620191362_xr8HF-L-1.jpg

559785539_euyPP-L-6.jpg

555850427_7ghsr-L-5.jpg

607438193_UtEqt-L.jpg
"…………………" - Marcel Marceau

Comments

• FlyingginaFlyinggina Registered Users Posts: 2,639 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    My favorite is the fourth one. I would crop from the left and bottom to bring our focus more closely on the young woman in the group whose face we can see.

I think the second one has potential, but I really do miss his left hand and his face looks a bit out of focus to me. Also, I'm not seeing any clues to why the man is posed before two clocks, which makes me lose interest pretty quickly.
    Finally, the straight on framing doesn't help.

I like the third one. I'd like to see it in black and white.

Virginia

Email
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    555849766_3RbC9-L-4.jpg

[

I did a real double take on #1, Wil - fun! rolleyes1.gif

Two is nice, but three is the winner. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    3 is it for me as well. Excellent shot.

I didn't even notice the humor in #1 until B.D. pointed it out. Sheesh! Fun shot, though. thumb.gif
    Travis
  • Jack'll doJack'll do Registered Users Posts: 2,977 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Love #3 for the excellent exposure and the inquisitive look on the little boy's face. Also like the sparkle in the old gent's eyes and the impish look on his face. clap.gif

Jack
    (My real name is John but Jack'll do)
  • saurorasaurora Registered Users Posts: 4,320 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    #1 is a kick! Nice exposure too. #2 If this twinkly-eyed gentleman isn't a clock-smith, I'll eat my hat rolleyes1.gif . At least, I immediately assumed this was an environmental type portrait and nicely done, so I didn't question why he was standing in front of 2 clocks for a minute! (pun intended!) #3 isn't quite there for me although I really like her penetrating glance. I don't know if the photo was underexposed or if it's the processing, but the shadows appear totally plugged on my monitor. It also seems soft, like maybe a large crop? #4 I can't figure out how you got the 3 girls in the center of the photo fairly sharp and yet there appears to be heavy camera shake all around them, especially the background. headscratch.gif #5 I would crop a little bit off the top. Interesting mix!
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thanks for looking and commenting - it's interesting to see what other viewers make of one's pictures (do they work or don't they?).

#1 was almost by accident; I was at a graduation party at a friends house and there were all these amazing pictures and pieces of sculpture around, and the place was filled with interesting people. The girl in the picture didn't understand what I was trying to do until I showed her the result… :D

#2 is indeed a picture of a clock-maker, and there are some more pictures of him and some of his clocks on my site. They were taken at least thirty years ago when I lived in the UK. Kodachrome in Minolta gear and glass. Scanned in and just about as it was in the viewfinder.

#3 Same vintage as #2; Kodachrome, with a long lens, and purely a grab shot one Saturday in the local shopping precinct. I'd never thought about B&W - interesting idea…

#4 The attraction was the girl with the dark hair - I thought her to be stunning (still do) and I grabbed a sequence of candids of her and her friends at an outdoor fête at a local school. The picture was taken with a 250mm mirror lens which explains the out-of-focus highlights appearing as donuts, and also the apparent camera shake (it was hand-held and I think the exposure was most probably 1/250 or so - the effective aperture on the 250mm Rokkor is f5.6).

#5 This was grabbed with a point & shoot at the New England Folk Festival four or five years ago where I was doing the sound. I thought the girl to be very photogenic, and couldn't really tell her to put the baby aside aside for a moment as I wanted to take a picture of her (the girl), so we got the baby as well, but think you'll agree that the girl is very relaxed in front of the camera.

Only #1 and #5 were taken with a digital camera; the others were from 35mm slides, Kodachrome scanned at 4000dpi; they were all as framed in the viewfinder, minimal cropping and very little tweaking.

Thanks again for looking -
    - Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Nice images. Took me a second to parse the wine glass as part of the picture in the first one. Nice job having the lighting enable the illusion just that much longer.

Third one is precious. The father (?) appears to be talking and the little girl is giving you that "I see you..., backoff -- I'm having a moment here" look.

Sweet picture in 5...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site