Just Thinking

DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
edited August 16, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
Took this photo the other day of my dog "just thinking" as I was painting the house. Really I think she was just bored since I wasn't playing with her. Told her she could help me, but a paint brush isn't as much fun as a ball being thrown.

C&C always welcome as I want to learn :D

620668890_ZYvXp-L.jpg

Comments

• adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    Sweet picture... Is the contrast cranked up on this, or is this how it pretty much came out of the b/w processing?
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 15, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Sweet picture... Is the contrast cranked up on this, or is this how it pretty much came out of the b/w processing?

I did levels, etc. in my regular editing process, but nothing extreme. In the bw conversion is where I did everything else. Contrast wasn't cranked. Is it a junker? Actually I like it -- it looks like its in-between two different kinds of processing only I can't even figure out what it is :D
    edited August 16, 2009
    Don't think its a junker since I love the look on your pup's face. I was trying to figure out the really dark parts of the hair and the way the grass looks. I guess I'm wondering what contributed to the look.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Don't think its a junker since I love the look on your pup's face. I was trying to figure out the really dark parts of the hair and the way the grass looks. I guess I'm wondering what contributed to the look.

Took down the reds and the yellows. Bumped up the greens. Then burned some on her hair and ran it through my denoise software. Oh my, sounds like I did a torture treatment on her :D

Do you think it looks over-exposed or maybe I should change something? If so please let me know as I'm trying different things and want to learn :D There are some hot spots in there, but I left them alone.

I have two other photos I did like this, but each is alittle different as I didn't know which look I liked best so I posted this one.

621220549_eYXcN-M.jpg
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    The original photo is very flat, however, your processing is way overdone. I'd tone down the contrast by a lot.
    edited August 16, 2009
    Isn't PP funny? I thought the pup started out white, so it wasn't just B&W conversion. I think the variance in her coat makes a lot of interest, so the dodge on the coat doesn't help her cause, so to speak. If you correct the exposure with levels, then you can tone down the reds and yellows still and go B&W and still have a bunch of character in the coat and not have it look so binary.

Happy photoshopping....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Isn't PP funny? I thought the pup started out white, so it wasn't just B&W conversion. I think the variance in her coat makes a lot of interest, so the dodge on the coat doesn't help her cause, so to speak. If you correct the exposure with levels, then you can tone down the reds and yellows still and go B&W and still have a bunch of character in the coat and not have it look so binary.

Happy photoshopping....

Photoshopping can make one pull their hair out rolleyes1.gif I did two more edits on this photo. The both have somewhat of a different look. I forgot to mention I did the IR treatment on the photo when in the BW conversion. I should of remembered that, but didn't till I looked at my edits. Sorry about that -- but I'm doing this and helping the hubby with some mouldings around my new windows clap.gif Then I adjusted the reds/yellows/greens. After all that I softened the photo somewhat.

Could you expain 'binary' to me please. I'm so new to this stuff. Bet that is something I should of known much sooner.

I think #2 looks somewhat like the first photo I posted only better -- do you both agree?

621275098_4QUtL-M.jpg

621278977_uK5qk-M.jpg
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1 is better. You still retain detail in the fur.

Your right it does retain the detail of the fur :D

I thank-you for your help on this thumb.gif
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like 1 better, the second is a bit too soft for my taste, unless you are trying to get a dreamy look, but I think the look of #1 is right for this little lady.

Binary just means one or zero, off or on. Sorry, more of an engineering/compsci term, not photographic per se.

If you were trying to get an IR look, I can't really comment at all on whether that was achieved well or not; I've never done anything w/ IR.
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I like 1 better, the second is a bit too soft for my taste, unless you are trying to get a dreamy look, but I think the look of #1 is right for this little lady.

Binary just means one or zero, off or on. Sorry, more of an engineering/compsci term, not photographic per se.

If you were trying to get an IR look, I can't really comment at all on whether that was achieved well or not; I've never done anything w/ IR.

Your right...#1 is much better.

I have heard the word binary before, but never knew its meaning. One or zero, off or on...sounds like its an 'either or' kind of thing rolleyes1.gif

Really shouldn't of tried doing an IR attempt. What I need is an IR camera.

I thank you both for your kind help thumb.gif

Think I'll print out the first one. Oh boy...thats a whole other issue :cry
  • jgoetz4jgoetz4 Registered Users Posts: 1,267 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Good Afternoon MK,
    Definitely #1 thumb.gif I thought your printing issues were resolved ?
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...
  • AzzaroAzzaro Registered Users Posts: 5,643 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Hi Mary Kim........ I like #1......Well done......thumb.gif azzaro
    edited August 16, 2009
    Azzaro wrote:
    Hi Mary Kim........ I like #1......Well done......thumb.gif azzaro

Thanks Azzaro :D I was going to throw out that photo, but thought I'd give it a try to see what I could come up with since Tyler had her 'bored-thinking' look.

Even tho no one likes the first one I posted -- well -- I kinda like it still headscratch.gif
    edited August 16, 2009
    jgoetz4 wrote:
    Good Afternoon MK,
    Definitely #1 thumb.gif I thought your printing issues were resolved ?
    Have a good afternoon :D
    Jim...

Hi Jim -- You like #1 too :D

Printing is always an issue with me rolleyes1.gif
    edited August 16, 2009
    Dogdots wrote:
    Thanks Azzaro :D I was going to throw out that photo, but thought I'd give it a try to see what I could come up with since Tyler had her 'bored-thinking' look.

Even tho no one likes the first one I posted -- well -- I kinda like it still headscratch.gif

Personally, I haven't gotten the whole IR asthetic. Sometimes it hits me a really cool, but more often than not, less so. And as for what you print, since you like the first one, print it; you'll be looking at it more than anyone else on this board will be....
    - Andrew

My SmugMug Site
    edited August 16, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Personally, I haven't gotten the whole IR asthetic. Sometimes it hits me a really cool, but more often than not, less so. And as for what you print, since you like the first one, print it; you'll be looking at it more than anyone else on this board will be....

I know what you mean about the IR photos, but they kind of remind me of winter during the summer.

Will print three different edits of the photo and frame them together.

Again...thank you thumb.gif