One from Tina

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited August 15, 2009 in People

Comments

• thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Fantastic! clap.gif

Seeing all these great documentary shots is very motivational. Thanks for sharing!
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Wow.clap.gif

I never think of there being barbed wire there. Their eyes are so captivating.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • HackboneHackbone Registered Users Posts: 4,027 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Love it, thanks for sharing.
  • kdogkdog Administrators Posts: 11,681 moderator
    edited August 14, 2009
    Yeah, that's very interesting and powerful. It's the Taj Mahal, no question. But why the barbwire, and who are the kids?
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I do not believe I have ever seen barbed wire in a photo of the Taj Mahal.

What an absolutely wonderful capture. It stands as it is, but makes me want to know more about the young women and the barbed wire.

I love that the Taj Mahal is a soft gray in the background instead of a colorful structure that draws our eyes away from the girls.

I love the girls' eyes looking so seriously at the viewer.

Very successful, even without a caption. Maybe especially without a caption.

Virginia

Email
  • W.W. WebsterW.W. Webster Registered Users Posts: 3,204 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    One from Tina
    PJ at its finest! thumb.gif
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Very strong capture...

Looks like the image was taken from the orchards across the river, due North of the palace. So at least it doesn't seem to be some death camp...
    "May the f/stop be with you!"
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Looks like the image was taken from the orchards across the river, due North of the palace. So at least it doesn't seem to be some death camp...[/quote]

Yes, across the river behind the orchards. The young girls were taking their cows down to graze and came up to the barbed wire to ask for money. The Taj is beautiful but the pollution was so depressing. This photo seemed to sum up how I felt at the time. (Maybe I'm not supposed to be explaining this yet?)

Tina
    www.tinamanley.com
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    This is outstanding. bowdown.gif

This is not your typical "Taj Mahal" picture and that's what makes it so memorable.
  • theNOIZtheNOIZ Registered Users Posts: 272 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Tina,

Powerful image. bowdown.gif Thanks for sharing.
  • RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,955 moderator
    edited August 15, 2009
    Excellent work, Tina. The eyes are haunting and the familiar landmark is in the mist. Well done. clap.gif
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    When I first saw this shot, I immediately thought "death"... Then, as I explored every inch, I see "dying"---I see the pollution, I see the girls desire for attention, money, ANYTHING... their eyes tell their own story... Oh, and then I notice the Taj---this is an EXEMPLARY photograph! You should call National Geographic... this is worthy of the highest praise!

Thanks for sharing such an amazing shot!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Wow great photograph !

Reading About you on your website made me clap.gifclapclap.gif
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • HaliteHalite Registered Users Posts: 467 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Excellent job finding a unique perspective on a building that has been photographed almost to the point of cliché. The strange juxtoposition of the brutal barbed wire against the softly beautiful architecture, combined with the intense focus of the young girls, makes for an image that invites exploration of its underlying story. Well done.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    kdog wrote:
    Yeah, that's very interesting and powerful. It's the Taj Mahal, no question. But why the barbwire, and who are the kids?

Good questions - figure out some answers for yourself. You have enough elements in this image to keep you thinking for a week, if not a life time. But just to add to what you might think...Could it be that the Taj is, in many ways, an illusion, an illusion that keeps us from thinking about the lives of most Indians, particularly the poor, to whom the Taj and the world it represents are as foreign and exotic as it is to us? Could it be that barbed wire is needed to keep beggars away from the Taj, beggars who would destroy the illusion that brings so many tourists to India?

Let the photo speak for itself. wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed