my only subject....

goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
edited August 14, 2009 in People
Ok this is my first try at studio lighting...none of my 3 children wanted to help me out:dunno .. soo.....my only subject was Elmo- he seemed happy to help me out. :D Can someone give me some C&C regarding the lighting please. again this is my first try.
Thanks!
Courtney
elmo.jpg
Courtney

Comments

• WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Ok this is my first try at studio lighting...none of my 3 children wanted to help me outne_nau.gif .. soo.....my only subject was Elmo- he seemed happy to help me out. :D Can someone give me some C&C regarding the lighting please. again this is my first try.
    Thanks!
    Courtney
    elmo.jpg

I'll give it a go....

Elmo is not a good subject for lighting purposes. You can't tell where there are shadows and such on his face... but from what I can see there is no shadow. You would be better using a doll that has some skin tones. It would also have been better if you took the shot from the front and not the side.

Subject too close to the background

Background not lit and wrinkly. If you are looking for white high key then you need to blast some light on it.

I hope others pipe in here.... but my advice is to get yourself a doll or find a friend to pose for you:D
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!
  • jeffreaux2jeffreaux2 Registered Users Posts: 4,762 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Use the timer n shoot yourself!
  • goldilocksandmy3bearsgoldilocksandmy3bears Registered Users Posts: 423 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    I'll give it a go....

Elmo is not a good subject for lighting purposes. You can't tell where there are shadows and such on his face... but from what I can see there is no shadow. You would be better using a doll that has some skin tones. It would also have been better if you took the shot from the front and not the side.

Subject too close to the background

Background not lit and wrinkly. If you are looking for white high key then you need to blast some light on it.

I hope others pipe in here.... but my advice is to get yourself a doll or find a friend to pose for you:D
    Thanks - with 3 boys no dolls are just laying around the houserolleyes1.gif .
    How far do you suggest the subject be from the background?
    Courtney
  • WingsOfLovePhotoWingsOfLovePhoto Registered Users Posts: 797 Major grins
    edited August 14, 2009
    Thanks - with 3 boys no dolls are just laying around the houserolleyes1.gif .
    How far do you suggest the subject be from the background?

Well dependant on space.... a minimum of 4 feet but 6-8 would be best. The photo below has the baby about 6 feet from a white canvas background with an F11 metered background light and a softbox to camera right about 4 feet from the baby. Some will say that this is a bit of flat lighting but that is my current style and it works for me :) Hope this helps....

620046161_VBbGF-L.jpg
    Snady :thumb
    my money well spent :D
    Nikon D4, D3s, D3, D700, Nikkor 24-70, 70-200 2.8 vrII, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.4, 105mm macro, sigma fisheye, SB 800's and lots of other goodies!