Bars, Hydrants and Bridges (Opinions Please)

justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in Other Cool Shots
I have not gone out in a while to take photographs and I was going to go for landscape but decided to opt out of that and go for something different.

#1 Presidio, SF California
_DSC0045_edited-1.jpg

Taken at sunset. Driving around the Presidio and old worn down building with rusting metal bars caught my attention.

_DSC0047_edited-1.jpg

_DSC0048_edited-1-1.jpg

Walked around the building taking different angles of the various metal bars.

_DSC0049_edited-1-2.jpg

_DSC0050_edited-1-1.jpg

_DSC0053_edited-1.jpg

Cracked paint landscape

Comments

• justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    One of the only two landscapish type shots

The Golden Gate Bridge with the fog rolling in.
    _DSC0055_edited-1.jpg

Vibrant Hydrant long exposure with a car passing by but it looks as if the hydrant has a laser rolleyes1.gif
    _DSC0056_edited-1-1.jpg
  • CoryUTCoryUT Registered Users Posts: 367 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Some interesting shots. The bar photos (first post) don't do much for me, but that's personal taste. I do like the two from the second post.

The panorama of the bridge with fog rolling in is really cool. The only thing I would say is that the foreground (grass) is a little bit distracting. I think it's too bright. Try to bring focus away from that and onto the bridge a little more. Overall great photo.

Great colors in the hydrant photo, but I think there is too much empty space on the left. I would (next time) re-frame and put the hydrant to the left. This would give us more of the great looking light effects from the car as well. Maybe just crop out the emptiness in this photo and see what it looks like.
    Daily Shot
    My Photographic Adventures

Nikon D7000 | 10-20 | 50 | 55-200
  • IanJIanJ Registered Users Posts: 32 Big grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like the photos of the bars, theres some nice textures in all that rust.

I also like the hydrant one of the two landscapes, but like the previous poster, I'd be tempted to crop out some of the empty space on the left.

Ian
  • anvilimageanvilimage Registered Users Posts: 154 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Crissy Field is a cool spot to shoot at night and I've never had any problems from the cops/rangers late at night out there. We were out late last night at the Palace of Fine Arts and almost headed down there...
    Joe Ercoli
    My Photo Blog - www.anvilimage.com
    My Smugmug Gallery
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Like the first bar shot. The wall going down into the shadow says 'lonely place'. The other bar shots are interesting textures, but didn't make me really stop. The paint thing I'm still trying to parse what exactly I'm looking at -- seems amost like something under a microscope, but I realize that it is not. Macro shot of a Saltine is next in mind...

Beautiful shot of the GG. Agree that the grass is bit prominent.

Very clever idea on the hydrant. If you get a chance again with some control of the car, see if you can get the beam coming out of the center of the hydrant, that would take this picture to a next level.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • justin24justin24 Registered Users Posts: 402 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Thats a good idea I will try that on Thursday. The first shot is actually an out door shot with the sun setting and the light hitting the wall.
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    justin24 wrote:
    Thats a good idea I will try that on Thursday. The first shot is actually an out door shot with the sun setting and the light hitting the wall.

Always love it when reality and the emotion conveyed in print diverge...
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • DogdotsDogdots Registered Users Posts: 8,795 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I like your photo of the Golden Gate Bridge. Its different then all the many other photos one sees of the bridge. Nice shot thumb.gif As for the grass...yeah you could mow some of it out of the photo, but my eyes were fixed on the bridge to really notice.