Opinion needed of Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Digital ED

goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
edited January 25, 2011 in Cameras
I've used the search thread and found a few older hits for this lens....
But I was wondering if anyone is useing this lens (Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Digital ED) and what their opinion is of it.
I will be useing it mainly for peewee thru High School football, mostly daylight, some night games. Also nature shots utilizing natural daylight.
I've found it for $310, not sure if I can pass this up.

Comments

• InternautInternaut Registered Users Posts: 347 Major grins
    edited August 23, 2009
    Surprised you've had no replies....
    It's a nice enough lens within its limitations though you need to bear in mind that shooting at equivalent FoV 300-600 might take some mastering. Also, this is not a lens for shooting sports at night. In the day you should be fine but at night you're going to be pushing the camera (thinking ISO) to its limits.
  • run_kmcrun_kmc Registered Users Posts: 263 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    It's.. fine. It'll give consistent results that you will be happy with, as long as you never try the 50-200. There's no going back from the 50-200. :D
  • goldenstarphotogoldenstarphoto Registered Users Posts: 252 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Thanks for the replies Internaut and Run KMC.....I was a little surprised no one else replied either. I even showered recently so I don't smell.......
    I googled the lens and read a ton of reviews and was made a offer I couldn't refuse from another DGRIN member. My lens should arrive tomorrow from FEDEX. I will be sitting at my window looking out like my two dogs, maybe even drooling. :D
  • chrisunderwoodimageschrisunderwoodimages Registered Users Posts: 70 Big grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I use mine for wildlife and birding. It is a good lens for this but keep in mind you need good light. I find that on a sunny day, I rarely have to push iso past 400.

I have used it for sports (a track meet at work once) and it was ok for that, but not terrific (although that likely had more to do with the fact that it was a hot hazy day and that never helps for long lens work).

Wednesday night, I will be testing it at an evening event - an outdoor opera. I assume that there will be stage lighting, but I will be pushing it to get good photos with this lens in that situation unless the stage lighting is superb. If it isn't, it will be time to jack the iso to get the shot and plan each shot with a black and white conversion in mind.

In general, I would say that this lens is quite good for the amount of money it costs. I definitely recommend it, but suggest keeping its limits in mind:)
    Olympus E-520, E-3
    Zuiko Digital:14-42 f3.5-5.6 / 40-150 f4-5.6 / 70-300 f4-5.6 / 50 f2 / 14-54 f2.8-3.5 / 50-200 f2.8-3.5
    OMZ: 28 f3.5 / 50 f1.4 / 135 f3.5

Just For Fun: http://www.flickr.com/photos/chris_photo_gallery
    Personal: http://cunderwood.smugmug.com/
    Commercial: http://www.chrisunderwoodimages.com
  • Art ScottArt Scott Registered Users Posts: 8,959 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    Everyone I have every known that used Oly products never regretted it......all their glass is top notch......maybe not the fastest glass around but it is very good glass..............
    "Genuine Fractals was, is and will always be the best solution for enlarging digital photos." ....Vincent Versace ... ... COPYRIGHT YOUR WORK ONLINE ... ... My Website

• marlofmarlof Registered Users Posts: 1,833 Major grins
    edited August 24, 2009
    I don't have that particular lens, but I've seen tons of images by it that are excellent.

And Art, as for speed, try beating the f2 zooms Olympus offers. ;-)
    enjoy being here while getting there
    edited August 25, 2009
    Chris, Art and Marlof, thank you for taking the time to reply. I should get my lens today via Fedex........I've already got my camera gear by the front door and am waiting to test it out the moment it gets here. Getting a new lens is like Christmas for adults!
  • WigProWigPro Registered Users Posts: 43 Big grins
    edited August 26, 2009
    Great Lens
    I have this lens and it is wonderful, as mentioned it is great on bright and sunny days and fantastic for macro work. I have both the 70-300 and the 50-200 and of course I prefer the 50-200, but I still find that when I need a little extra reach I head for the 70-300, plus I love shooting macros and it works very well for that.

You will enjoy this lens, for the money it is a real winner.

Good Luck,

Jim
    I've used the search thread and found a few older hits for this lens....
    But I was wondering if anyone is useing this lens (Olympus Zuiko 70-300mm f/4-5.6 Digital ED) and what their opinion is of it.
    I will be useing it mainly for peewee thru High School football, mostly daylight, some night games. Also nature shots utilizing natural daylight.
    I've found it for $310, not sure if I can pass this up.
    Olympus E-30, E-500 - Oly 9-18 Wide Angle Zoom, 50 Macro, 14-45, 40-150, 50-200 non-SWD, 70-300 and 14-54, Olympus FL-36 TTL Flash, Bower SFD9260 TTL Flash, Bower SFD 328 Flash, Cokin Pro Z Filter System, Adobe CS3 Suite, tripods, cases and a whole bunch of other stuff!!!
    SmugMug Pics - Click Here Personal Website - Click Here
  • ziggy53ziggy53 Super Moderators Posts: 24,078 moderator
    edited August 26, 2009
    WigPro wrote:
    I have this lens and it is wonderful, as mentioned it is great on bright and sunny days and fantastic for macro work. I have both the 70-300 and the 50-200 and of course I prefer the 50-200, but I still find that when I need a little extra reach I head for the 70-300, plus I love shooting macros and it works very well for that.

You will enjoy this lens, for the money it is a real winner.

Good Luck,

Jim

Jim, welcome to the Digital Grin. clap.gif

Thanks for your comments and observations.
    ziggy53
    Moderator of the Cameras and Accessories forums
    edited August 26, 2009
    Thanks Jim,

Wow, I'm your first DGRIN post, I feel honored. I checked out your website and you have some great pictures in there. I bookmarked it so I can come back and check it out later. Thanks again for the reply.
  • laplap Registered Users Posts: 40 Big grins
    edited January 25, 2011
    new on the block!!
    I know this is an old post...but I just started a new venture in my life...being a photographer...aaaahhhhhh

I'm shooting a birthday party at Pump It Up (kids bouncy play house) this Friday and one of the sessions is "Glow"...they turn on the black light and the kids all wear white tee shirts. I'm assuming that I can't take photos during this portion, but I wanted to check with the experts!!!!!

Thanks!!!!!!