4 from Jack

Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
Some of these have previously been posted in color. Comment/critiques appreciated.

620791023_XPUjY-XL.jpg

489673141_fqpTE-L.jpg

489902342_huTd6-L.jpg

590221041_gG3AH-L.jpg

Jack
(My real name is John but Jack'll do)

Comments

• richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1 is a winner. The central composition works in this instance, IHMO. The woman behind the sign is a little distracting but not much.

I prefer the B&W version of the chess players over the toned one. The B&W seems to give it more of an urban feel.

The little boy is cute. Photo is nicely framed showing both him and his shadow. It's obvious he's been on a "treasure hunt" of sorts.
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Some of these have previously been posted in color. Comment/critiques appreciated.

Three good ones, Jack, though I'd lose the toned version of number two. And if you ever get to shoot number 1 again with everything precisely the samerolleyes1.gif , I'd like to see his feet.clap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1. You can really see into his eyes and experience his emotions. Like B.D., I would have liked to see the feet.
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    #1 is a winner. The central composition works in this instance, IHMO. The woman behind the sign is a little distracting but not much.

I prefer the B&W version of the chess players over the toned one. The B&W seems to give it more of an urban feel.

The little boy is cute. Photo is nicely framed showing both him and his shadow. It's obvious he's been on a "treasure hunt" of sorts.

Thanks for the feedback Linda. I hadn't really noticed the woman but I think I'll try to clone her out. The little boy was badly sunburned from a day at the beach as you can see. He could hardly carry the pail of rocks he collected and was trailing far behind his family crying "Hey wait for me". :D

Jack
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:
    Thanks for the feedback Linda. I hadn't really noticed the woman but I think I'll try to clone her out. The little boy was badly sunburned from a day at the beach as you can see. He could hardly carry the pail of rocks he collected and was trailing far behind his family crying "Hey wait for me". :D
    Please, please, please don't try to clone that woman out. First off, it turns an image of reality into an image of what someone wishes reality had been; second off, cloning her out changes the nature of the picture, suggesting that the subject was by himself, when in fact he was in a public place with other people. And that's an important distinction. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like #1 the best too. Just as is. The expression on his face suggests both openess to conversation and a certain still patience that plays really well with his sign. I'm thinking he might give very good advice. I understand that having the feet would complete the picture from a compositional point of view, but frankly I didn't notice it at first. Virginia

Email
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Please, please, please don't try to clone that woman out. First off, it turns an image of reality into an image of what someone wishes reality had been; second off, cloning her out changes the nature of the picture, suggesting that the subject was by himself, when in fact he was in a public place with other people. And that's an important distinction. mwink.gif

Agree 100%.
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Jack'll do wrote:

Leave her in. :D She's not a huge distraction, just a wee one, and not worth the aggravation of cloning out. Your main subject definitely grabs all the attention.
    edited August 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    Three good ones, Jack, though I'd lose the toned version of number two. And if you ever get to shoot number 1 again with everything precisely the samerolleyes1.gif , I'd like to see his feet.clap.gif

Thanks so much for having a look and leaving that positive feedback BD. People photos have just started to grab my attention (used to do a lot of wildlife/macro/and landscapes. I'd never cut the feet off a critter, not sure what happened here headscratch.gif

Jack
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1. You can really see into his eyes and experience his emotions. Like B.D., I would have liked to see the feet.

Thanks Ben. I think I'll try to pull out a bit more detail around the eyes for that very reason.

Jack
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

Thanks for that insight BD. I only got serious about my photography a year or so ago. Prior to that I was just taking "snapshots" (this is where I was and this is what I saw--with no thought at all to composition and such). Even now I struggle with creating more "meaning" with my images. I guess it's a fine line between the two.

Jack
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very nicely done. Nothing to add or subtract...thumb.gif
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 17, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    I like #1 the best too. Just as is. The expression on his face suggests both openess to conversation and a certain still patience that plays really well with his sign. I'm thinking he might give very good advice. I understand that having the feet would complete the picture from a compositional point of view, but frankly I didn't notice it at first. Virginia

Thanks Gina
    I didn't notice it either when I took it but I can see BD's point.

Jack