Options

new camera

hojo11779hojo11779 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
edited May 27, 2004 in Cameras
I have been looking at the fuji s7000 and the olympus 5050 and 5060. I can't seem to make up my mind as to which one to get. Does anybody have some views or experience with these cameras? They all have plusses and minuses, but I think image quality would be the deciding factor. Thanks for any help you can give me......HOJO

Comments

• Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2004
    I think Humungus, if he sees this, might weigh in with an opinion about the Olympus. Have you read the reviews at www.dpreview.com and www.stevesdigicams.com ?

I really shouldn't comment, but I have a feeling that the Olympus cameras are said to have the superior image quality.

But, and this is a really big but, how the camera feels in your hands, and how comfortable you are with the controls, should be the deciding factor. I know one talented photographer who prefers the Fuji because it feels more like an SLR to her.

So I'd strongly recommend that you try to find a store where you can handle the wee beasties, if you haven't already.
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au
  • Options
    DavidTODavidTO Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 19,160 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2004
    One of the most important things to look at for me with these cameras is chromatic aberration. I had an OLY 3030 and the CA on that camera was a problem. Seems to be much less of a problem on the 5060 and the Fuji faired worse, so between them, I'd go for the OLY.

My personal favorite rating site is Imaging Resource
    Moderator Emeritus
    Dgrin FAQ | Me | Workshops
  • Options
    gusgus Registered Users Posts: 16,209 Major grins
    edited May 24, 2004
    hojo11779 wrote:
    I have been looking at the fuji s7000 and the olympus 5050 and 5060. I can't seem to make up my mind as to which one to get. Does anybody have some views or experience with these cameras? They all have plusses and minuses, but I think image quality would be the deciding factor. Thanks for any help you can give me......HOJO
    I think you would be very hard pressed to buy a new 5050 (i bought mine end of last year & it stoped being stocked around march this year)

There are some diff in the cameras...the 5050 takes AA rechargables & has a lens that opens up to 1.8f & is 3x optical zoom whilst the 5060 sells itself on a wider lens but has a prop battery a 4x optical zoom, it also has a slightly faster startup time & shorter lag time.

I have on several occassions needed to run into a shop & pick up a set of AA's & find that very handy.

Go to a shop & hold the fuji in one hand & the olympus in the other...the oly is twice the weight & feels of good build quality, my friend has a s5000 & im sorry to any owners out there but it feels like a plastic toy.

Go here

http://www.dpreview.com

Select buying guide & then hold ctrl down & select the 3 cameras for a side by side review.

If something was to happen to my 5050 now I would march out & buy a 5060 tomorrow. Love their stitching software & their on board menus.

Good luck
  • Options
    hojo11779hojo11779 Registered Users Posts: 3 Beginner grinner
    edited May 24, 2004
    Thanks for the info .Several sites still claim to have the 5050. It would be about $60 less then the 5060. If something happened to your 5050 would you get a5060 or another 5050???
    Humungus wrote:
    I think you would be very hard pressed to buy a new 5050 (i bought mine end of last year & it stoped being stocked around march this year)

There are some diff in the cameras...the 5050 takes AA rechargables & has a lens that opens up to 1.8f & is 3x optical zoom whilst the 5060 sells itself on a wider lens but has a prop battery a 4x optical zoom, it also has a slightly faster startup time & shorter lag time.

I have on several occassions needed to run into a shop & pick up a set of AA's & find that very handy.

Go to a shop & hold the fuji in one hand & the olympus in the other...the oly is twice the weight & feels of good build quality, my friend has a s5000 & im sorry to any owners out there but it feels like a plastic toy.

Go here

http://www.dpreview.com

Select buying guide & then hold ctrl down & select the 3 cameras for a side by side review.

If something was to happen to my 5050 now I would march out & buy a 5060 tomorrow. Love their stitching software & their on board menus.

Good luck
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    hojo11779 wrote:
    Thanks for the info .Several sites still claim to have the 5050. It would be about $60 less then the 5060. If something happened to your 5050 would you get a5060 or another 5050???
    The 5050 no questions.

I love low light shots & the 5050 has the f1.8 lens. I took a pic of some friends sitting at a table at night in the dark...i couldnt see their faces at all & the shot turned out like it was late afternoon.

I also really like the AA battery thing ...if i run out of power i just go to a shop & buy some for another few hundred shots.

The only real advantage the 5060 has is a slightly faster startup time but that problem gets better with every camera produced...in 2 years time they will be instant so whats a second extra time now. The 5060 also has a 4x optical against the 5050's 3x but im really into macro & the 5050 can do a shot to 19 mm (3/4") which i use heaps.

Macro sample at 3/4" (the 5060 is about 1 1/2")

3601017-M.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 25, 2004
    Be aware that the bloody users manual is 260 pages for these cameras...whilst they take a great family shot on programme...they have all the controls of a DSLR & will keep you busy for ages. They will never take the quality shot of a DSLR but when you eventually advance to them...you will be well versed with the techo stuff.

Some of my better shots with the 5050...i love it !!

3422590-S.jpg

3795391-M.jpg

3732022-S.jpg

3325587-S.jpg
  • Options
    pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,696 moderator
    edited May 27, 2004
    Humungus wrote:
    Be aware that the bloody users manual is 260 pages for these cameras...whilst they take a great family shot on programme...they have all the controls of a DSLR & will keep you busy for ages. They will never take the quality shot of a DSLR but when you eventually advance to them...you will be well versed with the techo stuff.

Some of my better shots with the 5050...i love it !!

3422590-S.jpg

3795391-M.jpg

3732022-S.jpg

3325587-S.jpg
    I love these pics, -gus Good work! Specially #1 and #4
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • Options
    edited May 27, 2004
    Ta PF...they are my favorite shots i have taken.

Here is the lizard up big...i love it (and my girl as well of course)

3325587-L.jpg
  • Options
    wxwaxwxwax Registered Users Posts: 15,471 Major grins
    edited May 27, 2004
    Wow, that's sharp and strong Humungus! Great, crisp shot!
    Sid.
    Catapultam habeo. Nisi pecuniam omnem mihi dabis, ad caput tuum saxum immane mittam
    http://www.mcneel.com/users/jb/foghorn/ill_shut_up.au