2)
3821050963_1e03b2db9c_o.jpg

Enjoy!
Travis

Comments

• Options
    gvfgvf Registered Users Posts: 356 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Nice catches - especially the second, the action of the guys body is very interesting and arresting- the B&W choice for these I also like very much -

(and your "mummy" comment on mine was one of the funniest things I've read)
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I like #2 the best.

I'm thinking it shows someone running for a base in a baseball game. (Took a hint from #1!). But it doesn't really matter why he is running, because the picture captures him in a way that tells us he is going all out. I love the energy and the way he takes up such a large part of the frame. One nit - it would have been great if you had been able to capture his entire left hand.

The rather large oof man in the bg adds a disconcerting note: he is not looking at the runner. Also, on the upper left, another man seems to be running out of the frame. This made me wonder. Is our subject a baseball player heading for second base while the batter heads for first base and another heads for home? A grand slam home run?

The girth of the oof man suggests that we are viewing an activity engaged in by folks who are definitely over 18 (even 30) years old. This makes me enjoy the picture even more.

# 1 is technically well done. I love the framing with the fence and the way the stance of the subject conveys concentration. That said, I wish I could see more of the batter's face. For me, some mystery in a photo is good. Here, though, I want just a little bit more information about the subject - information I might get if I could see his face.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    gvf wrote:
    Nice catches - especially the second, the action of the guys body is very interesting and arresting- the B&W choice for these I also like very much -

(and your "mummy" comment on mine was one of the funniest things I've read)
    Thanks, gvf. I don't really do sports so I had to try very hard to find something to peak my interest while I was shooting. It was actually a fun exercise to try and disconnect the subjects from what would otherwise have been some fairly typical activity. I appreciate the comments!
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I like #2 the best.

I'm thinking it shows someone running for a base in a baseball game. (Took a hint from #1!). But it doesn't really matter why he is running, because the picture captures him in a way that tells us he is going all out. I love the energy and the way he takes up such a large part of the frame. One nit - it would have been great if you had been able to capture his entire left hand.

The rather large oof man in the bg adds a disconcerting note: he is not looking at the runner. Also, on the upper left, another man seems to be running out of the frame. This made me wonder. Is our subject a baseball player heading for second base while the batter heads for first base and another heads for home? A grand slam home run?

The girth of the oof man suggests that we are viewing an activity engaged in by folks who are definitely over 18 (even 30) years old. This makes me enjoy the picture even more.

# 1 is technically well done. I love the framing with the fence and the way the stance of the subject conveys concentration. That said, I wish I could see more of the batter's face. For me, some mystery in a photo is good. Here, though, I want just a little bit more information about the subject - information I might get if I could see his face.

Virginia
    Thanks for the comments, Virginia. I also prefer number two over the first. I thought the body language in number one, though, was very atypical of what one would expect in such an environment. Thanks again!
    Travis
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I'm the odd one out, I guess, because I like #1. He appears to be deep in thought and his thoughts aren't necessarily on the game.
  • Options
    edited August 14, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    I'm the odd one out, I guess, because I like #1. He appears to be deep in thought and his thoughts aren't necessarily on the game.

Thanks Linda. There's nothing wrong with walking on the other side. This is especially true if doing so boosts my ego a bit. :D
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    1)

#1? Eh.

#2 - LOVE it! The light, the contrast, the arms, the position of the two bodies, the motion contrasted with the mass of the second man - all wonderful. I might like to see a bit more of the torso of the guy on the left - is their a big belly their playing off man mountain on the right? Or for that matter a flat belly?clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    #1? Eh.

#2 - LOVE it! The light, the contrast, the arms, the position of the two bodies, the motion contrasted with the mass of the second man - all wonderful. I might like to see a bit more of the torso of the guy on the left - is their a big belly their playing off man mountain on the right? Or for that matter a flat belly?clap.gif
    Thanks for the comments B.D. I did try a little bigger crop of the second image but, just out of frame, another gent overlaps the fellow on the left and turns the whole thing into a bit of a blob. I opted to keep it clean and hope your imagination was up to the task! mwink.gif

I'm truly suprised that number one hasn't been received well. I think the image is a little static but I really felt like the batter's posture was out of place enough to be interesting. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Thanks for the comments B.D. I did try a little bigger crop of the second image but, just out of frame, another gent overlaps the fellow on the left and turns the whole thing into a bit of a blob. I opted to keep it clean and hope your imagination was up to the task! mwink.gif

I'm truly suprised that number one hasn't been received well. I think the image is a little static but I really felt like the batter's posture was out of place enough to be interesting. Oh well, you can't win 'em all. thumb.gif

P. S. My daughter, a School of the Museum of Fine Arts grad who works at the top photo gallery in NYC LOVES # 2! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    P. S. My daughter, a School of the Museum of Fine Arts grad who works at the top photo gallery in NYC LOVES # 2! clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Oh my... you have appparently not seen what happens to my ego when such things are said. rolleyes1.gif

Thank you again, B.D., and please tell your daughter thank you as well! clap.gif
    Travis