1. 619992649_QZv2u-L.jpg

2. 620274686_kqepw-XL.jpg

3. 619987691_Mspr6-XL.jpg

4. 620281745_SXpBe-XL.jpg

Comments

• Options
    FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I love them all, but I particularly love the was the light kisses her skin in #2
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • Options
    eL eSs VeeeL eSs Vee Registered Users Posts: 1,243 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Wow! These are beautiful. For the same reason as Shannon, as well as several others, number two is also my favorite. Beautiful pictures of a lovely lady!
    Lee

My SmugMug Gallery
    My Facebook

"If you've found a magic that does something for you, honey, stick to it. Never change it." - Mae West, to Edith Head.
    "Every guy has to have one weakness - and it might as well be a good one." - Shell Scott: Dance With the Dead by Richard S. Prather
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Nice light and composition. I'd just tone down the glow/softness effect you've added in PP. It's a little too much IMO.
  • Options
    JimWJimW Registered Users Posts: 333 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Caroline,
    Nice work. I think you’re on to something with #1, the way the light sculpts her face is nice. Beautiful shot, but the brightness of her arm, for me, detracts from the lovely face. #3 is good but she has the even light side to side. #4 looks brooding and interesting but the top she’s wearing looks a little bright and complicated. I think these are a good beginning to a portfolio if that’s their intent. Thanks for posting.
    Jim

I don't want the cheese, I just want to get out of the trap.

http://www.jimwhitakerphotography.com/
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Thanks for all the comments! She's a friend with a theatre background. We were celebrating her birthday with photos. I was going for a little drama with the processing. She had an amazing 30s-40s Hollywood themed party last night.

I may try toning down the brightness of the arm and see how that looks.

Caroline
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Lovely images!

Like many others, I like the artistry of 2.
    3 is very wonderful, I love the look of it. I hesitate to ask, though, is her eye in focus? I know the lips and nose are soft (very wide aperature or pp?).
    4 is also quite stunning.

2,3&4 I think say 'theater' more-so than 1. 3 has classic head-shot to it and 2&4 have a sense of theater to them (lighting in 2, the robe in 4).

Thanks for sharing.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    divamumdivamum Registered Users Posts: 9,021 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    #2 is the standout here, Caroline - GORGEOUS. And #3 isn't far behind....

I agree that the pp on the first is too much - she is so darned gorgeous in the more natural-looking shot that even if you're going for a glamour-look, I'd try toning it down (or alternatively a different skin-retouching technique - which one did you use?)

These are REALLY nice overall, though - great set of a beautiful subject! thumb.gif
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    It was my first time trying a heavy air brushing technique. I thought it was fun for a different kind of look. Maybe I'll push #1 even a little more over the top, and also do a more natural version. Since this is for a friend, I'm showing her all versions. I love having photos to play with.

The eyes in #3 are totally in focus, although there is a strand of hair with a tiny sparkle or something giving off a little glare. I'll have to see if I can clone that out. I softened the skin in post- too soft around the nose and lips? I was wanting to show off the eyes in that shot.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    The thing with the eye is probably more my fault ones... Looking at it again, I"m not sure what made me think something looked soft. Like I said I was hesitant to bring it up since I love the image. Don't know if the softening is too much, I was trying to figure out the image and how it was shot (very low DOF or PP). I love the image, so I guess not....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    The thing with the eye is probably more my fault ones... Looking at it again, I"m not sure what made me think something looked soft. Like I said I was hesitant to bring it up since I love the image. Don't know if the softening is too much, I was trying to figure out the image and how it was shot (very low DOF or PP). I love the image, so I guess not....

I think I shot at 5.6, so not terribly shallow, although I was pretty close to the subject.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    I think I shot at 5.6, so not terribly shallow, although I was pretty close to the subject.

You said in the other post that you softened the nose and lips, the perceived DOF is skewed by PP. FWIW, I think you did the right amount and right thing by softening the nose and lips to make the focus clearly to the eyes.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    You said in the other post that you softened the nose and lips, the perceived DOF is skewed by PP. FWIW, I think you did the right amount and right thing by softening the nose and lips to make the focus clearly to the eyes.

I'm glad it had the desired effect:)