Options

My prices

fredjclausfredjclaus Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in Weddings
After reviewing the prices that you all have posted I have looked at my costs and came up with some wedding package prices of my own. I didn't want to offer wedding albums and prints because it seems like peole get nice albums as shower gifts and just want 4x6 prints to put in it. What do you think of these as package prices and contents?

<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-border-alt: solid black .5pt; mso-border-themecolor: text1; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt" class=MsoTableGrid border=1 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 431.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=576>Package 1
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 47.05pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=63>$750.00
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
- All Day coverage of the wedding
- Online gallery for friends and family to view and order their favorites
- Up to 200 images in a proof book format for viewing and ordering
- $100.00 credit for ordering the print sizes you wish
<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p> </o:p>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: none; mso-border-insidev: none" class=MsoTableGrid border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 431.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=576>Package 2<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 47.05pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=63>$850.00<o:p></o:p>
- 1 11x14 print of your choice from the proof book
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: none; mso-border-insidev: none" class=MsoTableGrid border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 431.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=576>Package 3<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 47.05pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=63>$1,000.00<o:p></o:p>
- 1 photo book containing the most popular photos from the proof book
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: none; mso-border-insidev: none" class=MsoTableGrid border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 431.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=576>Package 4<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 47.05pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=63>$1,200.00<o:p></o:p>
- 1 photo book containing the most popular photos from the proof book
- 1 digital copy of wedding photos in slide show format with favorite songs from the wedding playing in the background.
<o:p> </o:p>
<TABLE style="BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; BORDER-COLLAPSE: collapse; BORDER-TOP: medium none; BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; mso-yfti-tbllook: 1184; mso-padding-alt: 0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-border-insideh: none; mso-border-insidev: none" class=MsoTableGrid border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 431.75pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=576>Wedding Only<o:p></o:p>
</TD><TD style="BORDER-BOTTOM: #f0f0f0; BORDER-LEFT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent; PADDING-LEFT: 5.4pt; WIDTH: 47.05pt; PADDING-RIGHT: 5.4pt; BORDER-TOP: #f0f0f0; BORDER-RIGHT: #f0f0f0; PADDING-TOP: 0in" vAlign=top width=63>$300.00<o:p></o:p>
- Coverage of pre-wedding photos
- Coverage of the ceremony
- Post wedding photos prior to the reception
Fred J Claus
Commercial Photographer
http://www.FredJClaus.com
http://www.Fredjclaus.com/originals

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout

Comments

• Options
    SamSam Registered Users Posts: 7,419 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Fred,

I couldn't find any wedding photos on your site. Do you have experience with shooting weddings or are you trying to pursue wedding photography?

Prices without context are meaningless. While there are many factors that effect price, the key element for us is quality.

Sam
  • Options
    Darren Troy CDarren Troy C Registered Users Posts: 1,927 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
  • Options
    ToshidoToshido Registered Users Posts: 759 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    While good advice it contradicts a lot of the advice that I see on the "mind your business" forum....

There it is common for people to advise charging what you feel you are worth and what you need to get paid. They advise against starting at low rates and increasing your prices as skill increases.

Personally I am kinda split between the two schools of thought and still thinking out pricing strategy which will also determine a large part of my business model.
  • Options
    marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    There it is common for people to advise charging what you feel you are worth and what you need to get paid. They advise against starting at low rates and increasing your prices as skill increases.

I've seen it both ways here in this forum as well. It's such a very personal decision, and I myself am still grappling with the "What am I worth?" part.
  • Options
    heatherfeatherheatherfeather Registered Users Posts: 2,738 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Toshido wrote:
    While good advice it contradicts a lot of the advice that I see on the "mind your business" forum....

Personally I am kinda split between the two schools of thought and still thinking out pricing strategy which will also determine a large part of my business model.

True, but the simple fact of the matter is that portfolio is the foundation for your prices. Add to that market value in your area and your monitary needs.

(As a side note: This is not directed at the OP in anyway... just my opinion about pricing.)

But if you don't have a quality portfolio, you CAN price it whatever you want... you just as aren't likely to make many sales / contracts.

I think until you have a strong portfolio, its almost better to second shoot instead of lowballing your prices and get a reputation for being crappy but cheap. Build your portfolio, and then your foundation for pricing is stronger.

-But- my prices go up every year... because my clients get more outta me every year. Equpment / skills increase with time.

All of the above is just my opinion... worth what it cost you.
  • Options
    smurfysmurfy Registered Users Posts: 343 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    All good thoughts above. Heather is so right about not lowballing...

Assuming the work is good, I don't think you can possibly break even with these prices...The IRS wants about 30 percent, New York State will also tax your wedding photography income.

Equipment, (backups of everything), insurance, the endless hours the brides attracted to your prices will require changing every tiny thing in that photobook that already will have taken you at least an hour a page to design...and no one makes a decent quality book for under about $175.00 to $300.00, (Asuka, My Canvas through Smugmugs's premium, etc), before shipping.

Almost all couples today seem to want the digital files, but you don't offer a simple package with the dvd. Instead, the last package goes above and beyond and will take you a lot of time. You will have to purchase rights to the music used ( if it is not royalty free,) which can be rather expensive, or risk being sued. Also, if photographers don't respect copyrights of their fellow artists in musical fields, how can we expect anyone to respect our work and not "steal" our images?
  • Options
    jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I don't do "packages".

I price each wedding as I see fit depending on size, location, etc.

IMHO, even your highest priced offering is much too low for any sized event......but as others have mentioned.....you need some sample work to sell yourself.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    These are all valid points. I do have experience in wedding photography, just not shooting digital. All my wedding portfolio is in print form. I have to get it digitized and posted on my site. The wedding part of my services wasn't supposed to happen again this soon, but my reputation from when I used to shoot 100% film based has caught up to me and I have been asked by 3 people who know past clients to photograph their weddings. I will be sending the film based portfolio out to be digitized this week and posted on my site.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

Save on your own SmugMug account. Just enter Coupon code i2J0HIOcEElwI at checkout
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    fredjclaus wrote:
    These are all valid points. I do have experience in wedding photography, just not shooting digital. All my wedding portfolio is in print form. I have to get it digitized and posted on my site. The wedding part of my services wasn't supposed to happen again this soon, but my reputation from when I used to shoot 100% film based has caught up to me and I have been asked by 3 people who know past clients to photograph their weddings. I will be sending the film based portfolio out to be digitized this week and posted on my site.

Just curious...but is that to say the stuff on your site was shot with digital? Looking forward to seeing those wedding shots.
  • Options
    Dave CleeDave Clee Registered Users Posts: 536 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    All day coverage for $750 ?? Wow...that is beyond cheap. I would not even fathom shooting a wedding for that cheap knowing all of the behind the scenes work it takes to complete a wedding shoot..

- Scouting the location(s) beforehand.
    - Multiple meetings with the client
    - Showing up at the rehearsal
    - Equipment prep
    - All day shooting wedding, usually from 11am - 10pm
    - A few more days of edit time
    - Wonderful world of prints

I realise we all have to start somewhere, but seriously that price list is
    like the dvd's in the Walmart bin...CHEAP

Maybe things are different up here, but a good wedding photographer is worth more than thateek7.gif

Cheers

Dave
    Still searching for the light...

http://www.daveclee.com

Nikon D3 and a bunch of nikkor gear
    that has added up over the years :wink
  • Options
    ShimaShima Registered Users Posts: 2,547 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    True, but the simple fact of the matter is that portfolio is the foundation for your prices. Add to that market value in your area and your monitary needs.

-But- my prices go up every year... because my clients get more outta me every year. Equpment / skills increase with time.

Ditto, having a good portfolio is what is going to lay down the groundwork for your pricing... and I too raise my prices each year to match the added benefits my clients get from me every year too. When I shot my first wedding it was with a Rebel XTi and a Canon 70-200 f4 and a Canon 24-105 f4... now, well the gear is a whole different story (see gear list link my signature) and that requires a much different pricing structure to support and maintain. Plus each year I try to add more high quality options to my package, like premium photo albums which cost a decent penny to produce.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Yes, so far everything on my site right now was digital. I have some nice film based portfolio pictures, but I've not had them digitized yet. I would do it myself, but the files are too small when I just scan the images.
    Fred J Claus
    Commercial Photographer

• Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    Would also be curious to know what equipment you would be using. I definately agree with Shima. You HAVE to compensate for what you know, what you've learned and what you can offer from a quality perspective. Everyone/Anyone can pick up a camera...even a professional DSLR with prime glass...and take a picture. That's not needed of course but that is precisely my point. Creating an image, something with composition, something that tells a story with feeling, is another story entirely. I to began with an entry-level film EOS and consumer-grade Canon lenses nearly 15yrs ago. My first wedding was by word-of-mouth through "a friend of a friend of a friend...of the wife". It's a story that's echoed thousands of times. Now, the equipment - my prices - and a DVD portfolio accompanies each and every Bride I sit down with.