your images to stock photo agencies or virtually anywhere else, they require a model release. I guess you could get away with selling them yourself directly to the end user, (such as a private person,) but don't you think that's a bit unethical? How' you like it if you found out that someone was profiting from your likeness when you were walking down the street, say, with your pants upzipped or a ketchup stain on your shirt, if the artist was selling prints like that to demonstrate his artistic vision of how society is oblivous to their appearance or something?

I'd be pissed.
  • AnotherWannabeAnotherWannabe Registered Users Posts: 29 Big grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Well...
    I don't mean taking the pictures for profit. I'm talking about snapping a boy who is fishing at a lake, or people in a parking lot, etc.

I was at work the other day and saw people running in the rain. If you shot them and posted here just for fun, is that a violation?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    No, that's absolutely fine. You can take pictures of whatever you want to if it's in a public place. That includes people, kids, homes, cars, whatever.

Here's the rules, or at least one lawyer's interpretation of the rules. Although, I've yet to see anyone dispute this. http://www.krages.com/ThePhotographersRight.pdf
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Actually, you can take photos of people in public and submit them to stock agencies without a model release. They can only be used for editorial use, not commercial. Most of my stock work is editorial. As long as you are not implying something pejorative in the photo - such as drug use, prostitution, etc. - you don't need a model release for editorial use and certainly not for use in a forum like this.

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • jethibodjethibod Registered Users Posts: 103 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I was wondering about this, too. Thanks for the question and for the answers! This will make me much more brave! rolleyes1.gif
    Jen

Live today like you'll wish you would have 10 years in the future. You only get one life; this is it...live it up. -
    Joy Nash
    edited August 14, 2009
    Thanks
    That's exactly what I wanted to know. I've always just taken pictures of family and friends, but want to venture out.
    edited August 14, 2009
    Have to know - Kdog
    Steve? Is that you?
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    Steve? Is that you?
    Nope, unfortunately I'm Joel. :D
    edited August 14, 2009
    Ha
    Being Joel is fine with me. I thought I bumped into someone I knew.