4 from Andrew

adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
620660722_NJoR8-M.jpg

620660702_b46Y5-M.jpg

620660675_VZWbT-M.jpg

620660628_LGp5E-M.jpg
- Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
My SmugMug Site

Comments

• Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I'd prefer to see a front view of the first one. The rest seem too wide and unfocused. You really need a clear subject.
  • Options
    sweet carolinesweet caroline Registered Users Posts: 1,589 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I actually like the composition of the first shot. I also think #4 has some interesting stuff going on. I'd like to see the white balance fixed.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    White balance has been a challenge here. Firstly, these are from before I was shooting RAW and they were shot in a gynasium with those horrid lights. I think the WB in the first one is pretty close to right.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    I actually like the composition of the first shot. I also think #4 has some interesting stuff going on. I'd like to see the white balance fixed.

I'd agree on #4. A little cropping would help.
  • Options
    edited August 15, 2009
    I'll poke around some on 4 again, and see where the WB experiments may lead. I was debating on how much of the color and pageantry to crop from 4 (took out a bunch already).

Definately agree on 3. The initial thought was more about the flags in the center, but all the color around them just makes them lost in the sea.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1 is nice, but I wish you would have been able to take that from a different angle so we could get a better look at his face and at what he's wearing.

#4 is begging for a crop. The expression on the man's face in the lower left quadrant fascinates me. I would experiment with different crops that feature this guy.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:

Like number one, number two, but that one needs some cropping to make the figures on the right much more distinct. Others are pretty much a mishmash. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    I think the crops are taking the images to their limit. My currently limited skills were much more so when these were taken (though I'm looking forward to this year's PowWow based on things I've learned here). These are the re-crops of 2 & 4. 3 is the tosser for certain, so I didn't try anything more there.

621373998_RtnN2-M.jpg

621374156_MBJQi-M.jpg

These will only get worse if I go any further. They were shot at ISO 640, 200mm f/2.8 and 1/30sec with an IS lens hand-held [no feedback necessary on how wrong that all is]. These were my first time shooting something like this, probably was still a slave to running Av as well. As close to 1:1 as these are, I'm lucky there is any detail left. Thanks for the feedback and suggestions in the crops and all.

fwiw, in 2007 the PowWow was on the same day/time as the UT/OU football game. The announcer just called out that UT scored...

The other fellow just noticed the big lens pointed at him when I was about to shoot, and looked my way.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Andrew i really like how cropping has improved visual impact of photos. I like them along with 1st photo.
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I really love the way the crop to #1 came out. I can feel the energy.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks all. Really trying to work on my less is more.... Had to get over having the Native Americans in the foreground (who weren't the subject) getting partly cropped. I perhaps should have pulled back a bit since I notice a headless girl right behing the Longhorn fan and his "hook 'em" sign kinda points you at her.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Hi Andy
    The crops certainly made a big difference in terms of isolating and drawing the eye to the subjects. Even before the crop the guy staring at you out of the corner of his eye was evident but the crop really focuses in on that. He reminds me of a really funny comedian from TV quite some years ago named Flip Wilson.

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Hi Andy
    The crops certainly made a big difference in terms of isolating and drawing the eye to the subjects. Even before the crop the guy staring at you out of the corner of his eye was evident but the crop really focuses in on that. He reminds me of a really funny comedian from TV quite some years ago named Flip Wilson.

Thanks!!
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site