Options

3 from Karin

ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People
613663833_UQAbS-L.jpg

614617491_U6aQg-XL.jpg

614617811_Q8pz5-L.jpg
Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain

Comments

• Options
    michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I was struck straight away with #2. I would lighten the foreground a little so some of the detail could come though, but that's about it. The laundry on the line and the open field behind adds texture and a sense of childhood freedom and exploration. A beautiful summer's afternoon.
  • Options
    silversx80silversx80 Registered Users Posts: 604 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Very nice. #1 has a calm and relaxed feel to go along with a sense of contentment to me.

#2 and 3 strike me with a little bit of the opposite. It may be the PP, but #2, with the girl in the shade, seems to give an air of coming danger. Like a storm on the farm where all of a sudden, everyone is rushing into the storm cellar.

#3 gives me a sense of exhaustion. The girl was playing all day and decided to take a nap with her dolls.
    - Joe
    http://silversx80.smugmug.com/
    Olympus E-M5, 12-50mm, 45mm f/1.8
    Some legacy OM lenses and an OM-10
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    #2 is charming! It does need some foreground lightening, though, because the clothes on the line compete with the little girl for attention.

#1 is OK but the selective coloring doesn't do anything for me. Maybe try toning the yellow down a little or eliminate it all together. ne_nau.gif

#3 looks familiar....:D. No caption needed here. It's adorable.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks for your responses michswiss, Joe and Linda! I agree that #2 needs some lightening in the foreground. Linda, it hadn't occured to me that the flower in #1 was too saturated, but now that you've mentioned it, you are so right. Here is a desat version plus the original sooc. I tried it without the selective color, but it feels like it needs something. So, looking at these two, what would you do different with it? And yes #3 is familiar, I just had to include it:D

621173946_Qy3KD-M.jpg

621173978_MHCHp-M.jpg
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like it better with the daffodil less saturated. Now the little girl's expression is more noticeable. Have you played around with brightening up the reds or yellows in the B&W section to brighten her face a bit more? Either that, or a curves adjustment??? I'm curious as to how the photo might look if you tried that. headscratch.gif

You know, the original color version looks very nice.
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    ic4u wrote:

First is a tad cloying - please, please, please lose the selective color...:D

Second and third are terrific - ignore those who are telling you that number two needs lightening on the little girl..blah blah the instructor told me blah blah....the darkness works...wonderfully.wings.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I love ##2 and 3. These are the moments of childhood that we don't always capture. They are well composed and complete. Much more than "just" family snapshots. Well done.

The full color of the first one works for me. Either that or pure b&w. I like the way the light falls on her face and her sweet expression. This too is a part of childhood.

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    First is a tad cloying - please, please, please lose the selective color...:D

Second and third are terrific - ignore those who are telling you that number two needs lightening on the little girl..blah blah the instructor told me blah blah....the darkness works...wonderfully.wings.gif

Cloying....ok, point taken. Is that an overall feel that you have on selective coloring, or just not working for this photo? I've seen it done where I think it looks good, so I was just giving it a try.
    Thanks for the positives on the other 2!
    Karin

• Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thank you Linda, Ben and Virginia your comments are much appreciated
    Karin

• Options
    RichardRichard Administrators, Vanilla Admin Posts: 19,928 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    ic4u wrote:
    Cloying....ok, point taken. Is that an overall feel that you have on selective coloring, or just not working for this photo? I've seen it done where I think it looks good, so I was just giving it a try.
    Thanks for the positives on the other 2!

In general, I don't much care for selective color. It usually works better if you are trying to call attention to the colored bit, though there is a danger of being heavy-handed. In this particular case, it draws the attention to the flower, not the child. This may be what you wanted, but I find the child more interesting. Just my .02 €.
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Richard wrote:
    In general, I don't much care for selective color. It usually works better if you are trying to call attention to the colored bit, though there is a danger of being heavy-handed. In this particular case, it draws the attention to the flower, not the child. This may be what you wanted, but I find the child more interesting. Just my .02 €.

Ok, thanks for the input Richard
    Karin

• Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Love the series. As a series, I'd lose the selective color, it makes it not be part of the the other two. As a group, they say 'summer day in rural America' -- the flower, the swing with the laundry line-drying, the classing bench and the style of dolls all pull together so nicely.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    Love the series. As a series, I'd lose the selective color, it makes it not be part of the the other two. As a group, they say 'summer day in rural America' -- the flower, the swing with the laundry line-drying, the classing bench and the style of dolls all pull together so nicely.

Thanks Andrew, I hadn't thought of it as a series, but yeah I get that! Based on all the comments I've received, I think I will rework #1 and lose the selective color. Thanks for your input, all very helpful!
    Karin