#6 from Tina

Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
edited August 17, 2009 in People

Comments

• afev0602afev0602 Registered Users Posts: 166 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Wow, a very powerful image.
    Well, I guess you would call me... genus, humanus... Alice.
    http://aliceswonderland.smugmug.com/
  • thoththoth Registered Users Posts: 1,085 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Powerful indeed...

Most shots I've seen of KKK members seem to dehumanize them by taking advantage of the veiled mystery and ritual of their presence. But this shot does just the opposite. This man is, quite obvious, very human and vary angry. One might almost think that he has a damned good reason for being so upset.

Yet another wonderful shot, Tina.
    Travis
  • imagesofhimimagesofhim Registered Users Posts: 527 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    EXTREMELY moving---in MULTIPLE directions! Thank you for yet another AMAZING photo!
    Blessings,
    Marjohn

Images of Him Photography
  • ic4uic4u Registered Users Posts: 1,455 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Wow! Definitely grabs you, not in the most pleasant of emotions, but that's what makes a great image, evoking any kind of emotion
    Karin

"Dance like no one is watching. Sing like no one is listening. Love like you've never been hurt and live like it's heaven on Earth." — Mark Twain
  • richterslrichtersl Registered Users Posts: 3,322 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    Amazing and intimidating.
  • FlutistFlutist Registered Users Posts: 704 Major grins
    edited August 16, 2009
    the photo itself is....."powerful" in many senses of the word.

the subject and content matter, I'd really hoped still didn't exist....
    ~Shannon~

Canon 50D, Rebel XTi,Canon 24-105L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Tamron 28-75 2.8, 430EX
    www.sbrownphotography.smugmug.com
    my real job
    looking for someone to photograph my wedding 8/11
  • bdcolenbdcolen Registered Users Posts: 3,804 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009

So wonderfully oxmoronic. mwink.gif
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com
    "He not busy being born is busy dying." Bob Dylan

"The more ambiguous the photograph is, the better it is..." Leonard Freed
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

Or maybe not oxymoronic at all...
    Travis
  • Tina ManleyTina Manley Registered Users Posts: 179 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:

Amen :D

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    God Almighty! This photo is terrifying! Reminds me so much of Alfred Eisenstaedt's picture of Goebbels at The League of Nations (Geneva 1933) - it certainly takes your breath away!

reaches for chair…

…phew!

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wil Davis wrote:
    God Almighty! This photo is terrifying! Reminds me so much of Alfred Eisenstaedt's picture of Goebbels at The League of Nations (Geneva 1933) - it certainly takes your breath away!

reaches for chair…

…phew!

- Wil

That image was evil personified. I felt dirty looking at it. Tina's image, on the other hand has me pitying the subject. What a pathetic person.
    edited August 17, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    That image was evil personified. I felt dirty looking at it. Tina's image, on the other hand has me pitying the subject. What a pathetic person.
    I guess such is the nature of excellent photography but I don't get that at all. Although I certainly don't fall in line with his obvious message this photo, to me, shows a man with convictions. If anything I would tend to feel envy for a person, be they right or wrong, who shows as much passion and dedication as this man.

"Pvt. Joker is silly and he's ignorant but he's got guts, and guts is enough." - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman
    Travis
    edited August 17, 2009

"Christian" Knights? Oh, I'd say that is a classic oxymoron. :D
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited August 17, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I guess such is the nature of excellent photography but I don't get that at all. Although I certainly don't fall in line with his obvious message this photo, to me, shows a man with convictions. If anything I would tend to feel envy for a person, be they right or wrong, who shows as much passion and dedication as this man.

"Pvt. Joker is silly and he's ignorant but he's got guts, and guts is enough." - Gunnery Sergeant Hartman

It's incredibly easy for a stupid, unthinking person to have this kind of "passion and dedication." It's not something to envy; it's something to fear.
    bd@bdcolenphoto.com

edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    "Christian" Knights? Oh, I'd say that is a classic oxymoron. :D

Oh, I see... take the easy way out. mwink.gifrolleyes1.gif
    Travis
  • marikrismarikris Registered Users Posts: 930 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    It's incredibly easy for a stupid, unthinking person to have this kind of "passion and dedication." It's not something to envy; it's something to fear.

I keep thinking how terrifying it would be if his eyes shifted a little and turned to me with that look in his face. Gives me the shivers.
    edited August 17, 2009
    "I keep thinking how terrifying it would be if his eyes shifted a little and turned to me with that look in his face"

66547-00707-587LA.jpg

Here you go!

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
    edited August 17, 2009
    bdcolen wrote:
    I don't want to derail Tina's thread too much but this image does provoke some potentially heated conversation. I'll certainly not pursue this any further if that is your wish, Tina! thumb.gif

Stupid and unthinking are dangerous words in my opinion. These people are as cool and calculated as any other fundementalist group in the world. Ignorant might be closer but I still don't buy it; they know what they are doing.

Is "Christain Knights" really as oxymoronic as it would seem on the surface? Certainly the KKK doesn't have a copyright on hate. Would a gay man see this image in a different light?

I know this is a can of worms so ignore it or tell me to shush if you'd like. :D
    Travis
    edited August 17, 2009
    Here you go!

Now THAT is evil... *shudder*
    Travis
    edited August 17, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    I don't want to derail Tina's thread too much but this image does provoke some potentially heated conversation. I'll certainly not pursue this any further if that is your wish, Tina! thumb.gif"

Any time my photos provoke heated conversation, I'm happy. mwink.gif

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • michswissmichswiss Registered Users, Retired Mod Posts: 2,235 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    thoth wrote:
    Now THAT is evil... *shudder*

No it's not. He's an idiot. A dangerous idiot, but an idiot just the same.

Now the people that fund his hate. That sit at the table next to you in a restaurant that you'd never take a second notice of. That have the same idiotic hate in their minds, but also the patience, money, intellect and influence to get this particular idiot to do what he's doing. Now that's evil.
  • Wil DavisWil Davis Registered Users Posts: 1,692 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Now that is interesting…

…I find the second of Tina's pictures nowhere near as intimidating as the first, even though the chap's gaze is directly at the camera. I think there's much more hatred in the first of the two; in the second it's as if he has a faint smile on his face; almost as if he's mugging at me eek7.gif

- Wil
    "…………………" - Marcel Marceau
  • pathfinderpathfinder Super Moderators Posts: 14,703 moderator
    edited August 17, 2009
    Arresting images.

May I ask how recently these were captured?
    Pathfinder - www.pathfinder.smugmug.com

Moderator of the Technique Forum and Finishing School on Dgrin
    edited August 17, 2009
    michswiss wrote:
    No it's not. He's an idiot. A dangerous idiot, but an idiot just the same.

Now the people that fund his hate. That sit at the table next to you in a restaurant that you'd never take a second notice of. That have the same idiotic hate in their minds, but also the patience, money, intellect and influence to get this particular idiot to do what he's doing. Now that's evil.
    Wil Davis wrote:
    Now that is interesting…

…I find the second of Tina's pictures nowhere near as intimidating as the first, even though the chap's gaze is directly at the camera. I think there's much more hatred in the first of the two; in the second it's as if he has a faint smile on his face; almost as if he's mugging at me eek7.gif

- Wil

Yes, you're both absolutely right. I really meant that kind of Frankenstein-movie evil rather than push-an-old-lady-down-and-steal-her-groceries kind of evil. :D
    Travis
  • adbsgicomadbsgicom Registered Users Posts: 3,615 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    First one is the stuff of nightmares. The second one isn't as scary (to me) as the first because he looks more 'crazy' in it. The first is pure passionate hatred.

Marvelous job at capturing the image, wish it weren't possible.
    - Andrew

Who is wise? He who learns from everyone.
    My SmugMug Site
    edited August 17, 2009
    pathfinder wrote:
    Arresting images.

May I ask how recently these were captured?

I wish I could say they were from the 1960's and ancient history, but I took these photos in 1989 - fairly recent history. Google the Ku Klux Klan to see how active they still are today.

Tina

www.tinamanley.com
  • Awais YaqubAwais Yaqub Registered Users Posts: 10,572 Major grins
    edited August 17, 2009
    Wow fantastic
    Thine is the beauty of light; mine is the song of fire. Thy beauty exalts the heart; my song inspires the soul. Allama Iqbal

My Gallery
    edited August 17, 2009
    I wish I could say they were from the 1960's and ancient history, but I took these photos in 1989 - fairly recent history. Google the Ku Klux Klan to see how active they still are today.
    I grew up in small-town Missouri and could frequently see white robes and bonfires down by the creek from my bedroom window. When I left that area for the Army, in 1992, I was still familiar with at least a dozen or so folks that were openly members of the Klan.

When I returned home from the Army in 1999 things had changed a little but not much. I think, if anything, people were just more quiet about it. Around that time a little town called Sumner, just 15 miles from where I grew up, was finally forced to remove the sign under the city limits sign warning African Americans (my words, certainly not theirs) about what might happen if they were caught in town over night.

Groups like the KKK are alive and well all over the world. It may seem absurd to many, including myself, but it's not hard to stick around when your presence is tolerated, or even welcomed, by your neighbors.
    Travis