Canon 50D + 70-200 f4 + kenko or canon extender

eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
edited August 16, 2009 in Cameras
Have an urgent need to get an extender to use with 50D + 70-200 F4 lens set up (don't have room to take the 100-400L lens with me on this trip). Don't have the usual amount of time I would take to research this and would appreciate your opinions ... should I get the Canon 1.4 X or the Kenko 1.4X Teleplus Pro 300 DG Teleconverter for Canon ... is one better over the other.

Thanks much.

Comments

• ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,079 moderator
    edited August 15, 2009
    I tested both Kenko Pro teleconverters (Canon EOS mount), the 1.4x and 2.0x, on the EF 70-200mm, f2.8L USM, and I was unimpressed with either on the Canon 1D MKII (in the case of the 1.4x) or the 5D MKII (in the case of the 2.0x). I also tested the EF 135mm, f2L USM with the Kenko 2.0x converter and the 5D MKII.

In each case the edge and corner performance was lacking on the Kenko teleconverters. I found both image softness and even chroma aberration.

I wound up getting the Canon teleconverters and they are markedly better.

To Kenko's credit they both exhibited very nice center performance, maybe not quite as good as the Canon's, but if I couldn't compare side by side I probably wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

I did not test them on the Canon crop cameras at first because I needed them to work on the larger format cameras. I later tested, and used, the EF 70-200mm, f4L IS USM with the Canon 1.4x teleconverter on the Canon 40D and I was very pleased with the results.

If your time is limited and your budget allows I do believe that the Canon 1.4x teleconverter is more of a sure thing, and it would be my first recommendation.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
  • eenusaeenusa Registered Users Posts: 186 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks Ziggy ... did manage to get some reading done last night and I came to the same conclusion ... appreciate your input.