Options

#31 Standing Vigil

NetterNetter Registered Users Posts: 80 Big grins
edited August 22, 2009 in The Dgrin Challenges
Ok, so here is a possibility for #31. C&C please! Oh, I use Aperture. Let me know what you think. Also just as a little info the outer door has only been closed twice, once for Sept 11 and the other for the shooting of JFK.

621500168_rtp9q-L.jpg

621513895_dbryb-XL.jpg

Oh, and if you think I need to go back and reshoot, no problem, this is 5 minutes from where I live.

Comments

• Options
    KatmitchellKatmitchell Banned Posts: 1,548 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Hello Netter and Welcome to the DG,

I think I see where you are coming from here seeing as the doors are "closed" yet, they are glass and invite us to look almost as if they were "open" ? :D

The scene is a little on the busy side, and it is hard to place a point of interest or main subject ; I think the lines in the doors are a contributing factor to that problem. However, the tighter crop and black and white processing on the second one, cuts down on it being so busy..

If you decide to go with this entry, here are my suggestions..

Take a shot with some fill light.. just to have it as an option..
    Use a tripod if you can and make sure it is level.. There is some tilt going on here.. or if you have to hand hold then you can correct that in PS too..
    Try shooting from several different angles and levels to give yourself choices to work with..

I love iloveyou.gif Gryphons, so I find them charming here..

That is my best advice.. Do you have any other ideas too that your working on? I noticed you posted on the other thread about getting an idea when you walked out of the bar the other night... Was this the idea? If you have others, please share those too.

Best of Luck,

Kat
  • Options
    whitericewhiterice Registered Users Posts: 555 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    :D Hi Netter - welcome to DGrin!

I think Kat is pointing you in the right direction. The tilt is an easy fix.

Overall, I like the b/w conversion, you have an interesting subject, though I'm not certain of the angle you're shooting from. You've got plenty of time to work on this....I'd be interested to see some different angles and compositions on this one.
    - Christopher
    My Photos - Powered by SmugMug!
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    :D Hi Netter - welcome to DGrin!

I think Kat is pointing you in the right direction. The tilt is an easy fix.

Overall, I like the b/w conversion, you have an interesting subject, though I'm not certain of the angle you're shooting from. You've got plenty of time to work on this....I'd be interested to see some different angles and compositions on this one.

The angle is easy to fix, I didn't realize that I hadn't fixed that prior to posting. Yeah, this is the idea I had the other night. I do have other pics that I took but it was from the outside looking in, too harsh of sun light ect. So, I am going to go back in the evening when that won't be a problem. Thanks for the suggestions. I will post another version here soon.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Hello Netter and Welcome to the DG,

That is my best advice.. Do you have any other ideas too that your working on? I noticed you posted on the other thread about getting an idea when you walked out of the bar the other night... Was this the idea? If you have others, please share those too.

Best of Luck,

Kat

The other idea that I had was one of my dog, but now that someone else posted their dog, I have decided against it. I will keep thinking on it though as there is still time.
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    Here is the view from the outside.
    621761660_R785y-L.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 16, 2009
    I like the outside shot.. I can see the doors are "closed" much better because I can see the handles etc... I love all of that gold.

It would be cool to see a full frame shot of the doors, but that is a difficult task without capturing your own reflection..headscratch.gif

Kat
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    I like the outside shot better as well. The mix of the closed inner doors and open massive doors is great for the theme.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    kds1kds1 Registered Users Posts: 242 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Take this for what it's worth since I am not experienced at this. I happen to like the warm brown/bronze of the doors outside in your first shot, and I like the shot taken inside looking out better than outside looking at the doors.

I do agree that the first shot is busy, though. If it were me, in addition to the tilt fixing, I might play around with selective coloring to see if I could retain the warm bronze against the black outline of the doors and gryphons. I really like the black lines of the panes of glass and the gryphons (although I'm apparently spelling that incorrectly). I would try to select the bronze door at the right of the shot and keep it in color and turn the rest of the shot black and white to make it appear perhaps less busy. probably also play around with the levels and sharpening too, then, to make the 'busy' stuff fade a little and the bronze door, black window lines and the gryphons pop a bit more.

Just my two cents. :D

Kara
  • Options
    edited August 17, 2009
    Ok, so here is a completely different photo, for a title I am thinking "The Closing of Summer" but really, up for any suggestions. Saw this out on a walk with the dogs today. Let me know what you think.

622669295_xz3iu-L.jpg
  • Options
    travelwaystravelways Registered Users Posts: 7,854 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Hi Netter,

I think I like your #2 because it also shows the closing doors devices on the top.

- the B&W conversion also keeps the focus on the doors rather than the outside.

Your last shot is very nice but it doesn't tell too much to me for the theme.
    Tatiana - Seeing the world through my camera
    TravelwaysPhotos.com ...... Facebook
    VegasGreatAttractions.com
    Travelways.com
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    I agree.. #2 is the strongest so far.. Were you able to re-shoot it yet?

Kat
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Netter wrote:
    622669295_xz3iu-Th.jpg

Ooooh... I like. I'd work with levels to get the darks a bit darker and the lights a bit lighter so that it really pops. Also, I think you need to make it more clear whether this is meant to be centered or offset, if it should be offset, then I'd try to offset it just a bit more.

I think it's stronger than the shots of the doors. Great idea and lovely shot. thumb.gif
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Updates:
    Ok, so here is the reshoot from the doors. I only did from the outside. I did use my tripod this time. But I also realized that this building is on a slight incline, thus, had a hard time getting the foreground level. I did a couple of different saturations, but as always, let me know what you think. I also worked on the open flower picture as well.
    624333128_hSVwo-M.jpg

624334968_HSAkZ-M.jpg

624342117_WJHHd-M.jpg

624342552_W9Rgg-M.jpg
  • Options
    adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    I like the doors more than the dandilions (dandilions just don't say 'open' to me). Of the door pix, I'm a bit torn on the lighting -- I think I like the first one better (but I keep waffling for some reason). What would improve things would be to shoot wider, and then use PS to filter->distort->lens correction adjust the vertical keystoning and maybe a little lens distortion to get the sides vertical. My eyes see the stone work as a little soft; I don't know what aperture you used, and if you used a tripod or not, but I'd also suggest getting as much detail as possible in the image. Luckily it seems you can reshoot. I usually come to all of these same realizations when I'm in another state....
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    adbsgicom wrote:
    I like the doors more than the dandilions (dandilions just don't say 'open' to me). Of the door pix, I'm a bit torn on the lighting -- I think I like the first one better (but I keep waffling for some reason). What would improve things would be to shoot wider, and then use PS to filter->distort->lens correction adjust the vertical keystoning and maybe a little lens distortion to get the sides vertical. My eyes see the stone work as a little soft; I don't know what aperture you used, and if you used a tripod or not, but I'd also suggest getting as much detail as possible in the image. Luckily it seems you can reshoot. I usually come to all of these same realizations when I'm in another state....

Unfortunately, I only have Aperature 2, not photoshop and Aperature 2 does not have lens correction. Also due to budget constraints (my husband is back in school, and boy are those books $$$!) right now, I am unable to get PS for now. Otherwise, I would! Thanks so much for the suggestions though. I appreciate it! If anything, these contests will help me in my learning!

Also, I am too couldn't decide on a color of the doors, thus the reason I posted both.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Definitely the new shots on the doors.. I too cannot decide..

First instinct was for the black and white because it is cleaner and sharper looking, however, once i kept looking, I liked the color on the other one..

A question..

Did you shoot them this way or are these crops?

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Definitely the new shots on the doors.. I too cannot decide..

First instinct was for the black and white because it is cleaner and sharper looking, however, once i kept looking, I liked the color on the other one..

A question..

Did you shoot them this way or are these crops?

Kat

These are just slightly cropped. Too much foreground in the non crop. I can post with the doors without the crop if that would help.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Yes, it would be nice to see what you are starting with in this series.. and can you post them in xlarge? It gives a truer representation of how it will look in the entry gallery..

Thanks Netter

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Wow netter - you've been busy!

I really like your new exterior shots, particularly #6 - clap.gif though I wish it had those moody shadows of #5. What pulls me in is the perspective you shot from. What I find difficult though is determining where you should crop, because there is some nice masonry work above the arch, particularly the head stone. If you have the ability, I might clone out the half medallion on the upper right - the asymmetry bothers me just a bit.

Having said all that, I do like #7 - kinkajou was spot on with her suggestions. You're rework looks very nice - but I agree that it doesn't fit the theme as well.

Nice work!
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    I just wanted to say thanks for all this feedback. I really do appreciate it.bowdown.gif Also, how exciting for someone to tell me I have moody shadows. Apparently 6:35 on a Tuesday night makes for moody shadows.mwink.gif
    Both without any crop. And in XL:D

624634798_p6UqH-XL.jpg

624642455_DjEdZ-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    whiterice wrote:
    Wow netter - you've been busy!

I really like your new exterior shots, particularly #6 - clap.gif though I wish it had those moody shadows of #5. What pulls me in is the perspective you shot from. What I find difficult though is determining where you should crop, because there is some nice masonry work above the arch, particularly the head stone. If you have the ability, I might clone out the half medallion on the upper right - the asymmetry bothers me just a bit.

Having said all that, I do like #7 - kinkajou was spot on with her suggestions. You're rework looks very nice - but I agree that it doesn't fit the theme as well.

Nice work!

Off topic, but I was looking at your photos last night, the ones under favorites, they are great. So much transformation in that little boy of yours.
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Netter wrote:
    Off topic, but I was looking at your photos last night, the ones under favorites, they are great. So much transformation in that little boy of yours.

iloveyou.gif Thanks netter....he's just the gosh darn apple of my eye. Now if he'd only sit still so that I could take a picture......
    - Christopher
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hi Netter..

ok,, I see that you do not have much width room to play with here.. so.. I would suggest a little less foreground so that the doors are front and center and are a little closer to us. The tilt is a little bit of an issue.. It would be nice if you could re-shoot just like this but get the camera up higher and more level with the doors so they are not leaning backwards.

Or go with this one and give me until this evening to research how a tilt might be fixed in aperture or another program.. I know that a lot of people use GIMP who do not have Photoshop, but I am not sure how you use GIMP to fix a tilt either. If someone else does not chime in with a tutorial, then I will swing back by this evening when I have more time and try to find on for you..

Both are great, but I like the black and white one best as it is better lit, but then either one works, it is just the tilt that needs a little work and perhaps a sharpen pass..

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hi Netter..

ok,, I see that you do not have much width room to play with here.. so.. I would suggest a little less foreground so that the doors are front and center and are a little closer to us. The tilt is a little bit of an issue.. It would be nice if you could re-shoot just like this but get the camera up higher and more level with the doors so they are not leaning backwards.

Or go with this one and give me until this evening to research how a tilt might be fixed in aperture or another program.. I know that a lot of people use GIMP who do not have Photoshop, but I am not sure how you use GIMP to fix a tilt either. If someone else does not chime in with a tutorial, then I will swing back by this evening when I have more time and try to find on for you..

Both are great, but I like the black and white one best as it is better lit, but then either one works, it is just the tilt that needs a little work and perhaps a sharpen pass..

Kat

I have to actually work tomorrow (my normal day job, 12 hour shifts, as I am nurse) so I will try and reshoot either tonight or Friday; to get further back from the doors to see if that helps at all with the tilt.

You are awesome!iloveyou.gif Again, thanks!
  • Options
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hey Netter,

You might consider downloading GIMP. It is free and does most things that Photoshop does, almost, but at least the things that matter for photo editing..

Here is a link : http://www.gimp.org/features/

Scroll down and look at that window in the example.. This is the tilt distortion I am seeing in your shot and this software can fix it... You will need to go here to download the software if you so choose to give it a spin..

http://www.gimp.org/

If you decide to re-shoot... be sure not to step back too far because you don't want to lose focus on the "doors" due to the closed theme...
    I think the larger issue is this tilt.. Although if you can re-shoot it might help because that bird up top needs room to fit in the frame..

Hope this helped and did not confuse...

Kat
  • Options
    KinkajouKinkajou Registered Users Posts: 1,240 Major grins
    edited August 19, 2009
    Hey Netter,

You might consider downloading GIMP. It is free and does most things that Photoshop does, almost, but at least the things that matter for photo editing..

Here is a link : http://www.gimp.org/features/

GIMP! GIMP! GIMP! GIMP! It's like Photoshop for us poor folks. :D I use it and find that it works well for my current needs. Definitely worth trying.
    Webpage

Spread the love! Go comment on something!
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    Ok, I think I am going to go with this one. I tried adjusting with Gimp, however, it cut the photo off in weird areas. However, thanks for the suggestion! Such a wealth of knowledge here!

Final:
    626419296_o5HTv-XL.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 21, 2009
    Just an ever so slight tilt to the left.. not a huge one, but it is there..

Is this the process your going to go with, or will you process the colors like the other 2 that you posted prior to this?

I think you did a superb job... You brought this capture a long way..

Best of Luck to you in the contest..thumb.gif

Kat
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Just an ever so slight tilt to the left.. not a huge one, but it is there..

Is this the process your going to go with, or will you process the colors like the other 2 that you posted prior to this?

I think you did a superb job... You brought this capture a long way..

Best of Luck to you in the contest..thumb.gif

Kat

Ok, so I ended up going back in and giving Gimp another try. I finally just posted the photo. Ah, I told my husband I was over this photo. Too much of looking at essentially the same photo. But thanks so much for all your suggestions Kat!
  • Options
    edited August 22, 2009
    Your Welcome Netter..:D

I know how ya feel, It is that way for me sometimes too..

I really love the color on the one you chose, and I can see the open and closed doors both.. thumb.gif

Best of Luck to you...rolleyes1.gif

Kat