Nikon 50mm1.4G or Sigma Sigma AF 50mm f/1.4 EX DG HSM ?

Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
edited September 3, 2009 in Cameras
Well I have read a few comparisons and from what I have read, the Sigma seems to win the battle when it comes to being sharper wide open as well as the bokeh ?

Anyone out there using any of these lenses ?

I am looking to step into the "fast fifty" market, wondering which one to buy. I must admit that to date all of my lenses are Nikon, so I am little
skeptical when it comes to possibly buying from another vendor.

PS..not concerned with the difference in $$

Cheers

Dave
Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
that has added up over the years :wink

Comments

• Cygnus StudiosCygnus Studios Registered Users Posts: 2,294 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Dave Clee wrote:
    Well I have read a few comparisons and from what I have read, the Sigma seems to win the battle when it comes to being sharper wide open as well as the bokeh ?

I own both of these and the Nikkor is my first choice out of the bag. The Sigma and Nikkor become tack sharp at 1.8, but certainly usable at 1.4. Both are fast focusing and will focus in very low light.

I find the bokeh more predictable with the Nikkor. The sigma is creamy to a point, but on full frame cameras it begins to lose some towards the edges. Not horribly, but noticeable.

You cannot go wrong with either choice.
    Steve

Website
  • Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Thanks for the reply..I'll pick up the Nikkor tonight and take it for a spin :D
    I own both of these and the Nikkor is my first choice out of the bag. The Sigma and Nikkor become tack sharp at 1.8, but certainly usable at 1.4. Both are fast focusing and will focus in very low light.

I find the bokeh more predictable with the Nikkor. The sigma is creamy to a point, but on full frame cameras it begins to lose some towards the edges. Not horribly, but noticeable.

You cannot go wrong with either choice.
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • bloomphotogbloomphotog Registered Users Posts: 582 Major grins
    edited September 3, 2009
    I recently picked up the new 50 1.4G. I love it. The focusing it very fast, at excels in low light. I use it on a FF D700 and there is VERY little vignetting. I do think the bokeh leaves a little to be desired, but this comes at a huge jump in overall corner to corner sharpness. The Sigma is known to have erratic back-front focusing issues, this in return for creamy bokeh subject ranges of 10-20 feet.

Siggy vs. Nikon...Bokeh or sharpness...pick your flavor.

Here's a some shots from my Nikon 50mm 1.4G and it's maiden voyage....A day at the lake with some friends. :D

634191604_qR3jT-XL.jpg

634194014_vW88A-XL.jpg

634193238_Kh3C6-XL.jpg

634198893_qufyf-XL.jpg

634207529_JhL4j-XL.jpg