2 more from Linda

richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
edited August 16, 2009 in People

Comments

• Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    Both very nice, Linda - Especially the second with the juxtaposition of the painting and the men. The first is also a nice catch, though it would benefit from cropping in on the group in the foreground.

No captions needed. clap.gifclap.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    richtersl wrote:
    Both very nice, Linda - Especially the second with the juxtaposition of the painting and the men. The first is also a nice catch, though it would benefit from cropping in on the group in the foreground.

No captions needed. clap.gifclap.gif
    Thanks, B.D. :D

BTW, this is a fun challenge you started. It's really interesting seeing everyone's takes on the photos when they have no captions. For me, this exercise really shows where people are coming from when they see a photo.

These two were dug out of my archives -- I never envisioned them in B&W. Thanks to this exercise, I thought I'd dig them out and play with them. And that's because Jack's chess players reminded me that I had them. rolleyes1.gif

I'm not exactly sure where to crop in #1. Is this what you had in mind?

621252874_AH6ZR-L-1.jpg
  • Options
    bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    richtersl wrote:
    bdcolen wrote:
    Thanks, B.D. :D

BTW, this is a fun challenge you started. It's really interesting seeing everyone's takes on the photos when they have no captions. For me, this exercise really shows where people are coming from when they see a photo.

These two were dug out of my archives -- I never envisioned them in B&W. Thanks to this exercise, I thought I'd dig them out and play with them. And that's because Jack's chess players reminded me that I had them. rolleyes1.gif

I'm not exactly sure where to crop in #1. Is this what you had in mind?

621252874_AH6ZR-L-1.jpg

Closer! For some reason I can't open the file. I'd come right up the back of the guy sitting on the left, go across the top of his head, and then down the back of the guy on the right. The folks in the back really don't add much with this one.

And the 'no titles' really is proving very interesting - I think. What I hope it shows us are two things:
    A label and explanation can't save a mediocre photo; and, more important, if it's not in the pixels, it's not there. A photograph is what's on the screen, or the piece of coated paper - not what was in your mind at the moment you released the shutter - that, unfortunately, is relevant only to you.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • Options
    FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Wow, Linda. These are wonderful.

At first I thought I liked #2 the best, but on looking again, I think I might prefer #2 because I see more expressions to ponder.

They really work in B&W don't they?

Virginia

Email
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks, B.D. Is this closer to what you were talking about? I'm hesitant to crop down much further lest I lose too much of the guy's head on the right. headscratch.gif

621598440_RvrLQ-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Flyinggina wrote:
    Wow, Linda. These are wonderful.

At first I thought I liked #2 the best, but on looking again, I think I might prefer #2 because I see more expressions to ponder.

They really work in B&W don't they?

Virginia

Thanks, Virginia. I took these in Miami Beach. We were on a tour after a cruise and had stopped in the Cuban section of the city. There was a small park near where we had stopped where the local men got together to play dominoes. And, boy, were they ever serious about it! No one even noticed me. Even though I didn't care for how these shots came out in color, I'm so glad I saved them. These were taken in 2004.
  • Options
    Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    These are really great Linda. My first impression was that they were a bunch of extras taking a break from shooting a Damon Runyon movie. I don't think the color version would have evoked that impression. :D

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • Options
    ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I really like these Linda, especially #2. It makes me think of the movie Grumpy Old Men for some reason! My only thought on the cropping of #1 was to lose the white(whatever it is) on the left, otherwise it's great IMO!
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Thanks, Karin & Jack. I had a really good time revisiting these.

Just for comparison, the color version of one of them is on Trek Earth. B&W definitely works better.
  • Options
    saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like both of these Linda, especially after you cropped #1. #2 reminds me of my grandfather. He used to play dominoes in the park years ago. Not sure that's what they are doing, but it instantly brought back memories of my grandpa for me. I also find the mural in the background an interesting addition.