California Sunsets and a Question

CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Landscapes
Went out shooting tonight and got some sunset pictures. I also ended up with an interesting artifact from the sun and would like to know why it happened, if anyone knows. C&C always welcome!

#1 - Mountain Silhouette
620947820_uqpjj-XL.jpg

#2 - Behind The Trees
620147481_yC4Do-L.jpg

#3 - A Hazy Sky
620944049_vphCn-L.jpg

#4 - Address on a Rock...my favorite except for the OOF bushes in front :cry
620944166_Jc56F-L.jpg

Here's the artifact:
620950207_cp8Fn-M.jpg
Daily Shot
My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200

Comments

• thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Very nice shots, Cory! I especially like the hazy sky image. Great job! thumb.gif

As far as the artifact, I don't have a clue! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Beautiful photos thumb.gif

As for the sun --- that is bright on the eyes rolleyes1.gif but not a clue why its like that. Will be interesting to know. Hopefully someone will post the reason for that.
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks!

My best guess on the artifact is pixel corruption due to over-exposure. Still not sure why that would happen as opposed to just saturating pixels, but I suppose it could.
    Daily Shot

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    It happens to me. Sometimes it's in the foreground, not always in line with the sun; it happens as the glare of the sun becomes too much for the lens to handle. That's my guess

Doesn't happen when I have my GND filter on.

When that happens I just fold up my tripod legs & leave; it's over for this sunrise, tomorrow is another day.

Here's one I turned positive...

127170820_KyKhw-M-1.jpg
    Rags
  • MrBook2MrBook2 Registered Users Posts: 211 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    That artifact is an effect known as "charge bleed" and without getting too technical, it is an artifact that comes about because of the way a CCD works. This happens because of overexposure. Feel free to stop reading now.

So, each pixel on the CCD accumulates charge proportional to the amount of light that hit it; to a point. Once you get too much charge, the CCD goes non-linear. In the end, it saturates (reaches the maximum value.) After that that point, you start to get weirdness. The best way to think about this (although not 100% technically correct) is to imagine that the charge then spills over into adjecent pixels. Because the values of pixels are read out in columns, you tend to get the charge bleed to follow columns. So, your Sun is saturated in this image, and you are seeing charge bleed along the columns where there is saturation.

Hope this helps.

http://mrbook2.smugmug.com
    Nikon D200, usually with 18-200VR or 50mm f/1.8D
    Ubuntu 9.04, Bibblepro, GIMP, Argyllcms
    Blog at http://losthighlights.blogspot.com/
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    MrBook2 wrote:
    That artifact is an effect known as "charge bleed" and without getting too technical, it is an artifact that comes about because of the way a CCD works. This happens because of overexposure. Feel free to stop reading now.

So, each pixel on the CCD accumulates charge proportional to the amount of light that hit it; to a point. Once you get too much charge, the CCD goes non-linear. In the end, it saturates (reaches the maximum value.) After that that point, you start to get weirdness. The best way to think about this (although not 100% technically correct) is to imagine that the charge then spills over into adjecent pixels. Because the values of pixels are read out in columns, you tend to get the charge bleed to follow columns. So, your Sun is saturated in this image, and you are seeing charge bleed along the columns where there is saturation.

Hope this helps.

Perfect! Thanks for the explanation and I'm always interested in the details.
    Daily Shot

• toragstorags Registered Users Posts: 4,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks from me too, MrBook2.... thumb.gif
    Rags
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Very interesting how that happens. I would think this could be used to your benefit to if set up properly.