help... tips for taking pics in town meeting

ShebaJoShebaJo Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Technique
Hi,

I am going to the President's town hall meeting tomorrow. Please help with tips for taking pics in a gym.

The Obama team brought in a bunch of lights, they are above and surround the main floor area of the gym, so there should be plenty of light... but I am not sure. I would love to hear tips on gym pics, I don't do a lot of indoor shots.

Can't take "big bags" ... I may not get to take any bag, equipment will be limited so I am just taking my 20d, 70-200 f4, and 17-85.

Thanks in advance

PS... I changed text to "taking pics" since the more common term might not sit well with the Secret Service. :wink

Comments

• leaforteleaforte Registered Users Posts: 1,948 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Equipment sounds proper. Work the room.
    Growing with Dgrin

• pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 15, 2009
    Consider a custom white balance. Most gym floors are big yellow reflectors, and many gym lights are flourescents or Sodium halide, both of which have very funny ( or not so funny !) color spectrums. If you have an Expo disc, or a Spectrasnap color balance tool, consider using it.

If you can find something white or neutral in the main lighting, shoot a frame of it to be able to use for a white balance tool later in RAW.

If you have two camera bodies, take both, one with the 17-55 for the crowd, and one with the 70-200 for the president.

Have fun.
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
  • whiteaglewhiteagle Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Well, how did it turn out?
    My website: Fresh Edge Photo
    My latest project: Worship Backgrounds
    My twitter habit: Daniel Roberts