Virgin river narrows

VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Landscapes
Few photos from Virgin river narrows we did after Subway, middle one one as taken in Orderville canyon.
C&C is always welcome.

618013299_QpXqc-L.jpg . . . . . . . . . 618013796_7VGaK-L.jpg . . . . . . . . . 618013532_734wP-L.jpg

Sorry for the dot's - I couldn't figure out the way to put horizontal padding between photos (multiple spaces are coalesced together)

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Fantastic! thumb.gif I was there not too long ago. It looks like the water level has receded a bit. Beautiful vertical pano shots. No need to apologize about the dots...kida looks good to me. :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • hawkeye978hawkeye978 Registered Users Posts: 1,218 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I like the composition but to my eye it looks a little flat. One trick I've learned that would apply to shots like this is in Photoshop convert the image to the LAB colorspace. Then put in a Curves adjustment layer. Open the Curves layer and pull in both ends of the A and B curves by roughly 5-10% (based on personal preferences). This will boost the colors and contrast in a very quick way. You don't even have to change the shape of these curves, just change the slope of the lines. You can then adjust the Luminance curve (L) to taste.
  • TangoTango Registered Users Posts: 4,592 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    how far did you go in? you didnt happen to take any shots of big springs did you?

what lens are you using here?? are these stitched or cropped?
    Aaron Nelson
  • tisuntisun Registered Users Posts: 435 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Very nice triptych. I was so close to visiting this place.
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    how far did you go in? you didnt happen to take any shots of big springs did you?

what lens are you using here?? are these stitched or cropped?
    I had resevation for Camp 6 and we did top to bottom version, main goal was to drag my 5 and 8 year old through :) so I didn't do as much photography as I wanted. We passed Big Springs early in the morning and did not stop there because water was cold and we needed to keep moving.

These are cropped, shot with AF-S Nikkor 12-24 1.4 DX from a tripod.

3801458352_d8eec3203d.jpg
  • VrungelVrungel Registered Users Posts: 139 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    hawkeye978 wrote:
    I like the composition but to my eye it looks a little flat. One trick I've learned that would apply to shots like this is in Photoshop convert the image to the LAB colorspace. Then put in a Curves adjustment layer. Open the Curves layer and pull in both ends of the A and B curves by roughly 5-10% (based on personal preferences). This will boost the colors and contrast in a very quick way. You don't even have to change the shape of these curves, just change the slope of the lines. You can then adjust the Luminance curve (L) to taste.
    Thanks a lot for the tip, Tom!
    Here is version treated as you suggested:

620403616_CuBiL-L.jpg