Foggy Day in Paradise

coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
edited August 20, 2009 in Landscapes
Danny Seidman (dseidman) and I headed up to Paradise in Mt. Rainier National Park this morning to catch the sunrise and wildflowers. The forecast called for 39% cloud cover, so we figured we had a small chance of seeing the mountain but decided to go anyway. Rainier was mostly covered in cloud, but eventually revealed itself (often when we were too far away to get a good composition). The conditions didn't lend themselves to good photos of the mountain, but there were plenty of things to photograph.

Here are some of my favorite shots, again, like normal, I blistered through the processing and probably screwed up a few along the way.

#1:

620967557_MbAUs-XL.jpg

#2:

620962584_dNJfV-XL.jpg

#3:

620970390_9ufva-XL.jpg

#4:

620967036_godKn-XL.jpg

#5:

620965100_8F2Rh-XL.jpg

#6:

620954730_Rg3TG-XL.jpg

#7: That's Mt. Adams behind the Tatoosh Range. This shot was taken at around 7100 feet, a few hundred feet above the clouds (those same clouds made Mt. Rainier invisible from the Paradise visitor center).

620956253_zcjdh-XL.jpg

#8: And now, for comic relief. I'll let Danny tell the story when he posts his images, afterall, he was the one that ran away after these fighting marmots chased him...

620957300_cjCDb-XL.jpg

Comments

• koushkoush Registered Users Posts: 66 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    really stunning as usual Ron...I really miss the Northwest
    ( lived on Vancouver Island for years)
    tim
    don't get your knickers ina twist, it doesn't feel good and makes you walk funny
  • annnna8888annnna8888 Registered Users, Super Moderators Posts: 936 SmugMug Employee
    edited August 16, 2009
    Fantastic, Ron! The whole series is beautiful. Fog helped me produce some of my best photos and can be a worthy substitute for glorious sunny weather. The atmosphere it creates is mystic, subtle, serene. Please go and take some more photos in foggy weather! :Dclap.gif
    Oh, and the marmots are priceless. I can't wait for the story. mwink.gif

Ana
    Ana
    SmugMug Support Hero Manager
    My website: anapogacar.smugmug.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Very peaceful like a Paradise !
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
  • boblu262boblu262 Registered Users Posts: 225 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Really great work, as always from you and Danny.
    Keep it coming.
  • bendruckerphotobendruckerphoto Registered Users Posts: 579 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Love all the shots with the flowers. The color pops nicely against the diffused background.
  • dlplumerdlplumer Registered Users Posts: 8,081 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Another fabulous series Ron. bowdown.gif The first is my favorite, but they are all incredible. I'd hate to see what you'd come up with if you didn't rush through PProlleyes1.gif
  • anwmn1anwmn1 Registered Users Posts: 3,469 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Looks like another great day of shooting for you.

Really like the first one and the b&w for the mystery and drama. Have you tried #1 as a b&w?
    "The Journey of life is as much in oneself as the roads one travels"

Aaron Newman

Facebook: Capturing Light and Emotion
  • DeeDee Registered Users Posts: 2,981 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I live in fog, but I rarely get "pretty fog" as I call it like you did and were able to photograph so well. I love the flowers against the foggy backgrounds, and the peek-a-boo mountain, great. Glad you didn't let the forecast scare you off. It was well worth it.
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    rolleyes1.gifRodents of Unusual Size! That's a fantastic shot. Lowlander I am, I'm only familiar with "marmot" being a brand of jacket that you can buy at REI lol3.gif

Just stunning, really. So how long is the hike up there? You guys make this stuff look so easy eek7.gif
  • ridgemacridgemac Registered Users Posts: 81 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Really Great Shots!
    I really like the composition and saturation of #5!
    Larry
  • bryanj87bryanj87 Registered Users Posts: 859 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Nice series. I really like 5, 6 and 7. You managed to get some great shots despite the fog.
  • thapamdthapamd Registered Users Posts: 1,722 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Awesome! The kissing Marmot shot is classic. The fog really added alot to some already fantastic images! I spent this weekend doing a strenuous hike to Tuck and Robin Lakes. Images to follow soon! :D
    Shoot in RAW because memory is cheap but memories are priceless.

Mahesh
    http://www.StarvingPhotographer.com
  • coscorrosacoscorrosa Registered Users Posts: 2,284 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    dlplumer wrote:
    Another fabulous series Ron. bowdown.gif The first is my favorite, but they are all incredible. I'd hate to see what you'd come up with if you didn't rush through PProlleyes1.gif

That's just my excuse in case they suck! :D It does happen to be true though, I didn't spend more than a few minutes on these, and most of that was eliminating all the dust spots (need to clean my sensor again).
    edited August 17, 2009
    anwmn1 wrote:
    Looks like another great day of shooting for you.

Really like the first one and the b&w for the mystery and drama. Have you tried #1 as a b&w?

Thanks - I'll give that a shot when I get home. I usually don't have success with low contrast B&W conversions so we'll see what happens.
    edited August 17, 2009
    schmoo wrote:
    rolleyes1.gifRodents of Unusual Size! That's a fantastic shot. Lowlander I am, I'm only familiar with "marmot" being a brand of jacket that you can buy at REI lol3.gif

Just stunning, really. So how long is the hike up there? You guys make this stuff look so easy eek7.gif

That's like someone going into the Harry Potter movie and asking someone "They made a book out of that?" :D Marmots are basically giant squirrels, on this trail specifically they're pretty used to people and you can get fairly close to them.

Paradise is about 2.5 hours or so from Seattle, the hike was 5.5 miles round trip with 1,700 ft. elevation gain (peak elevation on the hike was at 7,100 ft. I believe). Remarkably accessible given how close you are to the mountain (one of the spur trails leads up to Camp Muir which is used as a base camp for a lot of summits). The whole area is under snow for the majority of the year.
    edited August 17, 2009
    thapamd wrote:
    Awesome! The kissing Marmot shot is classic. The fog really added alot to some already fantastic images! I spent this weekend doing a strenuous hike to Tuck and Robin Lakes. Images to follow soon! :D

I have a few more of those marmots that I haven't processed yet, they're definitely fun to watch. Danny and I headed up to Rainier again yesterday, but I think it'll be a few days before I can process the photos unless I blister through them again.
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks to everyone for the comments and feedback!
  • dseidmandseidman Registered Users Posts: 824 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    These turned out great! I think #4 is my favorite but it's hard to choose.
    I finally started looking through my shots from Paradise earlier today and we really did get a nice sunrise.
    I'm looking forward to seeing your shots from Sunday.
  • rwellsrwells Registered Users Posts: 6,084 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Beautiful series Ron.

#3 reminds me of the "Wizard of Ozz"
    Randy
  • Marc MuenchMarc Muench Registered Users Posts: 1,420 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    The light and mood of 4 is superb thumb.gifthumb
    edited August 18, 2009
    The light and mood of 4 is superb thumb.gifthumb

Thanks Marc! That was taken about 3 hours after sunrise, the fog meant that there was no nice alpenglow at sunrise, but it did prolong the "good light" period for several hours, and we were lucky that Rainier wasn't completely obscured the entire time (just most of the time).
  • shniksshniks Registered Users Posts: 945 Major grins
    edited August 18, 2009
    #7 is spectacular Ron. Excellent work. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    edited August 18, 2009
    shniks wrote:
    #7 is spectacular Ron. Excellent work. clap.gifclap.gifclap.gif

Cheers,
    Thanks! I almost didn't bring my 100-400 but then I thought that it was very likely that it would be completely cloudy and foggy, so it would come in handy for wildlife. This shot was really a throwaway shot I tried as we were taking a break at the high point on the hike, sometimes the throwaway shots end up looking the best :D

Here's a wide angle view of it for perspective (it's not in this photo, but Mt. St. Helens is just a little bit off to the right):

620955545_8PYZq-XL.jpg
  • schmooschmoo Registered Users Posts: 8,468 Major grins
    edited August 20, 2009
    coscorrosa wrote:

620955545_8PYZq-S.jpg

WOW! You can almost dive into that ocean of clouds. lol3.gif What a great view from up there.