Weekly Assignment #128: Isolate

NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
edited September 13, 2009 in Assignments
This assignment was inspired by a great work of a fellow dgrinner:
http://www.dgrin.com/showthread.php?t=139923
It clearly shows that is possible to convert an otherwise random snapshot into a work of art - if you know what you're doing.
Your task will be similar: take an image which would look like a snapshot and then "clear it up", leaving only the core piece. Remember the Michelangelo who was known to say "I'm only getting rid of all the extra stone".
Your entry should consist of an "original snapshot" (freshly taken) and the final image. No special gear when capturing (on-board flash is OK). Naturally, a lot of post-processing is allowed (just stop before adding wings, OK?).
Let's get of the all the extra pixels!
"May the f/stop be with you!"

Comments

• sansmotsansmot Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2009
    I went very snapshotish and took a photo of my cat. This is the final:
    3848098721_6e37cfac6e.jpg
    I enhanced the eye colors and the nose color. I also cropped and used the clone stamp to try to get hairs to reappear against the black.

This is the original snapshot:
    3848057361_6b01133620.jpg
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Here is picture I took in our backyard the other day of some wild parrots (which I also posted in wildlife).
    Snapshot:
    DSC08592.jpg
    P.P
    DSC08592b.jpg
    Courtney
  • NikolaiNikolai Registered Users Posts: 19,035 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    sansmot wrote:
    I went very snapshotish and took a photo of my cat. This is the final:
    I enhanced the eye colors and the nose color. I also cropped and used the clone stamp to try to get hairs to reappear against the black.
    This is the original snapshot:
    Thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    Good job on removing the background, although fur (as well as hair and any other similar fine detail texture) is always notoriously hard to isolate well (and yes, your clone stamp work is a bit blotchy ne_nau.gif ).
    I also don't think the final crop is beneficial for the subject, at least it doesn't do anything for me. I would try to include cat's front paws at least and maybe tilt the resulting frame. deal.gif
    edited August 23, 2009
    Here is picture I took in our backyard the other day of some wild parrots (which I also posted in wildlife).
    Snapshot:
    P.P
    Courtney,
    thank you for playing! thumb.gif
    Unfortunately, BG is still too busy, so your snapshot remains a snapshot, just a smaller one. ne_nau.gif You need to spend considerably more time in post - or maybe simply try to reshoot, since I honestly don't see what can be done here without literally replacing every single pixel. deal.gif
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Nikolai wrote:
    Courtney,
    thank you for playing! thumb.gif
    Unfortunately, BG is still too busy, so your snapshot remains a snapshot, just a smaller one. ne_nau.gif You need to spend considerably more time in post - or maybe simply try to reshoot, since I honestly don't see what can be done here without literally replacing every single pixel. deal.gif
    Oh boo.. perhaps I will try again - different subject. Thanks though!!
    Courtney
  • sansmotsansmot Registered Users Posts: 8 Beginner grinner
    edited August 23, 2009
    your clone stamp work is a bit blotchy ne_nau.gif

A bit blotchy? That may be a bit generous. ;)

What do you think of this crop?3849041207_3451594299.jpg
    I think that getting the hairs to look decent is probably beyond me at this point, but it gives me something to strive for, right? :D
    edited August 23, 2009
    sansmot wrote:
    A bit blotchy? That may be a bit generous. ;)
    What do you think of this crop?
    I think that getting the hairs to look decent is probably beyond me at this point, but it gives me something to strive for, right? :D
    I was thinking more in this direction...
  • mtbparkermtbparker Registered Users Posts: 60 Big grins
    edited September 2, 2009
    Nikolai,

I hope it's not too late to submit for this assignment. Coincidentally enough, I was experimenting with a photo the other week which I think fits this assignment pretty well.

I know it's my baby. But I'm here for the learning and the C&C. Give it to me straight. :)

Here's the original
    637931820_wJzPY-L.jpg

Here's the isolation
    637931719_arpSG-XL.jpg
    Tom Parker
    edited September 2, 2009
    mtbparker wrote:
    Nikolai,

I hope it's not too late to submit for this assignment. Coincidentally enough, I was experimenting with a photo the other week which I think fits this assignment pretty well.

I know it's my baby. But I'm here for the learning and the C&C. Give it to me straight. :)

Here's the original
    Here's the isolation
    Tom,
    thank you for the entry! thumb.gif
    It's never too late to submit any of the assignments, as fas as the rules are met.
    I like it, good decision on the graduate background and the crop!
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    edited September 13, 2009
    Hello Nikolai,
    I'm throwing in my hat.

Ok the before--

648175147_gYrck-L.jpg

and the after--I'm going for a subtle approach :). I almost added wings...

648201024_UyGuZ-XL.jpg
    Liz A.
    _________
    Hello Nikolai,
    I'm throwing in my hat.
    Ok the before--
    and the after--I'm going for a subtle approach :). I almost added wings...
    Liz, thank you for your entry! thumb.gif
    I actually like it. You've managed to turn a snapshot into a memorable piece of photography. Sepia and grain definitely helped, but the tight cropping and blurring the bg (i.e. isolation) was the key to this, IMHO. clap.gif
  • lizzard_nyclizzard_nyc Registered Users Posts: 4,056 Major grins
    Nikolai wrote:
    Liz, thank you for your entry! thumb.gif
    I actually like it. You've managed to turn a snapshot into a memorable piece of photography. Sepia and grain definitely helped, but the tight cropping and blurring the bg (i.e. isolation) was the key to this, IMHO. clap.gif

Wahoooooo!
    That makes me happy--hang on, I'm going to strut.
    Sometimes I really dig things no one else seems to like. So, glad I'm not alone in this one:D .
    Liz A.
    _________